Simeone 'proud' of departing quartet as Atletico prepare for new chapter

By Sports Desk May 18, 2019

Diego Simeone was "proud" of Atletico Madrid's departing players as he all but confirmed the end-of-season exits of full-backs Filipe Luis and Juanfran.

Atletico striker Antoine Griezmann had already confirmed on Tuesday that he intends to leave the Wanda Metropolitano ahead of next season amid rumoured interest from LaLiga rivals Barcelona.

Diego Godin is also on his way out, with Inter expected to be his next destination, while Filipe Luis and Juanfran do not appear likely to sign new contracts.

All four men played a full part in Saturday's 2-2 draw with Levante, giving Atletico's travelling supporters a chance to say what will likely be a final farewell, and they will each leave with Simeone's blessing.

"I am proud of the players who are leaving the club, as they have given us so much," he said at his post-match news conference. 

"The biggest thing that Filipe, Juanfran, Griezmann and Godin leave us is not trophies, but respect. In a sporting sense I love them so much."

Atletico found themselves 2-0 down at the Ciutat de Valencia and had Angel Correa dismissed early in the second half, but Rodrigo and debutant Sergio Camello struck to snatch the 10-man visitors a point.

Simeone praised the battling spirit shown by his players to avoid defeat in their final match of the season and insisted there is plenty of reason to be cheerful, despite the loss of some star names.

"In the first half, Levante perhaps were a bit more focused and took advantage of their set pieces and breaks," he said. "In the second half, despite Correa’s red card, the team answered as warriors, gladiators, people with pride. 

"There are young and motivated players coming through and that excites us greatly."

Camello became the first player born in the 21st century to score for Atletico in LaLiga, doing so from his first shot on target in the competition.

The 18-year-old forward, who replaced the ineffective Thomas Partey at half-time, is hopeful it is the first of many goals for the club.

"I tried to help the team and today I did just that," he told reporters after the match. "I’m deeply moved. I can score goals and I proved that today. I would like to become a legend at this club, like any kid, especially an Atleti fan. I’m very happy."

Related items

  • Real Madrid's Brahim Diaz suffers latest injury setback Real Madrid's Brahim Diaz suffers latest injury setback

    Brahim Diaz is set for another spell on the sidelines after suffering an abdominal injury, Real Madrid have confirmed.

    The 20-year-old forward only returned to training last week having missed the bulk of pre-season due to a hamstring problem.

    A timeframe has not been placed on Diaz's recovery.

    A club statement read: "Following the tests carried out today on our player, Brahim Diaz, by the Real Madrid medical department, he has been diagnosed with a muscular injury to his right anterior rectus.

    "His recovery will continue to be assessed."

    Diaz joined Madrid from Manchester City for an initial €17million in January and started four of their final five LaLiga games last season, scoring his maiden goal in a 3-1 defeat at Real Sociedad.

    This bout of fitness problems has proved particularly untimely, denying Diaz the chance to press his claims amid the arrivals of Luka Jovic, Rodrygo and Eden Hazard – although the latter two have also been hit with injury setbacks.

  • Rumour Has It: Barcelona to submit Neymar bid Rumour Has It: Barcelona to submit Neymar bid

    Neymar continues to dominate the headlines and Barcelona look set to finally get serious in a move for the Paris Saint-Germain star.

    The Brazil international, 27, has been linked with a move from PSG, but progress has seemingly been slow amid links to Barca and Real Madrid.

    It appears Juventus are now ready to join the race, too, as Barcelona prepare to submit an offer.

     

    TOP STORY – BARCELONA TO SUBMIT NEYMAR BID

    Barcelona have decided to submit a formal offer to PSG for Neymar, according to RAC1.

    The cover of Sport reads 'Offer Offical' as Barcelona continue their pursuit of the star they sold to PSG for €222million two years ago.

    They say Barca are hoping to get a deal done and have an option to buy Neymar next season.

     

    ROUND-UP

    - There may yet be a bit to play out in the Neymar saga. AS report Juventus have opened talks with PSG and are keen to sign the Brazil star, willing to offer Neymar the €37m per year net he currently makes at PSG.

    - Paulo Dybala could be part of a Juventus move for Neymar. Dybala was reportedly close to a Premier League switch earlier this month and is valued at €80m and a target for PSG, according to Sport and the Daily Mail, giving the Ligue 1 champions an ideal replacement for Neymar.

    - Christian Eriksen's Tottenham future remains unclear. However, ESPN FC report the Denmark international is only interested in moving to Barcelona, Real Madrid or Juventus if he leaves Tottenham.

    - As Barcelona try to find a deal for Neymar, Nelson Semedo has been one of the players mentioned as part of a potential package. However, Marca report the defender does not want to go to PSG and Barca are aware.

    - Roma are still trying to strengthen their defence and Arsenal's Shkodran Mustafi has emerged as a target, according to TuttoMercatoWeb. The Serie A giants would consider an initial loan move for the defender.

    - Franck Ribery could be close to making a decision on his future. According to Fabrizio Romano, the former Bayern Munich star is in advanced talks with Fiorentina.

  • Klopp: Liverpool couldn't afford Coutinho Klopp: Liverpool couldn't afford Coutinho

    Jurgen Klopp revealed Liverpool could not afford to bring Philippe Coutinho back to Anfield as he backed the attacker to shine at Bayern Munich.

    Coutinho's move to the Bundesliga champions was confirmed on Monday, the Brazil international joining on a season-long loan from Barcelona with Bayern holding an option to buy for €120million.

    The 27-year-old had also been linked with a return to Liverpool, where he starred for five seasons before joining Barca.

    Klopp said the European champions could not spend the money required to sign Coutinho, with Bayern paying an €8.5m loan fee and the star's wages.

    "It sounds a bit strange, but we could not afford it," he said at the Sport Bild awards on Monday.

    "We have already spent the money that we got for him."

    Klopp backed Coutinho to shine for Bayern after struggling to have an impact at Barcelona.

    "He's a great player, a great boy," the former Borussia Dortmund coach said.

    "We were reluctant to sell him, but Barcelona forced us with money, so to speak.

    "He is a player who can change games for the positive. It's not that nice for Dortmund, but it's a great transfer for Bayern and the Bundesliga."

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.