Carvajal: I have failed Real Madrid this season

By Sports Desk April 15, 2019

Dani Carvajal has described his season as "a fail" and says all his Real Madrid team-mates have fallen well short of their high standards.  

Los Blancos are destined to finish the season in disappointing fashion after exiting the Champions League in the last 16 to Ajax and failing to keep up with the pace set by LaLiga leaders Barcelona, who also dumped them out of the Copa del Rey.

Their season has been characterised by chaos in the dugout with the club burning through two head coaches – Julen Lopetegui and Santiago Solari – before Zinedine Zidane returned in March after resigning in the wake of leading the club to a third consecutive Champions League title in 2018.

Carvajal has featured 28 times in all competitions for Madrid this season but admits he is less than impressed with his contribution.

When asked by Marca what grade he would give himself out of 10, he responded: "I'd give myself a four, a fail. I go with what the group is, and we've not done things well.

"It's football, but we haven't given the best we could give. For what reason, I couldn't tell you. But none of us have been at our best.

"We've been together for many years and we know each other. That has been the key, but this year we haven't fought for anything."

The 27-year-old pinpointed Madrid's failure to adequately replace their all-time leading goalscorer Cristiano Ronaldo, who joined Juventus ahead of the 2018-19 campaign in a €112million deal, as one of the main issues behind their struggles.

"It's clear that when a player hits 50 goals you have to try to find them from somewhere else," he explained.  

"There have been times when we scored many goals, but also conceded. We had anxiety and it cost us points."

Madrid travel to Leganes on Monday looking to close the gap to second-place Atletico Madrid to two points.

Related items

  • Simeone delighted 'extraordinary' Oblak has signed new Atletico deal Simeone delighted 'extraordinary' Oblak has signed new Atletico deal

    Diego Simeone feels Jan Oblak's recent contract extension is vital to Atletico Madrid's future as he is "probably the best keeper in the world".

    Slovenia international Oblak signed fresh terms on a four-year deal with Atletico last week, the new agreement reportedly including a release clause of around €100million.

    The former Benfica goalkeeper, 26, has spent the past five years in the Spanish capital having succeeded Thibaut Courtois as the club's number one in 2014.

    Simeone compared Oblak's new deal to Antoine Griezmann's contract extension last year in terms of its importance to the Rojiblancos moving forward.

    "It is very important for the club and a great decision - as it was with the Griezmann one last year - on staying with us," Simeone told reporters at a news conference to preview Valencia's trip to the Wanda Metropolitano.

    "He is probably the best keeper in the world.

    "It is a big joy for the club and for the fans because Jan is an extraordinary goalkeeper.

    "It is something which is very good news for the club, that's for sure."

    Barcelona will be confirmed as LaLiga champions should they beat Deportivo Alaves on Tuesday and Atleti then lose to Valencia the following day.

    Copa del Rey finalists and Europa League semi-finalists Valencia have found form in recent months, losing just one of their previous 22 games in all competitions, as they chase a top-four finish.

    They won only one of their opening 13 matches but Simeone always expected Valencia to turn their season around.

    "I think this last period of the season is what they planned at the beginning, according to the squad they have," he added.

    "I am not surprised seeing how they are improving because they are a solid and organised team with a clear concept of the game and good replacement players.

    "So, being at this position in the table, playing the semi-final of the Europa League and [having] qualified for the final of the Copa del Rey describes how good their squad is."

    Simeone, who remains without the suspended Diego Costa, will have defender Stefan Savic available again after he returned to training on Tuesday following a hamstring injury.

  • Jovic set for greatness amid Barca and Madrid links – Milosevic Jovic set for greatness amid Barca and Madrid links – Milosevic

    Barcelona and Real Madrid target Luka Jovic is a "natural-born killer" who will undoubtedly become one of the best strikers in the world, according to Savo Milosevic.

    Jovic has been linked with LaLiga giants Barca and Madrid after taking Europe by storm this season, scoring 25 goals in all competitions for Eintracht Frankfurt.

    Only Bayern Munich star Robert Lewandowski (21) has scored more 2018-19 Bundesliga goals than Jovic (17), whose two-year loan from Portuguese giants Benfica became permanent last week.

    Eintracht are reportedly set to cash in on Jovic amid interest from Barca and Madrid, and 102-time Serbia international Milosevic, who hails from the same city – Bijeljina – as his countryman, insisted the 21-year-old striker is destined for greatness.

    "Luka is very, very, very special. His capacity for scoring goals is incredible," Milosevic – now head coach of Serbian side Partizan Belgrade – told Omnisport.

    "From any position and with any part of the body, he simply senses the goal. He is a natural-born killer.

    "You cannot train some of those things. You have them or not. He will be one of the best strikers in the world in a few years, I have no doubt about it.

    "He is still a kid. He is showing some incredible things."

    Milosevic, who spent time with Real Zaragoza, Espanyol, Celta Vigo and Osasuna during his successful playing career as a striker, added: "Both of the big clubs would be great for him and he would be great for Barca or Madrid.

    "It would be a good solution for any of those two clubs."

     Luka Jović this season = 


    #UEL | @eintracht_eng pic.twitter.com/fX7lWXuRXl

    — UEFA Europa League (@EuropaLeague) April 18, 2019

    Jovic's goals have helped Eintracht up to fourth in the Bundesliga – the final Champions League qualifying spot – as the German side prepare for a blockbuster Europa League semi-final against Chelsea.

  • Injured Reggae Boyz keeper Andre Blake expected to be fit for Gold Cup Injured Reggae Boyz keeper Andre Blake expected to be fit for Gold Cup

    Jamaica’s football bosses are breathing a collective sigh of relief following news that their first choice goalkeeper Andre Blake is expected to recover from injury in time to start in the CONCACAF Gold Cup in June.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.