EPL

Solskjaer warns of centre-back cull if Man United sign Maguire

By Sports Desk July 16, 2019

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer said Manchester United will have to reduce their centre-back options if they prise Harry Maguire from Leicester City.

United have been linked with Maguire throughout the off-season, reports claiming the Red Devils are close to agreeing a world-record fee for a defender.

Solskjaer has an array of options in the centre-back area, with Victor Lindelof, Eric Bailly, Chris Smalling, Phil Jones, Marcos Rojo and Axel Tuanzebe all on tour in Australia.

When asked about his stockpile of defenders, Solskjaer told reporters in Perth on Tuesday: "Of course, there's a limit of players.

"Whoever performs will be part of the team and whoever doesn't has a fight to get back in.

"There's been loads of speculation but I can't really say anything. We'll work to find a relationship with the ones we've got."

Tuanzebe, 21, is back with United following an impressive loan spell at Aston Villa, who he helped secure promotion to the Premier League last season.

Solskjaer, who confirmed Fred, Matteo Darmian and Dean Henderson will join the squad for the next part of their pre-season tour in Singapore, added: "Axel has got a great chance of staying here and playing. He had a great season last year.

"It was a stop-start season with injuries, but he's really proven that he is capable of playing at that level, he got promoted with Villa and he's come back very strong, focused.

"He did well in the first game here, so he's one of the young, exciting players that I can't wait to see more."

United will face rivals Leeds United in Perth on Wednesday following their 2-0 win over Perth Glory on Saturday.

Related items

  • Celtic fined by UEFA over banner and chanting Celtic fined by UEFA over banner and chanting

    Celtic have been fined €15,000 (£12,886) by UEFA for obsence chanting and displaying an "illicit banner" in their Europa League win against Lazio at Celtic Park last month.

    Home supporters unveiled several banners ahead of the game, including one depicting former Italian prime minister Benito Mussolini hanging upside down.

    Another contained a message in Italian that translated to "f*** off".

    UEFA's control, ethics and disciplinary body has also fined Lazio €10,000 (£8,593) for "illicit chanting" during the meeting on October 24, which Celtic won 2-1.

    Meanwhile, Club Brugge have been fined €14,000 for breaching safety regulations by blocking the stairways during their home Champions League clash with Paris Saint-Germain a month ago.

    Ligue 1 champions PSG have been told to pay €50,000 and threatened with a one-match away ban for supporters if they offend again in the next 12 months after setting off fireworks in the same match.

  • Bale named in Real Madrid squad after Wales banner controversy Bale named in Real Madrid squad after Wales banner controversy

    Gareth Bale has been included in Real Madrid's squad for their LaLiga encounter with Real Sociedad despite the controversy caused by his celebrations after Wales' successful Euro 2020 qualification.

    Wales booked their place at next year's finals with a 2-0 win over Hungary in Cardiff on Tuesday.

    Bale, who has not played for Madrid since October 5, featured from the start for Ryan Giggs' side and was pictured after the match singing and dancing behind a banner that read: 'WALES. GOLF. MADRID…IN THAT ORDER'.

    The slogan originates from a chant by Wales supporters that pokes fun at perceptions among the Spanish media, who have accused Bale of bumping Madrid down his list of priorities and spending too much time on the golf course.

    Those celebrations drew further criticism from sections of the Madrid press and Los Blancos' fanbase, but Zidane – whose relationship with Bale has reportedly been a troubled one – claimed on Friday that the issue had been overblown.

    Zidane has now included Bale in his squad for Saturday's clash with Sociedad, who would move above Madrid with a win at the Santiago Bernabeu.

    Bale's inclusion comes at the expense of Vinicius Junior, with the teenage winger missing out on the 19-man selection.

    Vinicius has made eight appearances in LaLiga this term, though only four of those have been starts.

  • Ederson returns as City look to bounce back against Chelsea Ederson returns as City look to bounce back against Chelsea

    Manchester City will welcome back goalkeeper Ederson for the Premier League visit of Chelsea on Saturday.

    The Brazil international suffered a thigh injury during City's 1-1 Champions League draw at Atalanta earlier this month, ruling him out of the 3-1 defeat at Liverpool where understudy Claudio Bravo deputised.

    The reverse gave Jurgen Klopp's men a nine-point advantage over City at the Premier League summit and the reigning champions lie fourth, a point and a place behind their weekend opponents.

    Manager Pep Guardiola can therefore be grateful Ederson's brief but keenly felt absence is at an end.

    Asked whether his number one would be fit at a pre-match news conference, Guardiola replied: "Yep. He trained the last two or three days without pain."

    The fallout from City's loss at Anfield extended to a confrontation between Raheem Sterling and Liverpool defender Joe Gomez while on international duty.

    Manager Gareth Southgate elected to stand down Sterling for England's 7-0 Euro 2020 qualifying win over Montenegro before restoring him to face Kosovo, but Guardiola believes the episode is done and dusted for his star attacker.

    "I spoke with him. He's fine," he said.

    "He said Joe is an excellent guy and they have a good relationship.

    "It sometimes happens."

    Asked whether such a flashpoint mirrored the widely reported hostility between Barcelona and Real Madrid players on international duty during his time in Spain, Guardiola was somewhat sceptical.

    "I don't think so. [There is] no comparison," he replied.

    Guardiola must do without Bernardo Silva against Chelsea, after the Football Association imposed a one-match ban and an education course upon the Portugal playmaker for a racially insensitive tweet he sent to team-mate Benjamin Mendy.

    Throughout the affair, Guardiola has staunchly defended Silva's character as opposed to engaging with what offence might have been caused elsewhere, earning criticism in some quarters.

    Nevertheless, he sounded a similar tone on Friday.

    "In that situation the less important thing is the fact we are going to miss him," he said.

    "He has been accused of something he is not, so if they want to pick up someone to show something he was the right person.

    "He will be careful using the social media. If this can help to do a better society, okay. I'm pretty sure Bernardo accepts this punishment.

    "He is not like he has been accused. They don't know him."

    Despite such controversies and long-term injuries to the likes of Leroy Sane and Aymeric Laporte, Guardiola remained bullish over his team's prospects of mounting a credible title defence.

    "A few weeks ago there was just two contenders and for the rest it was impossible, now it's four and maybe six in a few days," he added.

    "We're in November, a long time to play and we try to focus on the next one."

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.