Bayern 'not easy' for Sanches, accepts Kovac

By Sports Desk April 22, 2019

Renato Sanches could leave Bayern Munich at the end of the season, says head coach Niko Kovac.

Sanches has started just four Bundesliga games this term and aired his frustrations after a brief cameo in Bayern's 1-0 home win against Werder Bremen last time out.

"I think so," Sanches told Bild when asked if it was time to move on. "Whether a loan or a sale is better, we will see.

"Everyone knows I want to play more. Five minutes is not enough!"

Portugal midfielder Sanches was previously linked with Paris Saint-Germain and Kovac accepts the 21-year-old is frustrated.

"It's not easy for him, he trains hard like everyone else," Kovac told a news conference on Monday.

"What's going to happen in the new season is not certain, we all have a job together now, and he's also part of making this season that way.

"We want to talk about everything in the summer, we'll talk after the last game and sit down together, it's not easy, we won 11 games, one loss, one draw.

"Everybody on the field is doing well, so it's not easy to get a successful, good player out on the field, so let's just wait and see if there are situations where he plays.

"Now we don't need it because we need momentum, not because we need a different type of player - the team is solid at the moment."

Bayern, top of the Bundesliga, continue their double bid when they go to Bremen in the semi-final of the DFB-Pokal on Wednesday.

Arjen Robben remains sidelined by injury but Mats Hummels and James Rodriguez are available to face Bremen, who Bayern have beaten 19 times in a row in all competitions.

"Hummels and James have been back on the training pitch today and look okay," Kovac added. "David Alaba worked individually in the fitness centre.

"I had a chat with Arjen today and he's feeling better and sounds more optimistic. I don't want to make things sound better than they are, but it was nice to hear it from him.

"It will be a different game at their place. I'm expecting a different Werder side looking to hurt us on the counter. It will be more difficult than it was on Saturday.

"The atmosphere is very special in Berlin. The whole world will be watching the final, so the motivation to get there is huge."

Related items

  • De Ligt: Cristiano Ronaldo not the decisive factor in Juventus move De Ligt: Cristiano Ronaldo not the decisive factor in Juventus move

    Matthijs de Ligt denied Cristiano Ronaldo convinced him to join Juventus but cited Maurizio Sarri as an important factor in his €85.5million move.

    Netherlands defender De Ligt spoke to the media and was presented with the number four shirt on Friday, 24 hours after completing a high-profile transfer from Ajax.

    The 19-year-old attracted interest from Barcelona, Manchester United and Paris Saint-Germain but confirmed his heart was already set on Juve by the time he crossed with paths with Ronaldo in Portugal last month.

    They locked horns in the Nations League final, during which the Bianconeri superstar told centre-back De Ligt to choose Turin as his next destination.

    "At that moment I was pretty sure it was Juventus but obviously it was nice that someone big like Cristiano Ronaldo asked me if I wanted to join," De Ligt said.

    "It was a big compliment but it was not the difference between me joining and not joining."

    Rather, De Ligt's interest in a switch to Serie A stemmed from his deep-rooted admiration of Italian defenders, including former Juve man and World Cup winner Fabio Cannavaro.

    Sarri's tactical approach runs counter to many of the country's established ideals but proved every bit as enticing for De Ligt, a player educated in possession football at Ajax.

    "I spoke to him on the phone really briefly just to get to know each other," the ex-Ajax captain said.

    "He's one of the reasons I wanted to come to Juventus because I heard a lot of good stories about him, the way he plays, the philosophy he has - attacking football - the defending line and how he prepares them.

    "Obviously there was a big reason to come here."

    Already considered one of Europe's finest in his position, the teenager is now seeking to accelerate his already advanced development as part of a star-studded dressing room.

    "Ajax was a younger environment and here I hope that I can learn from great champions like [Giorgio] Chiellini, Gianluigi Buffon, Cristiano and many others," he said.

  • Leroy Sane: No contact with Bayern Munich, says Pep Guardiola Leroy Sane: No contact with Bayern Munich, says Pep Guardiola

    Pep Guardiola remains hopeful winger Leroy Sane will stay at Manchester City and claims he has not spoken to anyone at Bayern Munich regarding the Germany international.

    Bayern are on the lookout for wide players to fill the sizeable void left by Franck Ribery and Arjen Robben with Sane top of their wishlist.

    Chairman Karl-Heinz Rummenigge and coach Niko Kovac have been vocal in their admiration of the 23-year-old with the former even suggesting the Bundesliga champions are "ready" to make a move should the player express a wish to leave the Etihad Stadium.

    Guardiola, speaking ahead of the Asia Trophy clash with Wolves, hinted at dissatisfaction with his former club's public pursuit and outlined his desire to keep Sane in the Premier League.

    He told reporters in Shanghai: "For a long time they talk about their interest, but Leroy is our player and hopefully he can stay next season and next season and next season."

    Pushed on if he had spoken to anyone at Bayern, Guardiola replied: "No."

    City have been relatively quiet in the transfer window so far, with the signing of defensive midfielder Rodri from Atletico Madrid their only major acquisition.

    Guardiola said: "We are so happy with the squad we have. I don't know if the players here will stay or if new players will come. But I am delighted with the players we have."

    City have been linked with Leicester City's Harry Maguire although it seems Manchester United now lead the race for the England international. Guardiola suggested central defence was an area he was considering strengthening but had options in his squad should a move not materialise.

    "There's a chance [of a defender coming in] but I don't know if it will be possible. We [already] have three incredible central defenders and Fernandinho can play in that position," he said.

  • Rondon reunites with Benitez at Dalian Yifang Rondon reunites with Benitez at Dalian Yifang

    Salomon Rondon has linked back up with former Newcastle United boss Rafael Benitez after leaving West Brom for Dalian Yifang.

    Venezuela striker Rondon joins the Chinese Super League side for an undisclosed fee.

    The 29-year-old played under Benitez on loan at Newcastle last season, scoring 12 goals in all competitions.

    He previously netted 24 times across three Premier League seasons for West Brom following his arrival from Russian outfit Zenit for a reported £12million in 2015.

    The Baggies were relegated to the Championship three years later and Rondon has now left the Hawthorns on a permanent basis.

    His new team-mates at Dalian include Yannick Carrasco and Marek Hamsik. 

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.