EPL

Lampard eager to take Chelsea chance despite 'risk'

By Sports Desk July 04, 2019

Chelsea head coach Frank Lampard is looking at his return to Stamford Bridge as an opportunity, rather than a risk to his legacy at the Premier League club.

Lampard, 41, was confirmed as Maurizio Sarri's successor on Thursday, signing a three-year deal with the club.

The former England midfielder spent 13 years at Chelsea as a player, establishing himself as a club great.

Lampard, who has had just one season in management with Derby County, accepted he was taking a risk by returning to Chelsea, but said his goal was to coach at the top.

"I am quite bold. You have to be in football," he said.

"The minute I stepped into management, what did I want to do? This is no disrespect to Derby, a fantastic club for me. I was ambitious as a player, I wanted to manage at the top.

"The opportunity to come here, having had my link here, this is an obvious club I would love to manage, simple as that. The minute I started management, the minute I realised this could be the case. This could, if I am fortunate and do OK, I get the job at Chelsea and I risk it. I am willing to risk.

"I have belief in myself. I'd like to think my playing career is there, it is what it was and I will try to be the best manager I can. I understand the risk but I would rather look at the upside and can I go and do something similar to my playing career, but can I come away with success from my playing career?"

Lampard becomes the 14th managerial appointment at Chelsea since Roman Abramovich bought the club in 2003.

While he is unsure if anything will change with his arrival, Lampard praised the success Abramovich had brought Chelsea.

"The reality is that the owner has won 16 trophies in 16 years, huge success, he runs it as his own desire, and his desire has always been for the best of the club," he said.

"He has chosen me hopefully on that premise. I don't know whether it will change. I do think it is a reality of football."

Related items

  • Mihajlovic takes charge of Bologna's Serie A opener amid leukaemia recovery Mihajlovic takes charge of Bologna's Serie A opener amid leukaemia recovery

    Sinisa Mihajlovic will preside over Bologna's Serie A opener on Sunday despite his ongoing recovery from leukaemia.

    Mihajlovic, 50, confirmed last month he had been diagnosed with cancer, but had no plans to step down from his position as coach.

    The club confirmed 10 days later that the first round of Mihajlovic's treatment went to plan, adding he was set for a further three weeks of visits "to monitor blood and clinical parameters".

    Mihajlovic missed Bologna's pre-season tour as a result and his appearance for the first match of the season at Verona was by no means a given.

    But the club confirmed on Sunday the former Yugoslavia international will be in charge.

  • Udinese 1-0 AC Milan: Giampaolo's side suffer opening game defeat Udinese 1-0 AC Milan: Giampaolo's side suffer opening game defeat

    Rodrigo Becao scored a second-half header as Udinese inflicted a 1-0 Serie A defeat on AC Milan in head coach Marco Giampaolo's first competitive game with the Rossoneri.

    Milan started without any of their new signings and looked devoid of attacking ideas for the majority of Sunday's match at Dacia Arena, where they fell to Becao's only goal of the game 72 minutes in.

    Giampaolo's visitors failed to register an attempt on target in Udine, and Milan's Gianluigi Donnarumma had been the busier of the two goalkeepers before the breakthrough moment in a contest that contained few clear-cut opportunities.

    A first league defeat in five matches to Udinese means a losing start for Giampaolo, whose decision to omit each of his side's new signings backfired.

    Milan's Alessio Romagnoli flicked the ball wide from a promising position and Udinese's Kevin Lasagna miscued a shot into the stands following a poor clearance from Donnarumma in the only openings of a quiet first half.

    The biggest talking point before the interval came in stoppage time as Milan's Samu Castillejo appeared to deflect a cross with his arm, but VAR adjudged that the contact was made outside the box and no penalty was given.

    Udinese's Rolando Mandragora fired in the game's first shot on target with 49 minutes played and Seko Fofana was the next to test Donnarumma with a curled strike a couple of minutes later. 

    Donnarumma was becoming increasingly busy as he was also required to keep out Mato Jajalo's shot with an hour on the clock, and the pressure eventually told.

    A minute after being brought off the bench, Rodrigo De Paul sent in an outswinging corner and Becao guided his header into the bottom-right corner on his Serie A debut.

    Milan pressed for an equaliser, and were frustrated when a penalty appeal was rejected. The closest either side came to another goal was when Lasagna's shot was saved.


    What does it mean? New signings must be integrated

    Giampaolo revealed on the eve of the match he would only start the players available to him throughout the close season and as a result Milan had a familiar feel to them.

    With Ismael Bennacer, Rade Krunic, Leo Duarte and Franck Kessie named on the bench, the visitors looked stale throughout the match and must massively improve if they are to break back into the top four.


    Becao the difference

    For all the talk of Milan's signings, it was one of Udinese's new boys who made the difference. Signed from Brazilian side Bahia during the close season, centre-back Becao made the most of some slack defending to score the only goal of the game. 


    Borini sums up Milan's struggles

    Milan fired no shots on target in the first half of a Serie A match for the first time since October 2018. Fabio Borini did little to influence play and was unsurprisingly the first visiting player to be replaced with an hour played. 


    What's next?

    Milan welcome newly-promoted Brescia to San Siro next Saturday and Udinese host Parma the following day.

  • Tottenham 0-1 Newcastle United: Joelinton gives Bruce first win Tottenham 0-1 Newcastle United: Joelinton gives Bruce first win

    Steve Bruce claimed his first win as Newcastle United boss as Joelinton's maiden Premier League goal earned a 1-0 triumph at Tottenham.

    Bruce had seen his side slip to a 1-0 home defeat to Arsenal and a tame 3-1 loss to Norwich City in his opening two matches since taking charge.

    Those setbacks only served to deepen the gloom that followed Rafael Benitez's departure, but Newcastle produced a superb away performance as Spurs suffered an early slip up in the 2019-20 season.

    Tottenham were behind for much of their opening 3-1 win over Aston Villa but were unable to produce a similar turnaround this time, though the hosts were controversially denied a penalty after Jamaal Lascelles appeared to impede Harry Kane.

    Newcastle were dealt an early blow when Allan Saint-Maximin limped off with a hamstring injury while wastefully running the ball out of play in a free-kick routine.

    The visitors were then fortunate not to concede a penalty when Fabian Schar appeared to bring down the returning Son Heung-min.

    However, Tottenham's defence failed to heed the warning of Sean Longstaff forcing Hugo Lloris to tip over, allowing Joelinton too much space to collect a Christian Atsu cross as Newcastle's record signing confidently fired in from close range.

    Son stung the palms of Martin Dubravka with a half-volley and then dragged another effort wide before Lucas Moura miskicked a chance to equalise with the goal at his mercy.

    A last-ditch tackle from Schar prevented Erik Lamela from levelling from Son's deflected effort and Spurs were apoplectic when Lascelles fell to the ground and took Kane with him, only for referee Mike Dean to reject shouts for a penalty and have VAR back him up.

    Lucas and Kane both spurned glorious late opportunities for Tottenham as Newcastle held on for a result that should serve as a much-needed morale boost.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.