Sanchez, Matic named in Manchester United squad for Barcelona clash

By Sports Desk April 15, 2019

Alexis Sanchez and Nemanja Matic have been named in Manchester United's squad for the Champions League quarter-final second leg against Barcelona on Tuesday.

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's side travel to Camp Nou looking to overturn a 1-0 deficit from the opening encounter at Old Trafford last week.

Former Barca forward Sanchez has not played since injuring his knee against Southampton on March 2, while Matic's last outing was in a Premier League game against Watford on March 30.

Matteo Darmian could make his first appearance since January, having been included in Solskjaer's 22-man group.

Luke Shaw – whose own goal settled the first leg in Barca's favour – was also named despite the fact he is suspended after picking up a yellow card against LaLiga's reigning champions last week.

Related items

  • Suarez cool on Griezmann move Suarez cool on Griezmann move

    Luis Suarez added to the growing doubts over Antoine Griezmann's prospective move to Barcelona by declining to comment on the transfer reports, despite indicating he would back a swoop for Neymar.

    Griezmann was thought to be bound for Camp Nou after announcing his decision to leave Atletico Madrid, but Barcelona president Josep Maria Bartomeu claimed the Blaugrana have not spoken to the 28-year-old.

    When asked about the prospect of lining up alongside Griezmann in 2019-20, Suarez referred back to comments he made in December 2017 when he described the World Cup-winning forward as "an elite player", but stopped short of reiterating his support for a move.

    Suarez told RAC1: "What I have to say, as I said last year, is that he is a quality player.

    "But he is an Atletico player and I prefer not to comment on it."

    With reports linking Brazil talisman Neymar with a move back to Barcelona following a tumultuous second season at Paris Saint-Germain, Suarez indicated he would welcome him back with open arms, saying: "Who would not want to enjoy players like Ney?"

    Suarez will turn 33 in January and he said he accepts the club will be looking for goal-scorers who can pick up the mantle as his career enters its twilight years.

    "A Barca player has to be prepared for competition and the club bringing in a partner who can impersonate you in some moments. We all want to help the club," he added.

    "I do not say who to bring in or who not to bring in.

    "I took over last season and I assume that over the next few years the club has to bring a young player, a number nine, not only to compete with me but for the future of the club, because I also want what's good for the future of the club.

    "I assume my responsibility because I am 32 years old and I am going to be 33."

  • Sarri on the same level as Guardiola – Sacchi Sarri on the same level as Guardiola – Sacchi

    Newly appointed Juventus coach Maurizio Sarri is on the same level as Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola, according to Arrigo Sacchi.

    Sarri was confirmed as Juve boss on Sunday, leaving Chelsea after just one season in the Premier League.

    Reports suggested Guardiola was also a target for the Serie A champions, who sacked Massimiliano Allegri last month.

    Sacchi – who won two European Cups and a Serie A title at the helm of AC Milan in the 1980s and '90s – feels Sarri is one of the best tacticians in the world.

    "Sarri is of the same level as [Jurgen] Klopp, Guardiola, [Mauricio] Pochettino," he said on Monday.

    "They have the same vision of work."

    Guardiola has won two Premier League titles in three seasons at the helm of City, but his last Champions League success came with Barcelona in 2011.

    Sacchi played down suggestions Juve ever had a chance of bringing Guardiola to Turin.

    "He sent me a message. I heard that with Guardiola to Juve there was never anything," he said.

    "He is very happy where he is. This season he will try to win the Champions League."

  • Rumour Has It: Pogba race intensifies as Man United prepare bumper new contract Rumour Has It: Pogba race intensifies as Man United prepare bumper new contract

    The race for Paul Pogba appears well and truly on, but Manchester United will not let the midfielder go easily.

    The France international said on Sunday he would be interested in a "new challenge", casting fresh doubt over his future at Old Trafford.

    Real Madrid have continually been linked with Pogba, but it seems Paris Saint-Germain, and perhaps former club Juventus, could also be interested.

     

    TOP STORY – POGBA INTEREST INTENSIFIES

    Real Madrid indicated they are willing to pay £90million for Pogba despite United valuing the midfielder at £150m, according to The Sun.

    United are ready to do their all to keep Pogba, with the Daily Mail reporting they are set to offer him a bumper new contract worth close to £500,000 per week.

    This saga appears likely to take time to play out with Ligue 1 champions PSG also expressing an interest in Pogba, according to The Independent.

    ROUND-UP

    - Neymar appears more and more likely to leave PSG in the close season. Globo Esporte says talks are already underway for the Brazil international to return to Barcelona, who may pay €100m and send players, with Ivan Rakitic, Ousmane Dembele and Samuel Umtiti mentioned.

    - It seems Benfica sensation Joao Felix has decided where he will be next season. According to Record, the 19-year-old Portugal international was in Spain to sign with Atletico Madrid in a €120m move, a report Benfica denied. El Chiringuito later claimed to have spotted the attacker and agent Jorge Mendes leaving a Madrid restaurant.

    - Real Madrid look like they want to see Gareth Bale make an exit before next season. ABC says the LaLiga giants have lowered their asking price for the Wales international from €100m to €85m.

    - With Neymar and Antoine Griezmann potentially arriving, Philippe Coutinho's Barcelona future seems clouded. AS reports PSG have made contact with the player's camp, while he may return to the Premier League. However, Sky Sports News reports Coutinho is unwilling to join Manchester United out of respect to former club Liverpool, but The Sun says he would head to Chelsea, although the club's transfer ban is standing in the way of that move.

    - Now that Juventus have appointed Maurizio Sarri, the Serie A champions could make numerous additions. Tuttosport reported Juve vice-president Pavel Nedved met with agent Mino Raiola regarding Ajax captain Matthijs de Ligt – who is expected to join PSG – and Pogba.

    - A dream Chelsea return for Frank Lampard could be on the cards. The Sun reports the club great and Derby County manager is set for talks with owner Roman Abramovich over the position left vacant at Stamford Bridge by Sarri's departure. The same paper also reports Chelsea have rejected £35m bids from Barcelona and Atletico Madrid for Willian, with the Mirror saying Lampard wants the Brazil international to stay.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.