EPL

Rose, Smalling and Deeney launch PFA anti-racism campaign #Enough

By Sports Desk April 18, 2019

Danny Rose, Chris Smalling and Troy Deeney are among the Premier League players who will boycott social media for 24 hours as part of a Professional Footballers' Association (PFA) initiative to take a stand against racism. 

The PFA's #Enough campaign will encourage players in England and Wales to refrain from using their personal accounts between 09:00 GMT on Friday until the same time the following day. 

Rose was racially abused during last month's Euro 2020 qualifier in Montenegro alongside England team-mates Raheem Sterling and Callum Hudson-Odoi, and the Tottenham full-back recently said he "can't wait to see the back of football". 

In the past week Arsenal and Chelsea both condemned supporters who allegedly abused Kalidou Koulibaly and Mohamed Salah respectively and the proliferation of such incidents has persuaded the PFA to act. 

"When I said that I can't wait to see the back of football, it is because of the racism that I, and many other players, have been subjected to our entire careers," Rose said. "Football has a problem with racism.

"I don't want any future players to go through what I've been through in my career. Collectively, we are simply not willing to stand by while too little is done by football authorities and social media companies to protect players from this disgusting abuse." 

The PFA has also pledged to continue its work with the Football Association and apply more pressure to governing bodies FIFA and UEFA through the international players' union FIFPro. 

Manchester United centre-back Smalling said: "Throughout my career I have developed a thick skin against verbal abuse, justifying it as just 'part of the game' but the time has come for Twitter, Instagram and Facebook to consider regulating their channels, taking responsibility for protecting the mental health of users regardless of age, race, sex or income.

"I understand that I am in an extremely privileged position and I am deeply thankful for that but, at the end of the day, we are all human. 

"As a patron of a youth education charity it is my duty to use my platform as a voice for all, regardless of background. We have to take a greater stand against discrimination of all kinds." 

Leicester City captain Wes Morgan, Arsenal forward Danielle Carter and Wycombe Wanderers striker Adebayo Akinfenwa also launched the PFA campaign alongside Deeney, the Watford forward who was targeted by racist messages alongside team-mates Adrian Mariappa and Christian Kabasele after scoring in his team's dramatic FA Cup semi-final win over Wolves. 

"My team-mates and I have been on the receiving end of well documented abuse from a minority of narrow-minded, ignorant people both on social media and on the pitch," Deeney said. 

"Any racism in football is too much, and it's essential that we fight it wherever and whenever we see it. 

"On Friday we are sending a message to anyone that abuses players - or anyone else - whether from the crowd or online, that we won't tolerate it within football."

Deeney added: "The boycott is just one small step, but the players are speaking out with one voice against racism – enough is enough." 

Related items

  • 'Eighth or ninth is not for me' - Mourinho cold on Newcastle links 'Eighth or ninth is not for me' - Mourinho cold on Newcastle links

    Jose Mourinho gave a clear indication that the vacant manager's position at Newcastle United would not appeal to him, saying that taking charge of a club where the objective is to stay in the top half of the table not in his nature.

    The Magpies are searching for a new manager following the failure to agree a deal with Rafael Benitez, whose three-year spell at the club is set to end when his contract expires on Sunday.

    Mourinho has been without a job in football since he left Manchester United in December 2018 and was linked with the vacancy at St. James' Park.

    But in an interview with The Coaches' Voice he gave a clear description of the kind of job he does not want to take on.

    "The only thing I know is what I don't want," said Mourinho.

    "What I don't want is crystal clear. I am quite pathalogical in the sense that I have to play to win. Then, if I win or if I don't win, that's my problem and the players and the club and the structure. But I need a project where the feeling is I play to win.

    "If someone gives me a wonderful, amazing 10-year contract and says the objective of the team is to stay in the first part of the table, and if you finish seventh or eighth or ninth it's perfect, that's not for me. That's not my nature.

    "It's not me. My next is to fight to win."

    Mourinho was linked with Juventus before the Italian champions appointed Maurizio Sarri as their new head coach, and the former Inter and Porto boss said he is open to working in a new setting when he takes his next job.

    He offered a reminder of his unparalleled success as a manager in Europe's top leagues, while hinting that a role in charge of a national team is not out of the question.

    "I'm quite flexible to adapt," said Mourinho. "I'm quite flexible to sometimes go against my own ideas and choose the right way to succeed.

    "I am until now the only manager that won the league in England, Italy and Spain. You need that flexibility, that control of the environment. You need to adapt to the reality of the club, of the competition, even socially you need to understand the needs, the aims, the motivations of everyone.

