Messi sent-off after altercation with Medel

By Sports Desk July 06, 2019

Lionel Messi was sent-off after 37 minutes of Argentina's Copa America clash with Chile for his part in an altercation with Besiktas defender Gary Medel.

Tempers flared throughout the first-half of the third place play-off and Medel retaliated following a challenge from Messi by appearing to aim a headbutt before repeatedly pushing his chest into the five-time Ballon d'Or winner's body.

The pair continued to charge each other until referee Mario Diaz de Vivar produced straight red cards, sparking protests from both teams.

Those complaints continued after the half-time whistle was blown, with Argentina leading 2-0 courtesy of goals from Sergio Aguero and Paulo Dybala.

Messi, who provided the assist for Aguero's opener, was making his 27th appearance for Argentina in the Copa America, surpassing Javier Mascherano to become the most capped Albiceleste player in the competition's history.

The 32-year-old was furious after Argentina's previous game - a 2-0 semi-final defeat to Brazil - for what he perceived to be poor refereeing decisions, branding the officiating "bull****".

Related items

  • Rumour Has It: PSG eye £100m Zaha as Neymar replacement Rumour Has It: PSG eye £100m Zaha as Neymar replacement

    Neymar's future with Paris Saint-Germain remains up in the air.

    The Brazil star has been linked to LaLiga champions Barcelona and Real Madrid as he eyes an exit from the French capital.

    If he does leave, PSG have drawn up contingency plans, with one particular Premier League player attracting interest.

     

    TOP STORY – PSG PLOTTING BIG ZAHA MOVE

    Paris Saint-Germain are lining up a £100million (€109m) move for Crystal Palace forward Wilfried Zaha as a replacement for Neymar, according to The Mirror.

    Neymar wants to return to LaLiga, with former club Barcelona and Real Madrid reportedly vying for his signature before the transfer window shuts on September 2.

    If Neymar does get his wish, former Manchester United forward Zaha has emerged as a potential signing, with PSG reportedly sending a team to London to try to strike a deal.

    The Ivory Coast international was linked to Arsenal and Everton before the Premier League's transfer window closed.

     

    ROUND-UP

    Dinamo Zagreb goalkeeper Dominik Livakovic, 24, has been lined up as a potential replacement for Manchester United's David de Gea, according to The Sun. De Gea, whose last-gasp howler led to United's shock 2-1 loss to Crystal Palace on Saturday, is out of contract in 2020 and is yet to sign an extension.

    - Also at Old Trafford and The Mirror says United are targeting Leicester City playmaker James Maddison. Having already prised Harry Maguire from the Foxes in a world-record deal for a defender, the Red Devils are reportedly ready to return for another Englishman.

    - An agreement between Callum Hudson-Odoi and Chelsea over a new contract has been reached, reports Football London. Hudson-Odoi had previously been linked to Bayern Munich.

    - According to The Express, Inter and Alexis Sanchez will discover whether a season-long loan deal will go through on Monday. Manchester United are willing to sanction Sanchez's exit.

    Lazio midfielder Sergej Milinkovic-Savic remains a coveted player for Inter, according to FCInternews, who say a transfer is complex but not impossible. The Serbia star is valued at €100m by Lazio, who could receive the likes of Matteo Politano and Joao Mario in return.

    - Sport says Espanyol are keen on signing Real Madrid newcomer Rodrygo Goes on loan as a replacement for Borja Iglesias following his move to Real Betis. The 18-year-old Rodrygo only arrived from Santos in a €45m deal during the off-season.

  • Madrid's James: Bernabeu return a unique feeling Madrid's James: Bernabeu return a unique feeling

    Real Madrid playmaker James Rodriguez said returning to play at the Santiago Bernabeu was a "unique feeling".

    James started a Madrid match for the first time since May 2017 as Los Blancos drew 1-1 at home to Real Valladolid in LaLiga action on Saturday.

    The Colombia star spent the last two seasons out on loan with Bundesliga champions Bayern Munich, who opted against triggering their purchase option.

    James looked poised to join either Atletico Madrid or Napoli, however, the 28-year-old played 57 minutes for Zinedine Zidane's men in the Spanish capital.

    "Back at the Bernabeu after a long time," James wrote on Twitter post-match.

    "It was a unique feeling. Thanks to the fans for the support.

    "We will continue to work in order to improve."

    James made 20 Bundesliga appearances for Bayern last season, scoring seven goals.

    He also scored seven league goals in 23 Bundesliga matches during the 2017-18 after helping Madrid to Champions League glory the season prior.

  • Neymar among top three players in the world – Ramos lauds reported Madrid target Neymar among top three players in the world – Ramos lauds reported Madrid target

    Real Madrid captain Sergio Ramos said Neymar is among the "top three in the world" amid the Paris Saint-Germain star's links to the LaLiga giants.

    Neymar wants to leave PSG two years on from his world-record €222million transfer and talk of a Barcelona return has been touted, as well as a blockbuster move to Madrid.

    Madrid and Barca are both reportedly in talks with PSG over Neymar and Ramos was asked about the Brazilian forward following Saturday's 1-1 LaLiga draw against Real Valladolid.

    "Neymar is a top player, among the top three in the world," Ramos told reporters. "Talking about signings is a lack of respect for this great team.

    "These things are always talked about at Real Madrid and even more so when the transfer window is open.

    "Players must be cold with these things."

    Madrid have been busy in the transfer market, signing Eden Hazard, Luka Jovic, Eder Militao, Ferland Mendy and Rodrygo Goes, while seemingly keeping Gareth Bale and James Rodriguez.

    "We're going to move forward with those that we have," Ramos said. "We all need to be connected.

    "Reactivating players like [Gareth] Bale or James [Rodriguez] is another solution."

    Madrid goalkeeper Keylor Navas, however, is reportedly set to leave the Santiago Bernabeu as he seeks regular football.

    Navas has been linked to Ligue 1 champions PSG after being told he will be back-up to Thibaut Courtois.

    "He's one of the best goalkeepers in the world," Ramos added. "The debate about the goalkeeper's spot has always existed, but Real Madrid need two great goalkeepers and [Thibaut] Courtois and Navas are two amazing goalkeepers.

    "I would like [Navas] to stay because he's also a great player, team-mate and he's a friend."

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.