EPL

Hennessey found 'not proven' to have made Nazi salute

By Sports Desk April 05, 2019

Crystal Palace goalkeeper Wayne Hennessey will not face punishment over a social media post in which he made an alleged Nazi salute, the Football Association (FA) has announced.

Wales international Hennessey denied making the gesture in a photograph on Instagram posted by his German team-mate Max Meyer in January.  

The FA said a breach of disciplinary rules had been "found not proven" by an independent regulatory commission.

In a statement on the Palace website, Hennessey said: "I'm delighted that the FA have found me not guilty of this charge. This was a genuinely innocent moment, which appeared to be something completely different when captured on camera.

"I want to state for the record that I abhor all forms of racism, fascism, antisemitism or discrimination of any kind."

Related items

  • 2019 Africa Cup of Nations: Fit and firing Salah carries hopes of hosts Egypt 2019 Africa Cup of Nations: Fit and firing Salah carries hopes of hosts Egypt

    Ahead of Liverpool's Champions League final victory over Tottenham, Mohamed Salah glanced at a photograph to draw up pain and fuel his already burning desire

    "I looked at the picture from last year before the game," he said, referring to the Reds' 2018 defeat to Real Madrid in Kiev, where a controversial tangle with Sergio Ramos left Salah stricken inside half an hour.

    "I was very disappointed that I got injured and went off and we lost the game. It was something to motivate me to win. I just looked at it one time and said, 'Okay, let's go'."

    Moments later, the back-to-back Premier League Golden Boot winner was dispatching an early penalty and sending Liverpool on their way to a sixth triumph in Europe's top competition.

    The bad news for Egypt's rivals at the 2019 Africa Cup of Nations, as Salah looks to add to another history of success, is the same stinging motivation remains.

    Still feeling the effects of his shoulder injury, Salah was a shadow of the attacker that ransacked the best defences in Europe at the World Cup in Russia last year. He still scored twice but the Pharaohs bowed out at the group stage after three straight defeats.

    Hector Cuper paid with his job and experienced Mexican head coach Javier Aguirre has since led Egypt to six wins and a draw from his eight matches at the helm, with 20 goals in that time.

    A settled and experienced squad featuring the likes of captain Ahmed Elmohamady, Ahmed Hegazi and Mohamed Elneny provide a solid foundation for Salah's brilliance, and the tournament hosts are worthy of their favourites' tag as they line up in Group A alongside DR Congo, Uganda and Zimbabwe – their opponents in Friday's tournament opener.

    Cameroon beat Egypt in the 2017 final but their build-up has not been ideal.

    Stripped of the hosting rights, head coach Clarence Seedorf's initial decision to snub China-based players led to Benjamin Moukandjo's international retirement amid an unconvincing qualification campaign. 

    They line up in a tricky Group F with Benin, Guinea-Bissau and fellow heavyweights Ghana.

    As such, former Indomitable Lions defender Lauren believes another nation with a strong recent pedigree in the tournament could prove Egypt's toughest obstacle in pursuit of an eighth continental crown.

    "Egypt are one of the favourites but I would go for Nigeria," he told Omnisport. "I saw Nigeria in the World Cup, a very young team with a lot of quality and a young squad.

    "We will see them progress and they are one of the favourites together with Egypt, Cameroon and Senegal."

    Since being denied a knockout place by Argentina in heart-breaking fashion in Russia, Nigeria have not always found consistency under Gernot Rohr but are the only side to have beaten Egypt during the intervening period.

    Wilfred Ndidi and John Obi Mikel provide prowess and experience in midfield, while a favourable Group B draw alongside Guinea, Madagascar and Burundi should give Ahmed Musa and his attacking colleagues a chance to find their groove.

    Group D looks devilishly tough on paper, with two-time winner Herve Renard leading a stylish Morocco boasting Ajax star Hakim Ziyech. A run of three consecutive defeats heading into the tournament has dampened expectations – a slump they must halt in the opener against Namibia with Ivory Coast and South Africa lying in wait.

    A North African staging could work in favour of Tunisia – top seeds in Group E where they face Mali, Mauritania and Angola, as well as benefiting Algeria.

