Kompany says Manchester City contract talks can wait

By Sports Desk April 15, 2019

Vincent Kompany wants to continue his career next season but is content to delay discussions over a new Manchester City deal.

City captain Kompany, 33, is out of contract at the end of 2018-19..

The experienced defender has been at the Etihad Stadium since 2008 and reports earlier this year indicated he will be offered a 12-month extension.

However, Pep Guardiola has previously warned the Belgium international will not be retained purely for sentimental reasons, with injury issues having restricted him to nine Premier League starts this term.

"I'll be playing next season," Kompany said when asked about his future by talkSPORT, though the centre-back did not specify where.

"I'm part of the [City] family now, so we'll deal with this situation as a family.

"We might agree or disagree, but it won't change any of the relationships between me and the club.

"But it's not a priority right now. One guarantee is that I will be playing and trying to win more trophies."

Kompany played 90 minutes in the 3-1 win over Crystal Palace on Sunday after watching from the bench as City slumped to a 1-0 loss in the first leg of their Champions League quarter-final tie against Tottenham.

The ex-Anderlecht and Hamburg man is confident the deficit can be overturned when the teams reconvene in Manchester on Wednesday.

"Of course we can, but it will need to be a special night," he said.

"I look at Wednesday and for me it's a night of opportunities. You go into these games and you know you can do something special. If not, why are we in this game?"

And manager Guardiola is equally confident of progressing to the final four.

"If you ask me what is going to happen, we'll be in the semi-finals. That is what I feel right now," Guardiola told Sky Sports.

"It's what I felt right after the game and when I reviewed the game. Maybe I'm wrong but what I feel now, we'll be in the semi-finals.

"The [first-leg] result is not ideal but it's not a disaster. We are able to score goals and we are going to do it."

Related items

  • Sarri on the same level as Guardiola – Sacchi Sarri on the same level as Guardiola – Sacchi

    Newly appointed Juventus coach Maurizio Sarri is on the same level as Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola, according to Arrigo Sacchi.

    Sarri was confirmed as Juve boss on Sunday, leaving Chelsea after just one season in the Premier League.

    Reports suggested Guardiola was also a target for the Serie A champions, who sacked Massimiliano Allegri last month.

    Sacchi – who won two European Cups and a Serie A title at the helm of AC Milan in the 1980s and '90s – feels Sarri is one of the best tacticians in the world.

    "Sarri is of the same level as [Jurgen] Klopp, Guardiola, [Mauricio] Pochettino," he said on Monday.

    "They have the same vision of work."

    Guardiola has won two Premier League titles in three seasons at the helm of City, but his last Champions League success came with Barcelona in 2011.

    Sacchi played down suggestions Juve ever had a chance of bringing Guardiola to Turin.

    "He sent me a message. I heard that with Guardiola to Juve there was never anything," he said.

    "He is very happy where he is. This season he will try to win the Champions League."

  • Rumour Has It: Pogba race intensifies as Man United prepare bumper new contract Rumour Has It: Pogba race intensifies as Man United prepare bumper new contract

    The race for Paul Pogba appears well and truly on, but Manchester United will not let the midfielder go easily.

    The France international said on Sunday he would be interested in a "new challenge", casting fresh doubt over his future at Old Trafford.

    Real Madrid have continually been linked with Pogba, but it seems Paris Saint-Germain, and perhaps former club Juventus, could also be interested.

     

    TOP STORY – POGBA INTEREST INTENSIFIES

    Real Madrid indicated they are willing to pay £90million for Pogba despite United valuing the midfielder at £150m, according to The Sun.

    United are ready to do their all to keep Pogba, with the Daily Mail reporting they are set to offer him a bumper new contract worth close to £500,000 per week.

    This saga appears likely to take time to play out with Ligue 1 champions PSG also expressing an interest in Pogba, according to The Independent.

    ROUND-UP

    - Neymar appears more and more likely to leave PSG in the close season. Globo Esporte says talks are already underway for the Brazil international to return to Barcelona, who may pay €100m and send players, with Ivan Rakitic, Ousmane Dembele and Samuel Umtiti mentioned.

    - It seems Benfica sensation Joao Felix has decided where he will be next season. According to Record, the 19-year-old Portugal international was in Spain to sign with Atletico Madrid in a €120m move, a report Benfica denied. El Chiringuito later claimed to have spotted the attacker and agent Jorge Mendes leaving a Madrid restaurant.

    - Real Madrid look like they want to see Gareth Bale make an exit before next season. ABC says the LaLiga giants have lowered their asking price for the Wales international from €100m to €85m.

    - With Neymar and Antoine Griezmann potentially arriving, Philippe Coutinho's Barcelona future seems clouded. AS reports PSG have made contact with the player's camp, while he may return to the Premier League. However, Sky Sports News reports Coutinho is unwilling to join Manchester United out of respect to former club Liverpool, but The Sun says he would head to Chelsea, although the club's transfer ban is standing in the way of that move.

    - Now that Juventus have appointed Maurizio Sarri, the Serie A champions could make numerous additions. Tuttosport reported Juve vice-president Pavel Nedved met with agent Mino Raiola regarding Ajax captain Matthijs de Ligt – who is expected to join PSG – and Pogba.

    - A dream Chelsea return for Frank Lampard could be on the cards. The Sun reports the club great and Derby County manager is set for talks with owner Roman Abramovich over the position left vacant at Stamford Bridge by Sarri's departure. The same paper also reports Chelsea have rejected £35m bids from Barcelona and Atletico Madrid for Willian, with the Mirror saying Lampard wants the Brazil international to stay.

  • Sanchez on track after injury, says Rueda Sanchez on track after injury, says Rueda

    Chile coach Reinaldo Rueda believes Alexis Sanchez is on the "right track" after the attacker scored in a 4-0 win over Japan on Monday.

    Sanchez scored for the first time since January in the two-time defending Copa America champions' victory in Sao Paulo.

    The Manchester United attacker was sidelined late during the Premier League season with a knee injury, but was on the scoresheet in his first appearance since early May.

    Rueda was pleased with what he saw from Sanchez, who netted just twice in 27 games for United in 2018-19.

    "He's on the right track. We wanted to reserve him for the next games, but he's recovered well," he told a news conference.

    Chile started their title defence in style as Eduardo Vargas netted a brace to go with goals from Erick Pulgar and Sanchez.

    Rueda was happy with his team, who moved top of Group C ahead of Uruguay.

    "Chile have very experienced players, they know each other very well, with a base of many years," he said.

    "The current champions usually make a bad debut, but we worked hard not to suffer with that."

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.