Nobody is indispensable - Nainggolan issues Icardi warning

By Sports Desk April 13, 2019

Radja Nainggolan has criticised Mauro Icardi for his recent absence from the Inter side, claiming his team-mates paid the price for an off-field dispute.

Icardi was out of action for almost two months after being stripped of the Nerazzurri captaincy in February, with agent and wife Wanda Nara reportedly angering club officials with comments she made about the team before insisting her husband, sat in the stands, was available to play.

The Argentina forward finally returned with a goal and an assist at Genoa last week to boost Inter's hopes of Champions League qualification.

While Nainggolan is glad to have Icardi back, he does not believe the issues between himself and his wife and the club should have been allowed to impact the team.

"Every player in a team is important, but nobody is indispensable," Nainggolan told Corriere dello Sport.

"Mauro is a great player, but we have another forward in Lautaro Martinez who did very well when given the chance and who is destined for the top.

"Too much has been said. If Mauro had problems with someone, it should have been up to him to resolve them and not let those issues damage the rest of the team.

"Enough now, he is training and available, just like everyone else. If he continues like this and scores goals, he is an important player to have.

"I told him what I thought, which was that, if he had problems that he needed to resolve with someone, the whole group could not be made to pay for it with his absence.

"[Coach Luciano] Spalletti put the focus on the group. A coach must be credible in the eyes of his players and Spalletti tried to deal with the situation as best he could by doing what he had to do."

Inter face Frosinone on Sunday and then, next week, Nainggolan will come up against former club Roma.

And the midfielder reserved some criticism for Monchi, the Sevilla sporting director who played a part in Nainggolan's departure during a largely unsuccessful spell in Rome.

"I had an open relationship with Monchi," he said. "He often brought together six or seven of the top players and we all talked about how to do the best for the club and the team.

"I felt like an important player. Then, however, I learned of the things he said about me.

"Three days after he left Roma, the team he claimed to be in love with, he agreed to return to Seville. For me, this shows many things.

"Without him, hypothetically, I could still have been at Roma - or even with another team because maybe they wanted to send me elsewhere. I chose Inter because Spalletti pushed for me and it was the right decision."

Related items

  • Schoolboy football players struck by lightning 'past the worst' claims ISSA president Wellington Schoolboy football players struck by lightning 'past the worst' claims ISSA president Wellington

    Schoolboy football players that were affected by a lightning strike during a Manning Cup match on Monday are reportedly recovering with very little ill effects.

    The match between urban area schoolboy football teams Jamaica College and Wolmer’s was called off after several players suffered injuries when lightning struck the field at Stadium East. 

    Two players, JC’s Terrence Francis and Dwayne Allen of Wolmer’s were taken to the hospital following the incident, with another player later admitted after suffering from chest pains.  According to ISSA president Keith Wellington, none of the players seems to have suffered significant injury and are on the improve.

     “Thankfully they have shown significant improvement.  The Wolmer’s young man was treated and released.  One young man when he initially went to the hospital wasn’t speaking or walking but eventually, he came around and he has been moving and speaking,” Wellington said in an interview on the Sportsmax Zone.

    “All the tests that have been done ECG, CT scans have come back with good results.  I think the major issue now is that that the flash seems to have affected their eyes so the ophthalmologists will examine them.  It appears as though they have passed the worst.”

     

     

     

  • Penalty miss not the end of the world, says Chelsea's Barkley Penalty miss not the end of the world, says Chelsea's Barkley

    Ross Barkley said his penalty miss in Chelsea's 1-0 defeat to Valencia would not have kept him from taking another spot-kick because he swiftly brushed off the disappointment.

    Frank Lampard's men fell behind to Rodrigo Moreno's 74th-minute strike in the Champions League clash at Stamford Bridge on Tuesday, and the Blues boss sent Barkley on as a substitute six minutes later.

    The England international had been on the field for just seven minutes when his side won a penalty and he stepped up despite Willian and Jorginho both appearing to stake their claims to take it.

    Barkley's spot-kick grazed the top of the crossbar on its way over and Chelsea began their European campaign with a defeat, but the midfielder told reporters: "If there was another penalty in the game I would have been confident of taking it.

    "You can miss penalties. It's not the end of the world.

    "We've got five more group games to go that we're aiming to win."

    While backing himself to convert penalties in the future, Barkley said his team-mates were not vying to take the kick before he stepped up.

    "We've got a lot of good penalty takers in the squad," said Barkley. "On a sheet in the changing room, it says I'm on penalties when I'm on the pitch, otherwise it's Jorginho.

    "All players feel confident of taking penalties, but we can all miss them. It's more 'good luck with the penalty' type of thing, encouraging me. They would have been willing to take it as well, but I felt confident.

    "They were just encouraging me, encouraging me to score the goal. They are confident of taking penalties as well, but I take penalties every day.

    "I don't miss them in training and in pre-season I was scoring penalties. I've missed penalties before, when I was at Everton.

    "I'm gutted I missed, but these things happen."

  • LFP suspends Coupe de la Ligue from next season LFP suspends Coupe de la Ligue from next season

    The Coupe de la Ligue will cease to run from next season after French football authorities opted to suspend the tournament indefinitely.

    The move is designed to provide players with a less taxing competitive schedule, according to the Ligue de Football Professionnel (LFP).

    Unlike the Coupe de France, the country's most prestigious knockout competition, the Coupe de la Ligue is open only to professional clubs, most of which compete in Ligue 1 and Ligue 2.

    It has existed in its current form since 1994 but will not continue beyond this season's final, to be held on April 4.

    An LFP statement read: "Meeting on September 18, the Board of Directors and the General Assembly of the LFP decided to suspend the organisation of the Coupe de la Ligue at the end of the 2019-2020 edition.

    "Depending on the market conditions, the LFP reserves the right to restart this competition later.

    "This decision will lighten the competition schedule, give players more recovery time and offer an additional place in European competitions via the Ligue 1 classification at the end of the 2020-2021 season."

    At present, the winner of the Coupe de la Ligue is eligible for a spot in the Europa League qualifying rounds.

    Paris Saint-Germain won the competition for five straight years before Strasbourg ended their stranglehold by beating Guingamp in last season's final.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.