Egypt 0 South Africa 1: Lorch stuns hosts to secure quarter-final spot

By Sports Desk July 06, 2019

South Africa are into the quarter-finals of the Africa Cup of Nations after a shock 1-0 win over hosts Egypt in Cairo.

Thembinkosi Lorch struck in the closing stages to stun Javier Aguirre's side and keep alive their challenge to become continental champions for just the second time.

Stuart Baxter's side came in for heavy criticism during the group stage as they scraped through despite losing to Ivory Coast and Morocco, but they responded with a disciplined and clinical display that saw them keep Mohamed Salah quiet and make the most of Lorch's late opening.

They will face Nigeria in last eight after the Super Eagles earlier saw off Cameroon 3-2 in a thriller.

Percy Tau's dipping free-kick was brilliantly tipped over by Mohamed El-Shenawy as the half begun in lively fashion.

The best chance of the first 45 minutes fell to Trezeguet, who could only shoot tamely at Ronwen Williams after being set up by Salah following a quick break.

Trezeguet was again set up six yards from goal after a brilliant pass from Salah early in the second half, but his finish was once more a poor one.

Egypt were beginning to assume more control on proceedings but creating chances was still posing a problem, and South Africa captain Thulani Hlatshwayo was only feet from finding the bottom-left corner with a header from a Lorch delivery.

As Egypt continued to throw caution to the wind, they were stung on the break with five minutes of normal time to go. A well-worked move saw Lebo Mothiba stride into space and square the ball for Lorch, who kept his composure to side-foot past El-Shenawy and send his side into the last eight.

Related items

  • Cuadrado extends Juve contract until 2022 Cuadrado extends Juve contract until 2022

    Winger Juan Cuadrado has signed a two-and-a-half-year contract extension at Juventus, the Serie A champions have confirmed.

    The 31-year-old Colombia international joined Juve initially in August 2015, in the first of two consecutive season-long loans from Chelsea.

    A permanent €20million switch was finally secured ahead of the 2017-18 season.

    Cuadrado has won the Scudetto in each of his four seasons in Serie A, along with three Coppas Italia and a Supercoppa Italiana.

    The former Fiorentina man has 15 goals and 28 assists in Juve colours, although he has generally been more concerned with defensive duties this season.

    Injury problems forced Maurizio Sarri to field Cuadrado as a full-back, and the majority of his 14 appearances in all competitions this term have come on the right-hand side of defence.

    Cuadrado is the second senior member of Juventus' squad to pen fresh terms this week after Italy centre-back Leonardo Bonucci renewed until June 2024.

  • Moreno: Ask Luis Enrique about what happened with Spain Moreno: Ask Luis Enrique about what happened with Spain

    Robert Moreno says Luis Enrique is the person who should be asked about the nature of his return to the Spain job.

    Former Barcelona head coach Luis Enrique has been reappointed as national team boss after taking a leave of absence while his daughter Xana, who passed away in August, battled bone cancer.

    Moreno took charge of nine matches, helping Spain qualify for Euro 2020 before it was confirmed that Luis Enrique would be returning.

    News of the change came as something of a surprise and, despite Moreno previously insisting he would not stand in the way of Luis Enrique returning, he reportedly left the Wanda Metropolitano in tears after learning he was no longer head coach shortly after Spain's 5-0 defeat of Romania.

    There are reports Luis Enrique then said he did not wish Moreno to stay on as his assistant, despite the pair having worked together at Celta Vigo, Roma and Barca before taking up office with Spain.

    However, when asked about those rumours, Moreno told reporters on Thursday: "I don't know, ask him!

    "I think the best thing for both parties is that it stays between us. If the other side speaks, let him speak.

    "I have nothing to say because I don't think it would be good for anyone. Firstly, the one it would not be good for is me, and it allows me at this moment to think about myself."

    Moreno had earlier released a statement in which he said he had "a clear conscience" but wanted to avoid "a spiral of reproaches and justifications for each of the parties".

    Despite criticism over the affair, Royal Spanish Football Federation (RFEF) president Luis Rubiales defended his conduct on Wednesday.

    "It was clear that in the moment that Luis Enrique felt strong to return, the door was always open for him," Rubiales told a media conference. "I have always said that and have always been honest, nobody can feel tricked.

    "We want to thank Robert Moreno for his work, he did very well, and we are very happy with what he did. But Robert Moreno told us he'd spoken with Luis Enrique, who had told him he wanted to return. We found out through Moreno that Luis Enrique wanted to return.

    "We knew Luis Enrique wanted to return but [sporting director Jose Francisco] Molina and I decided not to say anything until after the qualification phase was done.

    "On Sunday, Molina spoke with Robert Moreno, and Robert Moreno said he wanted to know now what is going to happen. Molina told him to wait, but if Luis Enrique wants to return to his job we will consider it.

    "On Monday, we received a message from Robert Moreno, who said he would not stand in the way of Luis Enrique returning.

    "The first person who knew that Luis Enrique wanted to return, even before us at the federation, was Robert Moreno.

    "We have always acted with respect and transparency. And we have kept our word. The federation has acted coherently with everyone. We are loyal to Luis Enrique and the person who occupied his job."

  • Neymar set for PSG comeback as illness hits Mbappe Neymar set for PSG comeback as illness hits Mbappe

    Neymar is ready to return to action for Paris Saint-Germain against Lille on Saturday, but the Ligue 1 champions could be without Kylian Mbappe.

    The Brazil superstar has not featured for his club since sustaining a hamstring injury during the October international break, continuing a tale of fitness woe that has stained his time at the Parc des Princes.

    Speaking at a pre-match news conference, head coach Thomas Tuchel confirmed Neymar would be available for a mouth-watering week of fixtures, with trips to Real Madrid and Monaco coming after Lille's visit to the French capital.

    "Neymar feels good," Tuchel said. "He has trained well and will be in the group for tomorrow's match, but he will not be able to play 90 minutes.

    "He will bring us quality and decisive things. When he is with us, we are super dangerous. That is necessary if we want to continue to win

    "Lille, Real Madrid and Monaco represent three challenging games for us."

    Mbappe has often stepped up in Neymar's absence, but the France forward has been laid low by illness having already suffered hamstring, thigh and groin setbacks this term.

    "He had a fever, he has to start training today, we have to wait," said Tuchel, who will be without midfield duo Marco Verratti (knee) and Ander Herrera (thigh).

    Neymar's rehabilitation took in a trip to watch the Davis Cup in Madrid this week, something which neither delighted nor angered his boss.

    "What can I do? I'm not his father, nor the police. I am just his coach," Tuchel added.

    "He trained well. Did I enjoy his trip to Madrid? No. But he was very professional during those two weeks.

    "He did more than others, working with the group and also individually. If all goes well, he can play [against Lille]. Tomorrow we will decide".

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.