Cavani: Uruguay ready to fight for Copa America glory

By Sports Desk June 16, 2019

Edinson Cavani said Uruguay are ready to fight for Copa America honours following their rout of Ecuador on Sunday.

Cavani and Luis Suarez scored as Uruguay opened their Group C campaign with a 4-0 demolition of 10-man Ecuador in Belo Horizonte.

Ecuador's Jose Quintero was sent off after Nicolas Lodeiro gave Uruguay a sixth-minute lead and it was one-way traffic from that point.

Cavani, Suarez and an own goal sealed a routine outing for Oscar Tabarez's Uruguay and the former revelled in the result.

"We are ready to fight in the Copa America," Cavani said post-game, with 15-time champions Uruguay seeking their first Copa title since 2011.

"We had chances in the first half, we could do it and that gave us the calm to handle the game. It was an important step."

Cavani, who scored his first Copa goal after 11 matches, added: "We knew they were going to be a very difficult opponent. The important thing was that we entered the game with maximum concentration and we achieved that."

After Paris Saint-Germain forward Cavani made it 2-0 past the half-hour mark, Suarez tripled the lead prior to the interval following Quintero's 24th-minute dismissal.

Suarez – who missed the end of Barcelona's season due to knee surgery – converted at the back post to heap further misery on Ecuador.

Mina then turned the ball into his own net with 12 minutes remaining – a goal that had been initially ruled out for offside before being overturned by VAR.

"Obviously, it's a positive result because we play the way we wanted to," Suarez told reporters. "But we played with an extra man in the first half.

"We will play the tournament with the same hope and the same desire prior to today's result."

Uruguay will next meet Copa America guests Japan in Porto Alegre on Thursday.

Related items

  • Juventus to be called Piemonte Calcio on FIFA 20 due to PES deal Juventus to be called Piemonte Calcio on FIFA 20 due to PES deal

    Juventus will be known as Piemonte Calcio on FIFA 20 due to the Italian's club's new exclusive partnership with Pro Evolution Soccer (PES), EA Sports has confirmed.

    The Old Lady jersey was used on the front cover of FIFA 19 with Cristiano Ronaldo, but Konami now have use of official trademarks and intellectual property for the new PES game.

    Instead, a club called Piemonte Calcio shall be created in their place on FIFA, using a custom badge and kits across all game modes.

    The fictious club will, however, still include Juve's real-world players in FIFA 20 and FIFA Ultimate Team

    EA Sports' loss is a result of PES' gain, with the game striking an exclusive "long-term" deal with Juve that will see the club's players recreated via a "full-body 3D scan in order to recreate their likeness in the game as accurately as possible".

    eFootball Pro Evolution Soccer 2020, the next edition's official title, will also boast a link-up with Barcelona, whose players have featured on the covers of the past three PES titles, albeit the deal with the Blaugrana is not exclusive.

    Among the other PES "partnered clubs" that will be fully licensed - though not exclusive - in the game are: Manchester United, Arsenal, River Plate, Palmeiras, Boca Juniors, Bayern Munich, Flamengo, Sao Paulo, Corinthians, Vasco Da Gama and Colo Colo.

    It is not all bad news for EA Sports, however.

    Champions League winners Liverpool have struck a "long-term" deal of their own with the FIFA developers, who will become the Reds' "official football simulation game partner".

  • Paris Saint-Germain bring in Diallo from Borussia Dortmund Paris Saint-Germain bring in Diallo from Borussia Dortmund

    Paris Saint-Germain have confirmed the signing of defender Abdou Diallo from Borussia Dortmund for a reported €32million fee.

    Diallo signed for Dortmund from fellow Bundesliga side Mainz in June 2018 and had an impressive season at Signal Iduna Park, making 28 league appearances.

    But with Mats Hummels returning to Dortmund from Bayern Munich, Diallo has been allowed to depart, with Thomas Tuchel going back to his former club to bring in the 23-year-old.

    The Frenchman, who came through the academy at Monaco and can play at both centre-back and full-back, has penned a five-year contract at Parc des Princes.

    "It is a great honour to be involved with such a prestigious club as Paris Saint-Germain," Diallo said.

    "I have always said that the Parisian project was very attractive. Joining the capital club is another important step in my career.

    "I am committed to giving my all for my new club and look forward to bringing my qualities and desire to this team renowned for its high quality and high ambitions."

  • BREAKING NEWS: Paris Saint-Germain bring in Diallo from Borussia Dortmund BREAKING NEWS: Paris Saint-Germain bring in Diallo from Borussia Dortmund

    Paris Saint-Germain have confirmed the signing of defender Abdou Diallo from Borussia Dortmund for a reported €32million fee.

    Diallo signed for Dortmund from fellow Bundesliga side Mainz in June 2018 and had an impressive season at Signal Iduna Park, making 28 league appearances.

    But with Mats Hummels returning to Dortmund, Diallo has been allowed to depart, with Thomas Tuchel going back to his former club to bring in the 23-year-old.

    The Frenchman, who can play at both centre-back and full-back, has penned a five-year contract at Parc des Princes.

    "It is a great honour to be involved with such a prestigious club as Paris Saint-Germain," Diallo said.

    "I have always said that the Parisian project was very attractive. Joining the capital club is another important step in my career.

    "I am committed to giving my all for my new club and look forward to bringing my qualities and desire to this team renowned for its high quality and high ambitions."

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.