Neuer out for two weeks in double Bayern injury blow

By Sports Desk April 14, 2019

Manuel Neuer will miss around two weeks after reinjuring his calf in Bayern Munich's win at Fortuna Dusseldorf, the club have confirmed.

The goalkeeper aggravated an existing issue when he slipped while attempting a pass in the second half at Merkur Spiel-Arena.

The same problem kept Bayern's captain out of recent matches against Freiburg and Heidenheim and he is now in doubt for at least two of the club's final five Bundesliga fixtures.

Niko Kovac's men, a point clear at the top, host Werder Bremen and visit Nurnberg in the next fortnight, with a DFB-Pokal encounter against Werder in between.

Mats Hummels is also under a fitness cloud after straining his thigh in the late stages of Sunday's 4-1 success.

Bayern announced the centre-back will take a "short break from training" as they seek to stay on track for a seventh straight title.

Kingsley Coman's double and one apiece from Serge Gnabry and Leon Goretzka earlier lifted the champions to a convincing away win.

Head coach Kovac commended his team's conviction in building on last weekend's 5-0 thumping of second-placed Borussia Dortmund.

"We were serious over 90 minutes, we didn't allow many chances, it was the right margin of victory," he said.

"The team did a very good job. We're Bundesliga leaders again, and we don't want to give it away."

Related items

  • Jamaica Football Federation doles out US$300,000 for Reggae Girlz contracts Jamaica Football Federation doles out US$300,000 for Reggae Girlz contracts
  • Jamaica's Professional Football Association to be dissolved Jamaica's Professional Football Association to be dissolved

    The decision by the Jamaica Football Federation and the Premier League Clubs Association to dissolve the Professional Football Association of Jamaica was the result over consultations with representatives of CONCACAF that began more than a year ago.

  • Varane vows to stay at Real Madrid for next season Varane vows to stay at Real Madrid for next season

    Raphael Varane has ended speculation over his future after insisting he will still be at Real Madrid next season.

    Varane, 26, had been linked to the likes of Manchester United and Juventus after eight seasons with the LaLiga giants.

    Like many of his team-mates, the France international has endured a difficult 2018-19, which resulted in Los Blancos finishing third in the table – a whopping 19 points behind champions Barcelona.

    Varane, though, is adamant that he will remain at the Santiago Bernabeu as Zinedine Zidane looks to reverse the club's faltering fortunes.

    "I'm going to stay here next year; I'm sure we're going to relive strong emotions,” Varane told Marca.

    "We have fought, we have tried hard and we cannot blame anything in particular but it is true that we missed that spark in the difficult moments.

    "In football you have cycles and last season I was not at my best level, but we will see the best Varane again.

    "We have to evolve and Zinedine Zidane is clear about it: we have to rebuild, and we have to change things."

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.