    Djamel Belmadi's Desert Foxes are unbeaten in six and play Kenya and Tanzania either side of a mouth-watering Group C showdown with Senegal, whose hopes rest on the defensive might of Napoli's Kalidou Koulibaly and the effervescent Sadio Mane in attack.

    Nevertheless, most eyes will remain trained on another brilliant Liverpool forward and his bid fully right the wrongs of 12 months ago.

  • Rumour Has It: Neymar looks for house in Barcelona, PSG want Casemiro in possible Madrid deal Rumour Has It: Neymar looks for house in Barcelona, PSG want Casemiro in possible Madrid deal

    Neymar's expected exit from Paris Saint-Germain seems to be gathering speed.

    Neymar, 27, is set to leave the Ligue 1 champions, with a return to LaLiga – either with former club Barcelona or Real Madrid – appearing likely.

    PSG president Nasser Al-Khelaifi said he no longer wanted "superstar behaviour" and Neymar looks set to depart the Parc des Princes.

     

    TOP STORY – NEYMAR SET FOR LALIGA RETURN

    A return to Barcelona, where he spent four seasons before joining PSG, seems the most likely for Neymar.

    According to television channel Gol, the Brazilian is already looking for a house in Barcelona, and he wants the same home he occupied during his first stint at the club.

    However, the star forward has long been linked with a move to Real Madrid. Marca report PSG may want Casemiro in a possible deal for Neymar.

    Mundo Deportivo report Neymar recently told Al-Khelaifi: "I don't want to play anymore at PSG. I want to go back to my house [Barcelona], where I should never have left."

    ROUND-UP

    - Paul Pogba may want a "new challenge" away from Manchester United, but he is set to get a nice bonus beforehand. The Sun report Pogba is due to receive a £3.78million loyalty bonus from United at the start of July. While the midfielder is linked with Real Madrid, Gianluca Di Marzio reports there are still talks for Pogba to return to Juventus.

    - Real Madrid still seem keen to land Tottenham star Christian Eriksen. The Daily Mail report Madrid are set to offer Spurs £45m plus midfielder Dani Ceballos for the Denmark playmaker.

    - Matthijs de Ligt appears to be getting closer to a decision over his future. The Ajax captain has told Barcelona he will not be joining them, according to Cadena SER.

    - Manchester United's hopes of keeping David de Gea have received a boost. The Sun report PSG, long linked with the goalkeeper, have instead turned their attentions to AC Milan shot-stopper Gianluigi Donnarumma.

    - Staying at Old Trafford, Romelu Lukaku will not force a Manchester United exit despite being linked with a move, according to the Mirror. There has been plenty of talk around United, with The Sun reporting the club offered Phil Jones in a deal to sign West Ham defender Issa Diop, but the Hammers want Anthony Martial. Meanwhile, Gianluca Di Marzio reports United are also showing an interest in Napoli right-back Elseid Hysaj.

    - Manchester City appear set to strengthen with the signing of Atletico Madrid midfielder Rodri. Goal report Rodri has decided to leave Atletico and join City, who are set to pay his €70m buy-out clause.

  • Scaloni: Argentina's Copa America campaign hasn't started yet Scaloni: Argentina's Copa America campaign hasn't started yet

    Lionel Scaloni said it was like Argentina's Copa America campaign had not yet started as his side look to bounce back against Paraguay on Wednesday.

    Argentina slumped to a disappointing 2-0 loss to Colombia in their opening game, leaving them bottom of Group B and in danger of an early exit.

    Scaloni said his players had taken the defeat as expected and he is anticipating a response in Belo Horizonte.

    "The Copa for us is like it has not started yet. The group is doing well, assimilating the defeat as it should," he told a news conference.

    "We would have liked to have started in another way, but the players are clear that there are two games to play."

    Scaloni was unwilling to name his starting XI on Tuesday, but there were elements of his side's performance against Colombia he was pleased with.

    The former Argentina international hopes to see his team become more consistent over 90 minutes when they face Paraguay, who drew 2-2 with Qatar in their first outing.

    "Most winning teams haven't dominated as we did in those 30 minutes with Colombia," Scaloni said.

    "If we had scored, our situation would be different. Unfortunately, we didn't score and paid for it."

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.