Milner hoping for third time lucky at Barcelona

By Sports Desk April 18, 2019

James Milner believes Liverpool can cause problems for Champions League favourites Barcelona despite his own forgettable experiences at Camp Nou. 

Milner was part of Manuel Pellegrini's Manchester City teams that bowed out at the first knockout stage in 2014 and 2015. 

The Reds will face Lionel Messi and his illustrious team-mates at a deeper stage of the competition, having swatted aside Porto to reach the semi-finals, and the 33-year-old believes their playing style under Jurgen Klopp can pose tough questions of any opponent.

"We can beat Barca but we know it will very tough," Milner told reporters. "I've been there a couple of times in the knockout stages with City and not got the right result, so hopefully it is third time lucky for me. 

"They are a strong team and it is a tough place to go but I don't think they will have played too many teams with the style we play either. It will be difficult.  

"They are a team full of great individual talent and a great side too. The Camp Nou is a fantastic stadium and a fantastic place to play with a great atmosphere. It will be very tough and we will have to be at our best but tough for them too.

"Over the last couple of seasons, with the teams we have beaten in the Champions League, we should go there with confidence no matter how tough it is going to be.  

"I'm sure you can see in this year's run and in games when things haven't been going well that we have got the experience. We have been there before and know how to get results." 

Attentions return to the Premier League, with Liverpool travelling to relegation-threatened Cardiff City on Sunday after City take on a Tottenham side that dramatically eliminated them from Europe in midweek. 

Both teams have set a relentless pace at the top of the table and Milner believes Liverpool must win all their remaining games – and reach a points haul of 97 – to become champions. 

"That is what we will have to do. That is what we will try to do," he added, with City's game in hand meaning last season's centurions can still go on to 98 this time around. 

"There are a lot of tough games coming up and it won't be easy. We are used to a game every three days and when the pressure is on towards the end of the season it maybe takes a bit more out of you.  

"But the team has been fantastic in terms of how we have dealt with it all."

Related items

  • Varane vows to stay at Real Madrid for next season Varane vows to stay at Real Madrid for next season

    Raphael Varane has ended speculation over his future after insisting he will still be at Real Madrid next season.

    Varane, 26, had been linked to the likes of Manchester United and Juventus after eight seasons with the LaLiga giants.

    Like many of his team-mates, the France international has endured a difficult 2018-19, which resulted in Los Blancos finishing third in the table – a whopping 19 points behind champions Barcelona.

    Varane, though, is adamant that he will remain at the Santiago Bernabeu as Zinedine Zidane looks to reverse the club's faltering fortunes.

    "I'm going to stay here next year; I'm sure we're going to relive strong emotions,” Varane told Marca.

    "We have fought, we have tried hard and we cannot blame anything in particular but it is true that we missed that spark in the difficult moments.

    "In football you have cycles and last season I was not at my best level, but we will see the best Varane again.

    "We have to evolve and Zinedine Zidane is clear about it: we have to rebuild, and we have to change things."

  • Argentina has strongest possible squad - Scaloni Argentina has strongest possible squad - Scaloni

    Lionel Scaloni admits it was difficult to leave players out of Argentina's 2019 Copa America squad but is confident he has chosen the country's 23 best players.

    Paulo Dybala has made the cut despite a disappointing season with Juventus, while Manchester City's Sergio Aguero has been called up for the first time since last year's dreadful World Cup campaign.

    However, there is no room for Inter striker Mauro Icardi after a controversial season with the Serie A club, which saw him left out of the team and stripped of the captaincy.

    While conceding he had doubts during the selection process, Scaloni is now content he has a squad capable of winning the tournament for the first time since 1993.

    "We believe that these are the best players we have at this moment," he told a media conference. "Some were left out due to injury, but they were always in consideration.

    "When you have so many players of a good level to choose from, there are always doubts. It is difficult to explain everything, but the final decision is always about what is best for the team.

    "We suffer when we have to leave a player out. It's our job, but it's not easy for us.

    "We want people to identify with all these guys. We are convinced that they are the best for the moment. We are clear about what we want and we know what our idea is."

    Argentina will play Colombia, Paraguay and Qatar in the group stage and Scaloni is expecting tough tests against all three.

    "Colombia is one of the most powerful teams in South America; they have great players," he added.

    "Paraguay is a very competitive team and Qatar won the Asian Cup by playing very well. It is going to be a complicated group."

  • Kompany set for Manchester City testimonial at Etihad Stadium Kompany set for Manchester City testimonial at Etihad Stadium

    Vincent Kompany will feature for Manchester City one last time in a testimonial match to be played in September.

    Kompany confirmed on Sunday that he will leave the club after 11 years in order to take up a player-manager role at former side Anderlecht.

    The Belgian's last official game for City came in Saturday's 6-0 FA Cup final demolition of Watford, which completed an unprecedented domestic treble.

    He said farewell to supporters during City's parade for FA Cup, Premier League and EFL Cup trophies on Monday, while coach Pep Guardiola insisted he would return to the club again one day.

    Kompany will be back perhaps sooner than expected, as the club confirmed he will lead a 'City Legends' side against a Premier League 'All-Stars' team on September 11 at the Etihad Stadium.

    The fixture will raise money for homeless charity Tackle4MCR, a foundation the defender helped set up along with Mayor of Greater Manchester Andy Burnham.

    "City favourites from the recent past and present will play alongside the captain again, with some familiar Premier League stars of the past decade in direct opposition," the club said.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.