Pochettino or Sarri for Juve? We'll see – Lippi

By Sports Desk May 20, 2019

Former Juventus head coach Marcello Lippi hinted to Tottenham manager Mauricio Pochettino or Chelsea's Maurizio Sarri potentially replacing Massimiliano Allegri at the Serie A champions.

Allegri will leave Juventus after Sunday's trip to Sampdoria and five consecutive Scudetto titles, and talk about who will succeed the 51-year-old in Turin has dominated headlines.

Chelsea boss and former Napoli coach Sarri has been linked with a return to Italy after just one season in the Premier League, while Pochettino has emerged as a possible candidate among the likes of Simone Inzaghi and Antonio Conte.

Sarri and Pochettino will feature in upcoming European finals, with Chelsea to face Arsenal in the Europa League decider (May 29) and Tottenham set to meet Liverpool in the Champions League (June 1) showpiece.

And Lippi – who led Juventus to five Serie A trophies during his time in charge – alluded a coaching announcement could come after the two finals.

"Why hasn't a well-run club like Juventus named the successor to Allegri yet, well it's a difficult decision to make, but perhaps they are waiting for a certain competition to end," the 71-year-old said.

"We'll see if their new coach comes from those involved in either of the all English Finals, then we will understand the reason for the delay of the announcement.

"This year the English clubs are the best in Europe, but these things go in cycles. I think Sarri has a great chance at winning the Europa League, then there is Pochettino whose family is from Piedmont."

Juventus – 11 points clear of Napoli atop the table – drew 1-1 with Atalanta in Allegri's final home match in charge of the club last week.

Related items

  • Lewandowski happy after scoring 200th Bayern Munich goal Lewandowski happy after scoring 200th Bayern Munich goal

    Bayern Munich star Robert Lewandowski revelled in scoring his 200th competitive goal for the Bundesliga champions.

    Lewandowski celebrated a milestone as Bayern opened their Champions League campaign with a 3-0 victory over Red Star Belgrade in Munich on Wednesday.

    The 31-year-old striker, who moved onto 199 competitive goals for Bayern in their draw at Bundesliga rivals RB Leipzig last week, poked home the team's second goal with 10 minutes remaining against Red Star.

    "We always had the game under control and played well, we upped the pace and created a lot of chances," Lewandowski said as he reflected on the Group B clash.

    "But we didn't score enough goals. We always tried to get forward. Sometimes we might have made wrong decisions, but these are little things. In the end it was only three goals, but it could have been five or six.

    "You need games like today to help with a good analysis, to see what you can do better. After the second goal, it got easier. I'm glad I scored again."

    Lewandowski – the highest-scoring foreigner for Bayern – is fourth on the club's all-time list, behind Rainer Ohlhauser (215), Karl-Heinz Rummenigge (218) and Gerd Muller (564).

    The Poland international has flourished since arriving from Borussia Dortmund in 2014, winning five successive Bundesliga titles.

    Lewandowski – who has also won two DFB-Pokal trophies and three DFL-Supercups – has topped the Bundesliga scoring charts for the past two seasons and four of the past six.

  • Van Dijk: No reason for Liverpool to panic Van Dijk: No reason for Liverpool to panic

    Virgil van Dijk insisted there was no reason for Liverpool to panic after their Champions League loss to Napoli on Tuesday.

    Liverpool's six-match winning run was ended with a 2-0 defeat in the Group E encounter at Stadio San Paolo, where Dries Mertens' penalty and Fernando Llorente's goal were enough for Napoli.

    Ahead of a trip to Chelsea in the Premier League on Sunday, Van Dijk said the European champions would not overreact to their loss.

    "I don't know if it's a wake-up call," the star defender told UK newspapers.

    "Both sides were full in the game and thought it was going to be a draw. Obviously the penalty changed it all and we're going home with no points but it shouldn't be a wake-up call.

    "We've been performing since the start of the season outstanding so there's no reason for panic. The majority in the game we played well, we put them under pressure and we created opportunities on the break.

    "There's a lot of positive things apart from the result. We have to try to win our other games and we now focus on Chelsea."

    Liverpool squandered numerous good chances in Naples before the hosts broke through after Andy Robertson was harshly adjudged to have fouled Jose Callejon in the area.

    Van Dijk believes Jurgen Klopp's men were set to earn a point before the spot-kick was awarded.

    "It happens, it's football. Things happen like that. Sometimes you wish in the end something different, or you pick the other pass instead of the right pass. It's always like that sometimes," he said.

    "We had moments in the game we could've done better. If the penalty wasn't there I think it was going to be a draw. The reality is we conceded the penalty and unlucky that Adrian is unable to save it."

  • Hoeness hits out at Ter Stegen & DFB amid Neuer debate: It's as if he's won 17 World Cups Hoeness hits out at Ter Stegen & DFB amid Neuer debate: It's as if he's won 17 World Cups

    Bayern Munich president Uli Hoeness hit out at disgruntled Germany goalkeeper Marc-Andre ter Stegen, the German Football Association (DFB) and the media amid the ongoing debate involving Manuel Neuer, who he believes is the "much better" shot-stopper.

    Tension between Bayern keeper Neuer and Barcelona's Ter Stegen has been high after the latter voiced his frustration about the lack of international opportunities for Germany.

    Despite 22-time international Ter Stegen's fine form with the LaLiga champions, captain Neuer is Germany's number one and started ahead of the 27-year-old during the latest round of Euro 2020 qualifiers.

    Neuer – a World Cup winner with Germany having amassed 90 caps – accused Ter Stegen of putting himself before the team when he expressed frustration with the selection order, and his positional rival described the 33-year-old's criticism as "inappropriate".

    Hoeness fiercely weighed into the Neuer and Ter Stegen debate following Bayern's 3-0 win over Red Star Belgrade in their Champions League opener on Wednesday.

    "I think that this is a joke and especially the Munich press I think it's not okay what they do," Hoeness told reporters. "The West German press is heavily supporting Marc-Andre ter Stegen as if he won 17 times the World Cup. And from the South German press I don't see any support.

    "I think it's impossible to make such a topic public because he has no claim to play there [in the national team]. With the goalkeepers it's different than with the other.

    "He [Neuer] was the best goalkeeper in the world for many years. Now he was injured sometime but it was clear that if he becomes the old one again – and he is the old one again - there is no discussion if just him can be the number one. I hoped for more support from the German football federation. We frequently have troubles with DFB.

    "First of all, I remember how our three players were kicked out in a very bad way of the national team [Thomas Muller, Jerome Boateng and former defender Mats Hummels] and now this with Manuel Neuer is the same. I don't know how you cannot do something against it when a player goes public with a topic that he should only discuss with [head coach] Joachim Low. This is not okay.

    "We have our opinion and we won't let this happen in the future that our players will be damaged without reason because Ter Stegen is a good keeper but Manuel Neuer is much better. And has more experience. There is no discussion necessary. Nobody in the world can have doubts with Manuel Neuer being Germany's goalkeeper. Neuer can play as long as he stays healthy. He will always be the best. There is no discussion about it."

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.