Allan to start for Brazil against Paraguay

By Sports Desk June 26, 2019

Tite confirmed Allan would replace Casemiro in midfield for Brazil's Copa America quarter-final against Paraguay.

Casemiro is suspended after picking up a second yellow card in the group stage during his side's 5-0 thrashing of Peru on Saturday.

Fernandinho was another option for Tite, but the Manchester City midfielder is still battling a knee injury and the coach said Allan would start in Porto Alegre on Thursday.

"Fernandinho is out of the game. Allan will play," Tite told a news conference.

"If we win, if we qualify, maybe he [Fernandinho] will be ready for the next game. Fernandinho would play in his normal and natural condition. He wasn't in his condition."

Paraguay are unbeaten in their past four games against Brazil at the Copa America, with the two most recent meetings seeing them advance via penalties in quarter-finals.

Tite warned his team, who collected seven points from three games in Group A, they would need to stay focused.

"Mental characteristics have to be strong because they are decisive games," he said.

"Very high concentration level, prepare for different situations."

Related items

  • Ten-man Molynes United stay perfect with win over Arnett Gardens Ten-man Molynes United stay perfect with win over Arnett Gardens

    Newly promoted Molynes United maintained a perfect start to the new Red Stripe Premier League (RSPL) after slipping by former champions Arnett Gardens, despite going down to ten men, at the Waterhouse Stadium on Sunday.

    Nicholas Nelson gave the home team the lead in the lead in the 18th minute but was dramatically sent from the pitch only two minutes after.  His ejection left Arnett with a one-man advantage and plenty of time to turn the game around.  The team seemed to be well on their way to doing just that when Vishineul Harris equalised two minutes in the second half.

    The hosts, however, had more surprises as Tyrique Wilson fired them back into the lead in the 65th minute.  To make matters worse for Arnett, they were themselves reduced to ten men when Kimani Arbourine was sent off in the 82nd minute.  The win marked a fourth in a row for Molynes who top the RSPL standings with 12 points.

    At Harbour View Stadium, defending champions Portmore United secured their first win of the season with a 2-1 win over struggling Harbour View. 

    At the Edward Seaga Stadium, Tivoli Gardens snapped a three-game losing streak to start the season when they defeated Cavalier 2-0.  The match seemed to be headed for an even share of the points but the dismissal of Tivoli’s Clifton Woodbine gave the home team added impetus. 

    Rodrico Wellington gave Tivoli the lead six minutes later before Donovan Dawkins secured the home team their first win of the season in the 88th minute.

    At the Royal Lakes Complex, Dean-Andre Thomas scored a brace to ensure Dunbeholden kept the momentum from a narrow win over Portmore United last week, with a 2-0 win over newcomers Vere United.  Thomas scored from the penalty spot in the 40th minute before adding a second in the 83rd.

    At Effortville, Humble Lion and Waterhouse played to a 0-0 draw.

  • Naps, Presentation lock in top positions, challengers still around Naps, Presentation lock in top positions, challengers still around

    Naparima College locked into the top position on the Secondary Schools Football League Premier Division after a 2-1 win over high-riding newcomers Malick Secondary on Saturday. 

  • Valverde accepts responsibility for Barcelona's worst start in 25 years Valverde accepts responsibility for Barcelona's worst start in 25 years

    Ernesto Valverde admits he is to blame for Barcelona's poor form after Saturday's 2-0 loss at Granada confirmed their worst LaLiga start in 25 years.

    Barca went down to goals from Ramon Azeez and Alvaro Vadillo as the promoted side moved top of the table, with Valverde's men seventh after five games.

    Seven points is the fewest they have collected at this stage of the season since a difficult 1994-95 campaign under legendary coach Johan Cruyff.

    Valverde's team have failed to win any of their past seven away games in all competitions, a run that dates back to last season, with pressure growing on the coach.

    Although Valverde has led Barca to the title in each of his two full seasons in charge, they lost last term's Copa del Rey final to Valencia after crashing out of the Champions League in humiliating fashion against Liverpool.

    Questions about Valverde's future have been a constant background presence throughout his time at the club, and the coach accepts the blame for poor results must lie at his door.

    "In the end the actors are the players and the coach is responsible," he told a post-match news conference.

    "I feel responsible for what has happened. You can lose but when you lose you have to deserve to win - and today we have not deserved it.

    "Away from home we are not reaping good results. When it happens in four games it is already a symptom that we are not too well.

    "Today we have not been well. Away from home we are not playing good games. We are dominating but we do not translate it into goal situations. It is also true that the opponent is scoring the first goal."

    Valverde gave credit to Granada, who have won three LaLiga games in a row without conceding a goal.

    "Granada deserve a lot of credit and we have to recognise it," the coach added. "They have been intense, strong, they have troubled us a lot.

    "The first goal has put the game in their hands and they hit us when they hurt us the most. They have made their game and that we have not played well is to their credit."

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.