Joao Felix out to emulate Atletico's Portuguese greats

By Sports Desk July 07, 2019

Atletico Madrid's €126million teenage forward Joao Felix insists he has what it takes to emulate the club's Portuguese greats as he prepares for his first season in LaLiga.

The 19-year-old followed in the footsteps of former Portugal internationals Paulo Futre, Simao and Tiago when he opted to join the club from Benfica, and he has set his sights on surpassing their achievements in the Spanish capital.

In an interview with the club's official website, he also spoke about the importance of head coach Diego Simeone's ability to motivate his players and dismissed suggestions that his relative inexperience would hold him back.

"Simeone is a coach that transfers aggressiveness and motivation into the team, which he also did as a player," said Joao Felix, who scored 20 goals in all competitions last season. "That helps us a lot. He proves his talent and helps us on the pitch.

"Several Portuguese players have played here; big players that were important for Portuguese football. I want to do as well or even better than them.

"I hope to do as well as possible, think positively, work hard in order to complete a great season and be a star at Atletico Madrid.

"Age influences some things but I'm mature enough to face this situation. I know what it means to be at an important club, and everybody says that even though I'm 19 it doesn't look like it."

Joao Felix, who will wear the number seven jersey that formerly belonged to Antoine Griezmann, revealed he has followed Atletico's fortunes in recent years and reflected on the club's LaLiga victory in 2013-14, as well as their Europa League triumph in 2017-18.

He also mentioned Atletico's Champions League final defeats in 2013-14 and 2015-16 as he looked forward to pulling on the shirt of a club he described as one of the world's best.

"I'm very happy," he said. "Everybody wants to play in the world's best teams and Atletico are one of them. Several clubs were interested but I chose Atletico.

"They are the one that I liked the most and the one which had the best conditions for me to go. Atletico are one of the best teams in the world.

"Every player wants to play for the world's top clubs. The opportunity came up and I'm here to give my all. They are a team that I've followed a lot in the Spanish league.

"I even saw them win the league and the Europa League. I also watched the two finals that they didn't win. I've always followed the Spanish league, including Atleti."

Related items

  • Rumour Has It: Manchester United to make fresh Eriksen approach Rumour Has It: Manchester United to make fresh Eriksen approach

    Christian Eriksen is back on Manchester United's transfer radar.

    The Red Devils are said to be preparing a January bid for the Tottenham midfielder, whose contract expires at the end of the season.

    Eriksen reportedly turned down a move to Old Trafford earlier this year.

     

    TOP STORY – UNITED REIGNITE ERIKSEN INTEREST

    Could Jose Mourinho unintentionally do his old employers another favour?

    Tottenham lost to United in midweek and are now about to receive an offer for playmaker Eriksen from their Premier League rivals, reports The Mirror.

    The Denmark international has not featured in the starting XI since Mourinho replaced Mauricio Pochettino and, though he prefers a move abroad, might have a decision to make when the transfer window reopens.

    Seemingly not convinced by Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's side a few months ago, Eriksen can sign a pre-contract agreement with clubs overseas from January.

    ROUND-UP

    - Leicester City are set to hand in-demand manager Brendan Rodgers a bumper new deal in a bid to end interest from Arsenal, according to The Telegraph.

    - David Moyes wants a long-term commitment from Everton before agreeing to a second stint in charge at Goodison Park, says The Sun.

    - Contrary to recent reports, ESPN suggests Patrick Vieira is not at the top of Arsenal's shortlist of potential managers.

    - Error-riddled Roberto's ill-fated period as a Premier League goalkeeper could soon be over. The Guardian reports West Ham will look to sell or loan the Spaniard in January, with Turkey a likely destination, as they pursue stronger competition for the injured Lukasz Fabianski.

    - Serie A side  Milan have offered Zlatan Ibrahimovic a contract that could run for 18 months and will demand an answer from his agent Mino Raiola next week, claims CalcioMercato.

