Real Madrid can help Hazard reach the highest level, says Torres

By Sports Desk June 25, 2019

Real Madrid will provide Eden Hazard with the platform he needs to reach the highest level, according to Fernando Torres.

Chelsea this month sold Hazard, who had one year left on his contract at Stamford Bridge, to Madrid in a deal said to be worth €130million.

Luka Jovic, Eder Militao, Ferland Mendy and Rodrygo have also arrived at the Santiago Bernabeu as Zinedine Zidane bids to rejuvenate Los Blancos after a dismal 2018-19 season, in which they finished third in LaLiga and only won the Club World Cup.

Torres believes Madrid offers his former Chelsea team-mate Hazard with the perfect stage to raise his game, though the Belgium international will need to ensure he has the appropriate mindset.

"[Madrid] have got the brand where every player in the world wants to play there, and when they call the players see it as a club where you can make history," Torres, who last week announced his retirement, told AS.

"Hazard is a spectacular footballer who needs the boost from a club like Real Madrid to reach the level he can reach, which he did at Chelsea in a fleeting manner.

"It remains to be seen if he's able to push himself to want to be better. His ability and the conditions are perfect.

"Sometimes it seemed he struggled to want to be better when I saw him training, it was clear he could be at the level of the best. Now he's got the stage on which to do it. It'll depend more on his mentality than his football."

Madrid sold Marcos Llorente to Atletico Madrid in a reported €40m deal, the midfielder arriving at the Wanda Metropolitano ahead of Rodri's anticipated switch to Manchester City.

Torres does not see an issue with Llorente moving from Atleti's arch-rivals and hopes the club can become a place where players see out their careers.

"Atleti is bigger now than thinking about which team the players come from. What's more important is where they are leaving to go," said the World Cup winner.

"There will come a time when players will see Atleti as their final destination, where they want to win, to stay, to be part of the history and be remembered forever.

"It is a step that will be taken soon. No matter where you come from or the name, it matters that you are committed to Atleti.

"Once you're there, the people in the club are able to convey what it means. And the day they decide to leave they do so respecting what the club has given them, and nobody will reproach them for anything."

Related items

  • Reported Arsenal target Izzo commits to Torino Reported Arsenal target Izzo commits to Torino

    Armando Izzo has signed a new contract at Torino, ending speculation he could move to the Premier League.

    Arsenal were reportedly interested in the centre-back, who has also been linked with Manchester United and Everton.

    But Izzo, who made his first Italy appearance in a Euro 2020 qualifier in March, has instead signed a new five-year deal with Torino.

    Speaking last month, the 27-year-old indicated he would commit to the Granata and he is thrilled to have agreed an extension.

    "Happy to continue with the Bull, with the same determination we will still face many battles together!!" Izzo wrote on Instagram.

    Torino, who finished seventh in Serie A last season, will play in the Europa League in 2019-20 due to AC Milan's ban.

    Walter Mazzarri's side face a qualifier against Hungarian outfit Debrecen, with the first leg to be played on Thursday.

  • Udinese sign Real Madrid striker Udinese sign Real Madrid striker

    Udinese have announced the signing of Cristo Gonzalez from Real Madrid.

    Gonzalez, 21, has agreed a five-year deal with the Serie A side, who are reported to have paid €1.5million.

    Madrid are said to have included both a buy-back clause and a sell-on fee in the deal for the striker.

    Gonzalez scored 21 goals for Real Madrid's reserves last term and hit his first senior goal for the club in a Copa del Rey win at Melilla.

    Madrid, meanwhile, are closing in on the signing of midfielder Alberto Soro, according to Real Zaragoza president Christian Lapetra.

    Soro will reportedly sign for Madrid in a €2.5m deal that could rise to around €5m, before returning to Zaragoza on loan.

  • Maldini: Modric would be 'perfect' but Milan did not bid for Madrid star Maldini: Modric would be 'perfect' but Milan did not bid for Madrid star

    Paolo Maldini insists AC Milan did not make an offer for Luka Modric this close season, although he admits the Real Madrid man would be "perfect" at San Siro.

    Modric is expected to stay at Madrid, where he has been since 2012, but the 33-year-old was linked with moves to Inter last year and rivals Milan in recent months.

    Maldini, acknowleding the midfielder's blend of experience and talent, says there was never any negotiation for the 2018 Ballon d'Or winner.

    "We never negotiated for Modric, but we've said to [coach Marco] Giampaolo this club are looking for good young players and some experienced ones," Rossoneri technical director Maldini told a news conference.

    "The growth of young players takes place through the presence of experienced players. Modric would be perfect here, but we've never negotiated for him."

    Maldini was speaking alongside Rade Krunic and Theo Hernandez as they were presented as Milan players on Friday.

    Hernandez, a left-back just as Maldini was in his playing days, was delighted to have joined Milan.

    "It is a real honour to be sitting next to [Maldini]," Hernandez said. "He will always be the best full-back in the world.

    "We met in Ibiza, where he had some very beautiful and sincere words for me. Since then, I have had the desire to join Milan. I trained hard to succeed and in the end I did it."

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.