Jorginho: I'd be surprised if Sarri left Chelsea

By Sports Desk May 22, 2019

Jorginho said he would be surprised if Chelsea head coach Maurizio Sarri left the Premier League club amid links to Juventus.

Sarri led Chelsea to a third-place finish in the Premier League and the Europa League final in his first season in charge at Stamford Bridge.

However, a return to Serie A has been mooted for the former Napoli boss – who has emerged as a possible replacement for Massimiliano Allegri at Serie A holders Juve.

Jorginho – who followed Sarri to Chelsea from Napoli – was asked if he would continue his relationship with the 60-year-old if he departed London and the Italy midfielder told Sky Sport Italia: "I have four years on my contract with Chelsea.

"I'd be surprised he did leave, because we are third in the Premier League behind Manchester City and Liverpool, we're in the Europa League Final and reached the Carabao Cup Final.

"It has been a positive season. Sarri is relaxed, even more so now than in other stages of the campaign."

Sarri's Chelsea are set to face London rivals Arsenal in the Europa League final in Baku on May 29.

"It's an international final of a prestigious competition and we are working well to be ready for it," said Jorginho. "We must believe in our football and know that we can do it. There are great players here and we can bring the trophy home."

Jorginho, who arrived in a reported £50million transfer at the start of the 2018-19 season, added: "It will be our 63rd competitive match of the season and obviously those start to weigh on you. I see this as a very positive campaign.

"It's only natural that at a club like Chelsea, there is going to be all this pressure. There will always be criticism, but I remained calm and relaxed.

"I'll always have something new to learn and I've seen consistent growth throughout the season."

Related items

  • Demiral looking to learn from 'idol' Chiellini at Juventus Demiral looking to learn from 'idol' Chiellini at Juventus

    Merih Demiral wants to live up to the example of his idol Giorgio Chiellini during the early stages of his Juventus career.

    Turkey international Demiral joined Juve from Sassuolo in an €18million deal last month – the centre-back having impressed following his move to Serie A from Alanyaspor midway through the 2018-19 season.

    The 21-year-old's style has been compared to former Juventus and Uruguay favourite Paolo Montero.

    However, despite arguably posing a threat to the club's much-vaunted old-guard at the back along with standout close-season recruit Matthijs de Ligt, Demiral insists he need only look to the likes of Chiellini and Leonardo Bonucci for inspiration.

    "To be compared to Montero is an honour for me," he said on Tuesday.

    "I hope to be able to show the fans that I'm a strong defender and live up to that expectation. My real idols are the players that I'm playing with now, like Chiellini.

    "Chiellini and Bonucci have been helping me a lot to settle in here as well as the other players, I hope to learn a lot from them.

    "[Head coach Maurizio] Sarri looks over the defensive side of play personally and this allows me to train in the best possible way and work on my weaknesses."

    Demiral is the first Turkish player to sign for Juve, something he described as an "absolute honour", although he is grateful for the presence of Emre Can in Turin – the Germany midfielder of Turkish descent having helped him adjust to new surroundings.

    "Emre Can is helping me a lot to settle in both on and off the pitch and I'd like to thank him publicly for that," he added.

  • Fazio pens Roma extension Fazio pens Roma extension

    Federico Fazio has signed a two-year contract extension with Roma, the Serie A club have confirmed.

    The centre-back's fresh terms at the Stadio Olimpico run until June 30, 2021.

    "It's my second renewal with the club and I am incredibly pleased," said the 32-year-old Argentina international, who moved to the Italian capital on an initial loan deal from Tottenham in 2016.

    "From the very first day here I have felt that the club has confidence in me, something that is important to every player. 

    "I've sensed that belief from everyone who works at Trigoria [Roma's training ground] – a place I want to stay at for the long-term."

    In three seasons with the Giallorossi, Fazio has made 135 appearances and scored 11 goals.

    "Federico is a key player within our squad, and because of that we are delighted to be able to extend his contract," said Roma's sporting director Gianluca Petrachi.

    "We will be relying on his ability and his experience, qualities which will also be hugely important in the growth and development of our younger players.

    "Federico will be a mentor for our defence and for our lads."

    Roma open their Serie A campaign at home to Genoa on Sunday following a busy close season under new head coach Paulo Fonseca.

    Pau Lopez, Bryan Cristante and Amadou Diawara are among those in line to make their competitive debuts.

  • Neville urges six-month social media boycott following Pogba abuse Neville urges six-month social media boycott following Pogba abuse

    Phil Neville has called for the football community to boycott social media for six months after the latest instance of high-profile racist abuse.

    England women's manager Neville was reacting to Manchester United midfielder Paul Pogba being targeted online after he had a penalty saved in Monday's 1-1 Premier League draw at Wolves.

    Chelsea striker Tammy Abraham and Reading's Yakou Meite have also been subjected to similar abuse over the past week following their own penalty failures.

    United issued a statement branding the slurs directed towards Pogba as "disgusting" and called for social media companies to take action as they work to identify the perpetrators in this instance.

    However, Neville has little faith in the likes of Twitter and Instagram making a meaningful difference and called on those within the game to take a stand.

    "I've lost total faith in whoever runs these social media departments, so I just wonder whether now as a football community, in terms of really sending a powerful message, is: come off social media," he said at a news conference ahead of his team's matches against Belgium and Norway.

    "Six months – let's come off social media. Let's see the effect that it has on these social media companies, whether they're really going to do something about it."

    Neville also spoke out last October after former England and Chelsea star Karen Carney received rape and death threats on Instagram.

    "We talk to them all the time because my players get that kind of abuse all the time, whether it’s racist, whether it’s sexist, whether it’s homophobic,” he continued.

    "They get that kind of abuse. Nothing gets done about it, but we experienced it earlier in the season.

    "It's not going away, I think there’s some fantastic campaigns, initiatives, messaging that goes out, particularly in the Premier League, through the FA, about trying to stamp out racism.

    "And at times, you feel as if you're making inroads, and then you get probably a massive reminder that actually we’re probably not.

    "It’s a problem not just in football – it’s a problem in society, but football now is at the forefront of everybody’s minds in terms of, we’ve got the power to do something about it. I think the football community will.

    "I think we try, but it’s getting to the point now where I think we need to make a real strong message, and I say to every single footballer out there, and to every club, and to the PFA: why don't we make a big stand? Come off social media. Boycott all social media now and see if that makes a big enough impact."

    Pogba's United team-mate Harry Maguire called for all social media accounts to be verified and Neville suggested he would support such an approach.

    "Maguire said this morning about being verified, giving passport details and addresses to be hold accountable for posting such disgusting things," he added.

    "You can be an egg on Twitter and no one knows who you are."

    Anti-discrimination pressure group Kick It Out has lamented the "increasingly predictable" nature of online attacks.

    "This is a call to action – we want to know what they [social media companies] are going to do to tackle this insidious problem," a Kick It Out statement read.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.