Benzema is used to the transfer rumours - Zidane praises in-form striker

By Sports Desk April 15, 2019

Zinedine Zidane does not believe that Karim Benzema has been affected by rumours that Real Madrid are looking to replace him for next season.

Benzema scored his fifth goal in four LaLiga fixtures - and 18th in total - on Monday, though it was only enough to secure a 1-1 draw away at Leganes.

The Frenchman has now netted Madrid's last five goals, yet media reports have suggested the club could bring in another striker in the next transfer window.

Zidane, however, insisted that he is thrilled with his compatriot's performances this term.

"He is playing a very good season, especially in terms of goals. In the end, he is a fantastic player and this year he has changed, which means more goals," he told a news conference.

"He's used to that, to the rumours that players are coming, but for him it does not change anything. He showed his personality and that's it, he's doing well for the team, he's doing a lot of goals. I'm happy."

However, one player who may well be heading for the Madrid exit door is Gareth Bale, who came on as a substitute with nine minutes remaining and left the field sharply at full-time, though Zidane defended the Welshman.

"You can ask every day and I'm going to answer you every day. He's an important player in the squad, I do not know how many matches he's played since I came in," Zidane said.

"He played three games out of four, I think. Today I wanted to make a change and that's it.

"In the end it's like Lucas [Vazquez], playing 10-15 minutes is complicated for them, but the changes are made to change the game and we did not."

Madrid sit in third place in the table, four points behind Atletico Madrid. They are next in action on Sunday when they face Athletic Bilbao.

Related items

  • Solskjaer again calls for patience at Man United: It can't be a quick fix Solskjaer again calls for patience at Man United: It can't be a quick fix

    Ole Gunnar Solskjaer again warned there was no "quick fix" at Manchester United, although the Premier League giants are still hoping for further signings.

    United are coming off a sixth-place finish last season, a difficult campaign seeing them end up 32 points adrift of champions and rivals Manchester City.

    Daniel James and Aaron Wan-Bissaka have been added to United's squad from Swansea City and Crystal Palace respectively, while the club are linked with numerous other signings – most notably Leicester City defender Harry Maguire – and have the likes of Paul Pogba and Romelu Lukaku potentially exiting.

    Solskjaer is still hoping for further additions to his squad, but – as he did earlier in the year – again asked for patience as United look to close the gap to the top.

    "I know it's hard getting players in and over the line," the manager said.

    "We've been doing our jobs. We've been finding, identifying players. Scouting them. But they have got clubs.

    "It took time with Aaron, it took time with Dan, but they got it over the line. It's not like we're going to sign 10 players. It can't be a quick fix.

    "As I've said to you, we're working on one or two and we're still hoping but I also understand that the market has changed. Prices have soared."

    Sporting CP midfielder Bruno Fernandes, Newcastle United's Sean Longstaff and Lazio's Sergej Milinkovic-Savic have also been linked with the Premier League giants.

    United's approach in the transfer market has been criticised at times, but Solskjaer said the club would remain patient.

    "We have been linked with so many players. I am sure you don't believe every single player that we have been linked with," he said.

    "But I think that Man United sometimes have, because of the wealth, maybe we have had to pay more, a bigger premium to get players in and that's just the world we live in.

    "And we have taken our time and we are not going to overpay but we have to get the right people in, the right players."

    Manchester United face Leeds United in their second pre-season friendly in Perth on Wednesday.

  • James set for Atletico? That's a stretch – Cerezo James set for Atletico? That's a stretch – Cerezo

    Atletico Madrid president Enrique Cerezo denied James Rodriguez is poised to join the LaLiga side, adding there have not been negotiations for the Real Madrid midfielder.

    Tipped to move to Napoli throughout the off-season, Atletico have reportedly emerged as the favourites to sign James as the Italian outfit and Madrid struggle to reach an agreement.

    James is set to leave Madrid following a two-year loan spell at Bayern Munich, who opted not to make the deal permanent at the end of 2018-19.

    Asked about Colombia star James, Cerezo told reporters: "Atletico are interested in great players and James is a great player, but from that to he's going to come, there's some distance.

    "Negotiations? Not that I know of, no."

    Atletico have been busy in the transfer market, breaking a club record to sign Portuguese sensation Joao Felix, while also adding Marcos Llorente, Hector Herrera, Felipe, Renan Lodi and Ivan Saponjic following the departures of stars like Antoine Griezmann, Rodri, Lucas Hernandez and Diego Godin.

    Diego Simeone's transfer business is far from over, however, with Tottenham right-back Kieran Trippier and Espanyol defender Mario Hermoso reportedly close to moving to the Spanish capital.

    "We've had a few signings and are in negotiations for a few more," Cerezo said. "Negotiations can end well or badly, but there are negotiations.

    "Everything's going well, the team is training well, blending in well and very happy at Los Angeles de San Rafael. Now we're waiting for next season with a month left to go."

  • Pogba can get his 'new challenge' at Manchester United – Solskjaer Pogba can get his 'new challenge' at Manchester United – Solskjaer

    Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has promised star midfielder Paul Pogba he can get the "new challenge" he is seeking at Manchester United.

    A month ago, France international Pogba said he wanted "a new challenge somewhere else" amid reports former club Juventus and LaLiga giants Real Madrid could try and prise the 26-year-old away from Old Trafford.

    Pogba returned to Premier League side United for a then-record fee of £89million in August 2016, though he has been criticised for failing to consistently deliver the type of performances he did when helping France to win the World Cup at Russia 2018.

    Solskjaer, who replaced Jose Mourinho as United manager in December 2018, revealed he has spoken to Pogba on several occasions and is not annoyed by his comments.

    "I've said many times about Paul that he's a top, top boy and a great player and he's never, ever been a problem," Solskjaer said in quotes published on several British newspapers' websites.

    "When we get him playing as he did when I came in, and if we get him playing like that again, he will win you over as well.

    "I've not been upset by anything he's said because we've had many conversations and I know exactly what Paul is thinking. I can give him a new challenge."

    A fresh challenge is exactly what Alexis Sanchez expected when he swapped Arsenal for United in January 2018.

    However, the Chile international has underwhelmed so far and has failed to reproduce the type of form he showed across three-and-a-half seasons with the Gunners having scored just five goals in 45 games for United in all competitions.

    Sanchez, sidelined by a hamstring injury sustained at the Copa America, has been warned he must show he is worthy of a place in Solskjaer's team.

    "I will have to help," Solskjaer added.

    "I've just answered a question here that you can't spoon-feed them. They've got to come in and grab their chances.

    "And Alexis is quality and he showed it in the Copa America."

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.