    "That's why I say that I'm really rich with this kind of experience – that's why I don't close the door to a new country, to a new competition because I've always liked this feeling of the unknown and this feeling: can I win?"

  • Foden can replace me at City, says Silva Foden can replace me at City, says Silva

    David Silva has backed Phil Foden to fill his boots when he leaves Manchester City at the end of next season, saying of the 19-year-old: "He reminds me of myself when I was young."

    Former Spain international Silva announced his decision to leave the Etihad Stadium at the end of 2019-20, which will be his 10th and final campaign for the Premier League champions.

    Foden has made 38 first-team appearances during his two seasons in Pep Guardiola's senior squad and his performances have seen him earmarked as a star of the future.

    Silva sung Foden's praises as he discussed his departure from City, telling reporters: "I'm sure he's going to be a fantastic player. He's a very nice man and he will be a good replacement for me.

    "Apart from his natural skills, he's a very competitive person. He always wants to win and that makes a very good footballer.

    "When you're young, you always ask people with experience. I've given him lots of advice, like how to move on the pitch. He's taken the information in and he's getting better day by day."

    "He reminds me of myself when I was young — especially how he is as a person. He's very quiet but always there, competing. He hates losing.

    "The best advice I can give him is always stay calm. Whatever happens in football, the highs and lows, always keep calm."

    Silva's announcement comes in the wake of Vincent Kompany's decision to swap City for his boyhood club Anderlecht, where he will be player-manager next season.

    Speaking at the launch of a campaign to stop domestic violence in his native Gran Canaria, Silva spoke about the challenge that awaits his club in replacing the man who won four Premier Leagues, two FA Cups and four EFL Cups during his 11 years as a City player.

    "It's going to be very difficult to replace a player like Vinnie, on the pitch and off it," said Silva, who has made 396 appearances for City, scoring 70 goals.

    "He was an excellent warrior for City. But with the new generation we will find another one, another Vinnie.

    "You always need experienced footballers around to help you. But City's future is in safe hands with Bernardo [Silva], Raheem [Sterling], Leroy [Sane] and Phil there."

  • Rumour Has It: Barca eye United's Lindelof as De Ligt alternative Rumour Has It: Barca eye United's Lindelof as De Ligt alternative

    Defence appears to be an area of interest for LaLiga champions Barcelona.

    Despite already boasting centre-backs Gerard Pique, Clement Lenglet and Samuel Umtiti, Barca continue to be linked to Ajax star Matthijs de Ligt.

    However, the Blaugrana have contingency plans should they miss out on the 19-year-old sensation.

     

    TOP STORY – LINDELOF BARCA'S PLAN B

    Manchester United defender Victor Lindelof is Barcelona's alternative to Ajax captain Matthijs de Ligt, according to Mundo Deportivo.

    The race is hotting up for De Ligt, who is a target for the LaLiga champions, United, Paris Saint-Germain and Juventus.

    With uncertainty over De Ligt's destination, Barca reportedly contacted United over Lindelof but the Red Devils rejected the approach. The 24-year-old moved to Old Trafford from Benfica for €35million in 2017 and the Spanish giants remain confident a deal can be struck.

     

    ROUND-UP

    Ajax and Netherlands midfielder Donny van de Beek has emerged as alternative target should Real Madrid miss out on Manchester United star Paul Pogba, according to Marca. Pogba has also been linked to Juventus and Corriere dello Sport claims the Frenchman and the Serie A champions will ask Adidas to intervene in a bid to bring him back to Turin.

    - According to Tuttosport, an agreement on salary has been reached between Juventus and De Ligt. Juve are increasingly optimistic a deal will be reached with Ajax.

    Tottenham have not signed a player since 2018 but the Champions League finalists a poised to complete a club-record transfer for Lyon midfielder Tanguy Ndombele, says the Telegraph. A £55m transfer is set to be finalised, with Spurs also closing in on Leeds winger Jack Clarke, according to the Daily Mail.

    - Marca says Barcelona are preparing for lengthy negotiations as they try to bring Neymar back to Camp Nou from Paris Saint-Germain following his €222milllion move in 2017.

    - Premier League champions Manchester City and rivals Manchester United will battle it out for Leicester City centre-back Harry Maguire, who is rated at £65m, Sky Sports reports.

    AC Milan are confident of signing Lucas Torreira from Arsenal, according to Gianluca Di Marzio. Milan want to reunite Torreira with former Sampdoria boss Marco Giampaolo on an initial two-year deal with the option of a permanent €30m transfer. France Football also says the Rossoneri are also a possible destination for Lyon captain Nabil Fekir.

    Manchester United are considering a move for Sevilla's Wissam Ben Yedder should Romelu Lukaku join Inter, according to France Football.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.