EPL

Pogba wants 'new challenge somewhere else' amid Manchester United exit talk

By Sports Desk June 16, 2019

Paul Pogba has hinted he is ready to leave Manchester United after revealing his desire for a "new challenge somewhere else".

The midfielder's future at Old Trafford has been in doubt after an indifferent 2018-19 season, with Real Madrid reportedly interested.

Former club Juventus have also been linked with Pogba, who returned for a second spell at Old Trafford when United paid a then-record fee of £89million in August 2016.

Speaking in Tokyo, the 26-year-old - a World Cup winner at Russia 2018 - admitted the time could be right to move on.

"There has been a lot of talking, a lot of thinking as well. I've been here for three years in Manchester, it has been going great," he told reporters.

"There have been some good moments and some bad moments, like everywhere else. But after this season, after everything that happened with my season, it was my best season as well, I think for me it can be a good time to have a new challenge somewhere else.

"I'm thinking of this – to have a new challenge somewhere else."

Related items

  • Berbatov urges Manchester United to keep Lukaku Berbatov urges Manchester United to keep Lukaku

    Dimitar Berbatov feels criticism of Manchester United forward Romelu Lukaku is unfair and hopes the Belgian stays at Old Trafford.

    Lukaku joined United from Everton in a £75million deal in 2017, scoring 28 goals in 66 Premier League games since then, but his performances have been much maligned.

    The former Chelsea man has been heavily linked with a switch to Inter as Ole Gunnar Solskjaer shakes up his United squad ahead of the new season.

    But Berbatov, who played under Alex Ferguson for four years at United, would prefer to see Lukaku remain at the club.

    "I hope Lukaku is staying because he's a good player and the criticism he's facing is not fair," he told the Straits Times.

    However, Berbatov believes United would have the firepower to cope with Lukaku's departure, backing Anthony Martial and Marcus Rashford for big seasons.

    "I am calm because I like Martial a lot," he said. "I used to play with him in Monaco a lot and I know that he is really good and that he can be even better.

    "I like Rashford as well; he can develop and become even better."

  • Ajax to sign Mexico international Edson Alvarez as Matthijs de Ligt replacement Ajax to sign Mexico international Edson Alvarez as Matthijs de Ligt replacement

    Ajax have confirmed they are set to sign Edson Alvarez, the defender's arrival helping to address the loss of Matthijs de Ligt.

    Club captain De Ligt completed his long-awaited move to Serie A champions Juventus on Friday, as the Italians paid an initial €75m with the deal including a further €10.5m in add-ons.

    Ajax have wasted no time in splashing some of the cash on 21-year-old Mexico international Alvarez, who will come in from America on a five-year deal for a reported €15m fee.

    The Dutch giants, who have also lost Frenkie de Jong to Barcelona ahead of the 2019-20 campaign, confirmed central defender Alvarez will arrive subject to a medical.

    Ajax, winners of a domestic double last term as well as reaching the semi-finals of the Champions League, said in a statement Alvarez can also play at right-back or in midfield.

    Alvarez is the latest new face for Erik ten Hag's side, joining players including Quincy Promes, Lisandro Magallan, Lisandro Martinez and Razvan Marin in signing for the new season.

  • Reported Arsenal target Izzo commits to Torino Reported Arsenal target Izzo commits to Torino

    Armando Izzo has signed a new contract at Torino, ending speculation he could move to the Premier League.

    Arsenal were reportedly interested in the centre-back, who has also been linked with Manchester United and Everton.

    But Izzo, who made his first Italy appearance in a Euro 2020 qualifier in March, has instead signed a new five-year deal with Torino.

    Speaking last month, the 27-year-old indicated he would commit to the Granata and he is thrilled to have agreed an extension.

    "Happy to continue with the Bull, with the same determination we will still face many battles together!!" Izzo wrote on Instagram.

    Torino, who finished seventh in Serie A last season, will play in the Europa League in 2019-20 due to AC Milan's ban.

    Walter Mazzarri's side face a qualifier against Hungarian outfit Debrecen, with the first leg to be played on Thursday.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.