De Jong tells De Ligt to join Barcelona

By Sports Desk April 17, 2019

Former Ajax captain Siem de Jong would like to see in-demand teenage defender Matthijs de Ligt join LaLiga champions Barcelona.

Linked with Europe's biggest clubs – including Barcelona, Bayern Munich, Manchester City and Juventus, Ajax head coach Erik ten Hag said there is "zero chance" of skipper De Ligt remaining in Amsterdam.

The 19-year-old Netherlands international produced a match-winning display in Turin, where he scored as Ajax stunned Juventus 2-1 on Tuesday to advance to the Champions League semi-finals 3-2 on aggregate.

"I've heard a lot of stories about clubs wanting to buy him," De Jong – who is loan at A-League side Sydney FC from Ajax – told Omnisport.

"I get it. He is a young guy, really strong already physically. Really good in his head too. A good guy and good for the team.

"I'm not sure where he will go, he has enough choices. It will probably be a really nice club. One of my favourite clubs are Barcelona, so I wouldn't mind seeing him there."

De Ligt could reunite with star midfielder Frenkie de Jong, who will leave Ajax for Barca at the end of the season.

The 21-year-old De Jong is set for Camp Nou after a transfer worth €86million in total was agreed in January.

De Jong has continued to dazzle in Eredivisie and the Champions League this season, and his namesake hailed the "unique" Dutchman.

"He is really good on the ball," Siem de Jong said. "He isn't scared. Even sometimes in the back, he makes his actions. He is strong on the ball and won't lose it.

"If you see him, a lot of Ajax's build-up starts with him. He creates openings for other team-mates. He is a unique player in this time. He can really create things that others can't."

Asked if he can get even better alongside Lionel Messi at Barca, De Jong replied: "Of course. Even playing alongside all the other players there and competing in bigger leagues will be good for him.

"He will be improving a lot in the coming years. For him it's a really, really nice challenge."

Related items

  • Barcelona 1-2 Chelsea: Abraham and Barkley strike on Griezmann's debut Barcelona 1-2 Chelsea: Abraham and Barkley strike on Griezmann's debut

    Antoine Griezmann made his Barcelona debut on Tuesday but was unable to prevent the LaLiga champions slipping to a 2-1 friendly defeat to Chelsea in Saitama.

    World Cup winner Griezmann – who joined the club in a €120million move earlier this month – made little impact during his 45-minute appearance against Frank Lampard's side, who went in front through Tammy Abraham's 34th-minute goal.

    Barcelona looked bright at the start of the second period before Ross Barkley's fine finish nine minutes from time sealed the win, despite Ivan Rakitic's late strike.

    Chelsea continue their preparations for the 2019-20 season with a game against Championship side Reading on Sunday, while Barca take on Vissel Kobe – and their former player Andres Iniesta – a day earlier.

    Barcelona could – and perhaps should – have gone ahead inside the opening minute but Oriol Busquets' header from eight yards sailed over Kepa Arrizabalaga's goal.

    Abraham was equally wasteful in the 23rd minute, blazing a half-volley over from six yards after Marc-Andre ter Stegen had failed to hold Christian Pulisic's powerful strike.

    The striker made up for that miss soon after, though, coolly rounding Ter Stegen and slotting into an empty net after Jorginho had cut out Sergio Busquets' sloppy pass on the edge of the penalty area.

    Pulisic could have doubled their advantage five minutes before the interval but crashed a left-footed effort into the side netting, while a subdued Ousmane Dembele saw his low strike kept out by Kepa at the other end.

    Barca were a team reborn after making 11 changes at the break, Rafinha, Carles Perez and Carles Alena all testing Kepa with low strikes in the opening stages of the second half.

    Chelsea substitute Kenedy inexplicably headed well wide after latching onto Barkley's lofted pass but the England international made no mistake in the 81st minute, squeezing an effort inside Neto's right-hand post from 18 yards.

    The Spanish side at least ended the game on a positive note, Rakitic thundering into the top corner from distance in stoppage time.

  • Sarri maps out multiple roles for Dybala at Juventus Sarri maps out multiple roles for Dybala at Juventus

    Maurizio Sarri insists he has several ways of incorporating Paulo Dybala into his plans at Juventus amid speculation about the player's future.

    Manchester United have been linked with an approach for the Argentina international, who struggled for form under Massimiliano Allegri last season.

    Dybala scored just five Serie A goals, his worst return for the club, while struggling to nail down a consistent role following Cristiano Ronaldo's arrival.

    There have been questions about how he will fit into Sarri's system, and whether Gonzalo Higuain's return could prompt a departure, but the new Bianconeri boss has ideas in mind for Dybala.

    "He could easily play in the false nine role," Sarri said.

    "We could also find different solutions. He could play as a midfielder, or as a trequartista [playmaker] behind two strikers."

    The Argentine forward is not part of Juve's pre-season tour of Asia as he takes a break after playing in the Copa America.

    Sarri took charge of the Serie A champions for the first time on Sunday and suffered a late 3-2 loss to Tottenham in the International Champions Cup.

    Bouncing back could prove difficult in a Derby d'Italia date with Inter in Nanjing, although the ex-Chelsea and Napoli boss tempered expectations for a feisty encounter.

    "Juventus against Inter is a game like no other," he said. "But you will see two teams facing each other that will not be able to express themselves at their best, because of the physical conditions and given the humidity.

    "We'll try to carry on in the same manner as our initial comeback against Spurs.

    "I don't expect a big difference to that of the first game."

  • I never came close to Juventus return, insists Inter boss Conte I never came close to Juventus return, insists Inter boss Conte

    Antonio Conte insists he never came close to making a dramatic return to Juventus before his appointment as Inter head coach.

    Conte signed a three-year contract to replace Luciano Spalletti at San Siro but had been linked with a return to Juve – who he guided to three titles during his time in charge - following Massimiliano Allegri's departure at the end of the 2018-19 season.

    Maurizio Sarri was eventually appointed by the Serie A champions and prior to facing his former club in the International Champions Cup, Conte revealed he did not even speak to Juventus.

    "No, I have never been close to becoming Juventus coach again," he told a media conference. "I never received any phone call.

    "It was always Inter that showed great affection and great interest in me. I feel great responsibility towards my new club and want to build something that at the moment is not there."

    Asked is Sarri was the right man for the job, Conte replied: "If Juve has taken this decision they will have had good reasons. It is not for me to judge."

    Wednesday's game in Nanjing will be the first time Conte has faced his former club since his departure and says there will be no love lost once the game kicks off.

    "There will be excitement on my part," he said. "It is the first time I have met the Bianconeri as an opponent since my relationship with them ended.

    "Seeing so many friends will be exciting but when the whistle goes it will all be over. Juve is an opponent for me and they consider me the same way."

    Inter have been heavily linked with a move for Manchester United striker Romelu Lukaku during the close season, with Conte already revealing that it is his "will and hope" that a deal is struck for the Belgium international.

    When asked if a potential move was any closer, Conte said: "I think that some reflections will be made then decisions will be taken for the good of Inter.

    "We will take everything into account. Not only on the field but also in terms of financial fair play. Certainly, decisions can shift the balance and also expectations."

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.