    - Diego Simeone wants Atletico Madrid to prioritise signing a striker over Brazilian midfielder Bruno Guimaraes, according to AS. The Spanish newspaper links Krzysztof Piatek, Andrea Belotti of Torino, Chelsea centre-forward Olivier Giroud and Valencia's Rodrigo with moves to the Wanda Metropolitano.

    - Staying with Atletico and the Rojiblancos have entered the race for rumoured Juventus, Inter and Borussia Dortmund target Sandro Tonali, says CalcioMercato. Tonali, 19, is in his third season in Brescia's first-team squad.

  • Eden Hazard is the Michael Jordan of football, says Martinez Eden Hazard is the Michael Jordan of football, says Martinez

    Eden Hazard is the Michael Jordan of football as Belgium boss Roberto Martinez tipped the Real Madrid star to win the Ballon d'Or.

    Hazard – regarded as one of the best players in the world – swapped Premier League outfit Chelsea for LaLiga powerhouse Madrid in a blockbuster transfer prior to the start of the season.

    The Belgium international has showed flashes of his brilliance, earning praise for his performances prior to suffering a small ankle fracture.

    Asked about Hazard, Martinez likened the Red Devils captain to Chicago Bulls great and NBA Hall of Famer Jordan.

    "I see Hazard winning the Ballon d'Or," Martinez told Cadena Ser program El Larguero. "He has the role of being a Ballon d'Or winner.

    "What he has done is the level of the Ballon d'Or and he is always eligible for the prize.

    "He has done it at Chelsea, in France. It is difficult for a foreigner to be at the reference of a project that works to win the league.

    "He is a last-pass player, a Michael Jordan. Hazard is the Michael Jordan of football."

    Hazard – who has scored once this season – will miss El Clasico against Barcelona on December 18 due to a small fracture in his ankle.

    The Madrid forward was forced off in the 2-2 Champions League draw with Paris Saint-Germain last month.

    "It's more the process of the injury," Martinez said on Thursday. "In the game against PSG, he had a setback and now we've discovered that he will spend a bit more time out than expected.

    "There's nothing to worry about. You want a player like Eden to be 100 per cent, and now he'd established himself in the team and he was playing well.

    "He's in very good physical condition and he'll be back very soon. You don't want to lose players of his level, but a team always has to deal with injuries, suspensions... Real Madrid are well prepared for this."

  • Messi's apparent retirement hint was misunderstood – Suarez Messi's apparent retirement hint was misunderstood – Suarez

    Lionel Messi's apparent hint at retirement was "misunderstood", according to Barcelona team-mate Luis Suarez.

    Messi, 32, said "the moment of withdrawal is approaching" after winning a record sixth Ballon d'Or on Monday, leading to retirement talk.

    However, Suarez believes the Argentina star's comments were misunderstood, backing the forward to play for years to come.

    "[Messi] amazes me because he is a one-off and is making history," Suarez told beIN SPORTS.

    "As a friend and team-mate, [the Ballon d'Or] makes me happy and proud because it's a beautiful moment for him.

    "[His comments] were misinterpreted. When someone wins a Ballon d'Or they are happy but also nervous.

    "Leo is a human being and gets nervous like the rest of us. He wanted to say he might have to contend with retiring in a couple of years.

    "It was misunderstood, but I'm sure Leo Messi will continue for a long while yet."

    Suarez has starred for Barca since arriving from Liverpool in 2014, but the 32-year-old has also been linked with a move away despite being contracted until 2021.

    The Uruguay international said he would do what was best for the LaLiga champions, who sit top of the table.

    "If they bring in a new team-mate for me to compete with, that's the same pressure as having to play every three days," Suarez said.

    "And I have to be thinking about the future of the club – as a fan of the club, I have to think about the future, and maybe the best thing is if they sign a young or an established player to carry the torch as Barcelona's number nine."

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.