Muller: I'd miss on purpose if Bayern got a penalty like Fortuna's

By Sports Desk April 15, 2019

Thomas Muller says he would deliberately miss a penalty if Bayern Munich were awarded one like Fortuna Dusseldorf's in their Bundesliga clash on Sunday.

Bayern were 3-0 up thanks to a brace from Kingsley Coman and a Serge Gnabry strike when Mats Hummels was penalised for handball inside the area following a VAR review.

Substitute Dodi Lukebakio stroked home the resulting spot-kick in the 89th minute, but Muller insists he would have purposely missed had the Bavarian giants been awarded a penalty in the same circumstances.

"Of course, the ball clearly hits the hand. I don't know how the rest of Germany sees it, but as a striker I would not want a penalty like that for us. I would deliberately miss it," he told Sky.

Fortuna coach Friedhelm Funkel, however, disagreed with Muller's assessment.

He said: "We have had to accept a penalty for less, so it was a crystal-clear penalty for me, which of course does not change the deserved victory for Bayern Munich."

Leon Goretzka struck in stoppage time to seal a 4-1 win that lifted Bayern one point above Borussia Dortmund at the Bundesliga summit with five games remaining.

Muller admitted the reigning champions are feeling the pressure of such a close title race.

"We always have pressure and we have to deliver," he added. "It does not hurt us if we have a bit of pressure.

"This is how we have to go on. Dortmund are currently not brilliant, but they are delivering the results and that puts us under pressure.

"We have it in our own hands, so we have to play it game by game. We want to win all the remaining games."

Bayern confirmed on Sunday that Manuel Neuer, who limped off in the second half with another calf injury, will be out for two weeks and Mats Hummels will "take a short break from training" after straining his thigh.

Related items

  • Leroy Sane: No contact with Bayern Munich, says Pep Guardiola Leroy Sane: No contact with Bayern Munich, says Pep Guardiola

    Pep Guardiola remains hopeful winger Leroy Sane will stay at Manchester City and claims he has not spoken to anyone at Bayern Munich regarding the Germany international.

    Bayern are on the lookout for wide players to fill the sizeable void left by Franck Ribery and Arjen Robben with Sane top of their wishlist.

    Chairman Karl-Heinz Rummenigge and coach Niko Kovac have been vocal in their admiration of the 23-year-old with the former even suggesting the Bundesliga champions are "ready" to make a move should the player express a wish to leave the Etihad Stadium.

    Guardiola, speaking ahead of the Asia Trophy clash with Wolves, hinted at dissatisfaction with his former club's public pursuit and outlined his desire to keep Sane in the Premier League.

    He told reporters in Shanghai: "For a long time they talk about their interest, but Leroy is our player and hopefully he can stay next season and next season and next season."

    Pushed on if he had spoken to anyone at Bayern, Guardiola replied: "No."

    City have been relatively quiet in the transfer window so far, with the signing of defensive midfielder Rodri from Atletico Madrid their only major acquisition.

    Guardiola said: "We are so happy with the squad we have. I don't know if the players here will stay or if new players will come. But I am delighted with the players we have."

    City have been linked with Leicester City's Harry Maguire although it seems Manchester United now lead the race for the England international. Guardiola suggested central defence was an area he was considering strengthening but had options in his squad should a move not materialise.

    "There's a chance [of a defender coming in] but I don't know if it will be possible. We [already] have three incredible central defenders and Fernandinho can play in that position," he said.

  • Rumour Has It: Juventus to offer three players in move for Pogba Rumour Has It: Juventus to offer three players in move for Pogba

    Maybe Juventus are not ready to give up on signing Manchester United star Paul Pogba just yet.

    Pogba, 26, has been linked with a return to Turin and a move to Real Madrid as he looks for an Old Trafford exit.

    But, just as it looked like Juve were struggling and Madrid was the midfielder's most likely destination, that may have changed.

     

    TOP STORY – JUVE TO OFFER THREE PLAYERS IN MOVE FOR POGBA

    Juventus could offer a fee plus three players in their move for Manchester United star Pogba, according to Corriere dello Sport.

    Full-back Joao Cancelo, attacker Douglas Costa and midfielder Blaise Matuidi are the players mentioned for potential moves in the report.

    Meanwhile, ESPN FC report Real Madrid president Florentino Perez has told coach Zinedine Zidane that it will be very difficult to sign Pogba this close season.

     

    ROUND-UP

    - Barcelona are still trying to find a way to bring Neymar back to Camp Nou from Paris Saint-Germain. According to Sky Germany, Barca are offering €100million plus two players, having given PSG a list of six that includes Philippe Coutinho, Ousmane Dembele, Ivan Rakitic, Nelson Semedo and Malcom. That is up from the earlier offer of €40m plus two players. According to Sport, Barca have made Coutinho and Rakitic priorities to be sold.

    - After being linked to Bayern Munich, Callum Hudson-Odoi is set to re-sign with Chelsea. The Daily Mail report the 18-year-old England international will sign a five-year deal worth more than £100,000 per week to stay at Stamford Bridge.

    - Giovani Lo Celso apparently wants to join Tottenham, but Spurs are unwilling to meet Real Betis' £60m (€66.8m) asking price, according to The Sun, who say Erik Lamela could be added into a deal. Danny Rose could also reportedly leave Spurs and Sky Sports say PSG are interested in the left-back.

    - Arsenal have beaten their north London rivals to the signing of Saint-Etienne defender William Saliba, according to ESPN FC. Arsenal will complete the signing of Saliba for £26.9m (€30m) and loan him back to the Ligue 1 club despite late interest from Spurs, the report says.

    - Another reported Arsenal target, Wilfried Zaha, has told Crystal Palace he wants to leave, according to The Sun. Arsenal have reportedly had a £40m bid for the attacker rejected.

    - Bayern Munich are ready to meet Celta Vigo midfielder Brais Mendez's €25m release clause, according to Kicker. Mendez, 22, was handed a Spain debut late last year and scored six goals while providing seven assists for Celta in LaLiga in 2018-19.

  • Dominica's 1-1 draw with Jamaica not surprising - Lance Whittaker Dominica's 1-1 draw with Jamaica not surprising - Lance Whittaker

    Jamaica drew with Dominica and Lance Whittaker believes the home team are in trouble with talented 'smaller' nations.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.