Manchester City lay on Wembley coaches for fans

By Sports Desk April 18, 2019

Manchester City's players will fund coach travel for supporters attending next month's FA Cup final against Watford. 

Each member of the City first-team squad will fund a bus, making 26 in total, subject to demand. 

"The support from our fans throughout the season has been nothing short of incredible," City captain Vincent Kompany told his club's official website. 

"Travelling to so many games in league and cup competitions, both home and away, is not easy to do and is something that every player in our squad values and appreciates." 

City were knocked out of the Champions League on away goals by Tottenham on Wednesday when a dramatic tie ended 4-4 on aggregate at the Etihad Stadium. 

Pep Guardiola's team remain in contention for an unprecedented domestic treble, as they continue to march on blow-for-blow with Liverpool at the top of the Premier League after lifting the EFL Cup thanks to a penalty shoot-out triumph over Chelsea February. 

Those exertions mean the Watford game will be City's fifth trip to Wembley this season, with supporters having criticised both high ticket prices and limited public transport provision back to Manchester from London following kick-offs in the late afternoon.

"Although last night’s result [against Tottenham] was not the one that we had hoped for, it was very special to hear our fans in full voice for 90 minutes backing the team," Kompany added. 

"We still have so much to fight for this season and this is our way of saying thank you to them for being with us every step of the way." 

Related items

  • Jamaica Football Federation doles out US$300,000 for Reggae Girlz contracts Jamaica Football Federation doles out US$300,000 for Reggae Girlz contracts
  • Jamaica's Professional Football Association to be dissolved Jamaica's Professional Football Association to be dissolved

    The decision by the Jamaica Football Federation and the Premier League Clubs Association to dissolve the Professional Football Association of Jamaica was the result over consultations with representatives of CONCACAF that began more than a year ago.

  • Varane vows to stay at Real Madrid for next season Varane vows to stay at Real Madrid for next season

    Raphael Varane has ended speculation over his future after insisting he will still be at Real Madrid next season.

    Varane, 26, had been linked to the likes of Manchester United and Juventus after eight seasons with the LaLiga giants.

    Like many of his team-mates, the France international has endured a difficult 2018-19, which resulted in Los Blancos finishing third in the table – a whopping 19 points behind champions Barcelona.

    Varane, though, is adamant that he will remain at the Santiago Bernabeu as Zinedine Zidane looks to reverse the club's faltering fortunes.

    "I'm going to stay here next year; I'm sure we're going to relive strong emotions,” Varane told Marca.

    "We have fought, we have tried hard and we cannot blame anything in particular but it is true that we missed that spark in the difficult moments.

    "In football you have cycles and last season I was not at my best level, but we will see the best Varane again.

    "We have to evolve and Zinedine Zidane is clear about it: we have to rebuild, and we have to change things."

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.