EPL

Kompany appointed as Anderlecht player-manager

By Sports Desk May 19, 2019

Vincent Kompany will take on a player-manager role at Belgian Pro League club Anderlecht after calling time on his 11-year spell at Manchester City.

It was confirmed on Sunday that Kompany would be leaving Premier League champions City, with the Belgium defender ending his career at the club by winning a domestic treble.

Now his next move has been revealed, with the 33-year-old announcing that he is to take his first steps into coaching at Anderlecht, the club where he started his career, signing a three-year deal as player-manager.

And Kompany says Pep Guardiola has served as the inspiration for his decision to re-join Anderlecht, stating that the City boss allowed him to rediscover his love of football.

"The end of this season couldn’t be more memorable. I have lived the dream here," Kompany wrote on his official Facebook page.

"I have learned so much the last three years from an incredible manager. Pep Guardiola reignited my love for the game.

"I've witnessed, participated, analysed, absorbed, studied. Man City play the football I want to play. It is the football I want to teach and to see played.

"I have decided to take up the challenge at Anderlecht. Player-manager. I want to share my knowledge with the next purple generations. With that, I will also put a bit of Manchester in the heart of Belgium.

"This may come as a surprise to you. It's the most passionate yet rational decision I've ever made. As a footballer, I was born and raised at Anderlecht. Since the age of six, I have been one with that club. A history of 34 league titles, they are second to none."

Kompany left Anderlecht to join Hamburg in 2006, spending two seasons in Germany before transferring to City in 2008, going on to win four league titles, two FA Cups and four EFL Cups.

RSCA had a disappointing campaign under Hein Vanhaezebrouck and then caretaker Karim Belhocine, finishing fourth in the league, and sixth in the subsequent play-offs, as well as failing to make inroads in either the Belgian Cup or the Europa League.

Kompany explained it was a chance meeting that set the wheels in motion for what looks set to be an emotional return to his boyhood club.

"I stopped at their training grounds on my way to international duty last year, just to say hello," he continued.

"Marc Coucke, the chairman, and Sports Director Michael Verschueren asked my opinion regarding the difficult situation the club was in.

"I shared my thoughts and listened to their vision for the future: ambitious, courageous and determined to get back to number one. I offered my help, no strings attached, should they need it.

"Anderlecht has a tradition of having fantastic youth. You could say they have the past and the future but struggle with the present."

Kompany went on to put together some sessions with Anderlecht's technical director Frank Arnesen – formerly of Hamburg, Chelsea and Tottenham – on "how to build a strong playing identity", work that apparently left a strong impression.

"Not so long ago, I took a call from Anderlecht. Quite unexpectedly, they offered me the position of player-manager. Michael and Frank explained to me in detail how they saw it working in practice. They had thought it through," he added.

"Mr. Coucke, the owner, pledged full support: time, budget, framework, staff, facilities. I was left not only impressed, but also intrigued by this sign of confidence in me."

Related items

  • Richarlison encourages Neres to make Everton move Richarlison encourages Neres to make Everton move

    Richarlison has told Brazil team-mate and Ajax star David Neres to join him at Everton.

    Eredivisie champions Ajax face a fight to keep hold of winger Neres, 22, after an excellent season won him admirers across Europe.

    Neres scored crucial Champions League goals against Real Madrid and Juventus en route to the semi-finals and is reportedly on Arsenal's transfer radar.

    Everton, however, are believed to be the frontrunners for his signature and Richarlison wants his compatriot to make the move to Goodison Park.

    "I've spoken to him about it already," Richarlison told the Liverpool Echo in the aftermath of Brazil's win over Bolivia at the Copa America, in which both players started.

    "I told him the doors are open for him there, and that he could help us a lot.

    "I hope he comes. He'd be very welcome there. I've known him since we played together for Brazil Under-20 side, and he's a guy I get along with really well.

    "Hopefully I'll see him there."

    With 23 domestic goals in the past two campaigns, Neres appears to have outgrown the Eredivisie and could be ready for a dream switch to England.

    He said: "Of course the Premier League interests me. It's the best league in the world, and I've always wanted to play there.

    "But I leave all that in God's hands."

  • It is out of the question me and Aguero will leave - Jesus quashes Manchester City exit talk It is out of the question me and Aguero will leave - Jesus quashes Manchester City exit talk

    Gabriel Jesus insists there is no chance he and strike partner Sergio Aguero will leave Manchester City before next season.

    The Brazil international, who is currently away on Copa America duty, was restricted to just eight Premier League starts in 2018-19 due to the goalscoring form of Aguero.

    That led to speculation last month suggesting City are prepared to offload Jesus during the close-season in order to raise funds to bring in other players.

    But the 22-year-old sees his future at the Etihad Stadium and insists he is respectful of Aguero's status at the club, which has forced him to settle for a back-up role.

    "He is a legend at the club - he's the top scorer [of all time]," he told the Daily Mail. "Obviously as a player I always want to play, but I'm happy to help and I respect Sergio.

    "I think it's out of the question that Aguero leaves, and me too."

  • Maybe I can fit in at Manchester United - Brazil forward Everton open to future move Maybe I can fit in at Manchester United - Brazil forward Everton open to future move

    Brazil and Gremio forward Everton has talked up a move to Manchester United by suggesting his playing style may suit the Premier League.

    The 23-year-old scored a late stunner to seal Brazil's 3-0 win over Bolivia in Friday's Copa America opener, adding to Philippe Coutinho's brace.

    Everton made his nine minutes on the field count at Estadio do Morumbi to further enhance his reputation as he cut inside from the left and sent the ball flying past Carlos Lampe.

    And after opening his account for the Brazil senior side, Everton eyed up a move to a big European club, with Old Trafford a possible destination.

    "I'm a player that's always trying to get on top [of the opposition]," he told the Daily Mail.

    "Cutting in from the left with dribbles and good finishes - clubs in Europe have this style of play. Maybe I can fit in at Manchester United and others."

    Everton, capped seven times by Brazil, has scored three goals for Gremio in the Copa Libertadores this season and seven times in the domestic league.

    He has also been linked with a move to Manchester City and AC Milan in recent months.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.