Perth Glory's Kilkenny applauds coach Popovic after 2-0 win over Adelaide United

By Sports Desk March 15, 2019

Perth Glory midfielder Neil Kilkenny saluted coach Tony Popovic after a 2-0 win over hosts Adelaide United on Friday extended their lead at the A-League summit to nine points.

United went into the game without a win in their previous four league games, making Glory comfortable favourites.

They broke the deadlock 35 minutes in, but needed more than a hint of fortune, as Diego Castro's effort took a hefty deflection to leave Paul Izzo in the United goal completely dumbfounded.

Eventually they got a second 20 minutes from the end, as Andy Keogh netted his 13th goal of the season with a composed finish into the bottom-right corner from 20 yards.

The Glory look destined to top the table after the regular season and Kilkenny paid tribute to the work of coach Popovic.

"I'm a winner and that's why I enjoy working with this manager," he told FOX Sports.

"He's come in and he demands the very top every day, which I do as a player. He's helped me, as well as lots of the other lads and we're reaping the rewards.

"Every day we train, he drums into us what he wants. He's very, very demanding of the group and of individuals, as I am as a player.

"He does it for me now and helps me out and the lads have responded well. It's fantastic to see. We're top of the league and hopefully we can stay there."

Related items

  • Rudan to lead A-League newcomers Western United Rudan to lead A-League newcomers Western United

    A-League newcomers Western United have appointed Mark Rudan as head coach ahead of their inaugural season.

    Former Wellington Phoenix boss Rudan will lead Western United, who are set to enter the Australian competition as the 11th team in 2019-20.

    Rudan enjoyed a successful debut season in charge of Wellington – guiding the Phoenix to a sixth-place finish and their first Finals appearance since 2014-15.

    "It's an opportunity that couldn't be passed up," Rudan, 43, said following Thursday's announcement.

    "To have a blank piece of paper to create what you want ... there's going to be some bumps on the way but I'm more than confident we'll see those through."

    Western United have already signed former Australia international and Celtic striker Scott McDonald, 28-time Greece international Panagiotis Kone, ex-Besiktas defender Ersan Gulum and Sebastian Pasquali – who will arrive from Ajax's youth team.

    Earlier on Thursday, Adelaide United announced former Feyenoord boss Gertjan Verbeek as their new coach.

    Verbeek – who spent a year in charge of Eredivisie giants Feyenoord before stints with AZ, Nurnberg, Bochum and FC Twente – replaces Marco Kurz on a two-year deal.

    "I am very excited to be joining Adelaide United and cannot wait for this incredible opportunity to begin," the 56-year-old Dutchman said. "I have followed Australian football for a while now and have admired the work ethic and passion Aussies have for the game. 

    "I am coming to South Australia to improve the quality of football and establish a hungry and competitive team. I can promise the Adelaide United fans that our team will be incredibly hard-working and hope to entertain you all with some high-quality football.

    "As I said, I am very excited for this journey and my family and I are very eager for it all to start."

  • Jamaica names 22 of 23 players in Reggae Girlz World Cup squad Jamaica names 22 of 23 players in Reggae Girlz World Cup squad

    Jamaica on Wednesday named a 22-player squad that will campaign in the 2019 FIFA Women’s World Cup that set to kick off on June 7 and conclude on July 7 in France. A 23rd player is to be named by Friday, May 24.

    There are a couple of new faces in the squad including Kayla McCoy, the former Duke University forward and Olufolasade Adamolekun, who played in an exhibition game against Nottingham Forest in late 2018. However, the majority of the players who competed at the CONCACAF Women’s Championships in October 2018, have retained their places.

    The squad was named less than 72 hours after the Reggae Girlz defeated Panama 3-1 before a crowd of about 10,000 at the National Stadium in Kingston on Sunday, May 19. The Reggae Girlz have not lost a match since they qualified for the World Cup in October 2018 after defeating Panama 4-2 on penalties. The teams were deadlocked at 2-2 after regulation and extra time at the Toyota Stadium in Texas.

    Since then, Jamaica defeated Chile 1-0 and 3-2 in Jamaica, drew 1-1 with South Africa and Sunday’s comprehensive victory.

    In light of the progress shown by the team under the coaching staff of Hue Menzies, Lorne Donaldson and Andrew Price, Jamaica Football Federation President Michael Ricketts said he was confident in the squad selected.

    “The JFF is extremely proud of the achievement of the Girlz who are a true representation of what makes us Jamaicans. We are also proud of the coaching and other supporting staff who together make a fantastic unit,” Ricketts said after the squad was announced.

    “Based on the makeup, capabilities and ambassadorial spirit of the players and staff, the Federation is absolutely confident that the country will be represented with pride.

    “We must also point out that none of this would have happened without the commitment and sacrifice of those Girlz, who battled for us in the qualifiers but will not be a part of the group for France, we express sincere thanks to those Girlz also.”

    The JFF president also paid tribute to the sponsors who have come on board with the JFF to make the trip to France possible.

    “The JFF expresses thanks to our loyal sponsors, football fans, the government and the media for the outpouring of support,” said Ricketts, who also had a special word for the young female footballers who are inspired by this achievement and the pioneers who started the movement in the country.

    The 22-member squad includes: Allyson Swaby, Ashleigh Shim, Chinyelu Asher, Chantal Hudson-Marks, Deniesha Blackwood, Dominique Bond-Flasza, Khadija Shaw, Lauren Silver, Marlo Sweatman, Nicole McClure, Sashana Campbell, Konya Plummer, Toriana Patterson, Trudi Carter, Yazmeen Jamieson, Chantel Swaby, Kayla McCoy, Chenya Matthews, Tiffany Cameron, Jody Brown, Sydney Schneider and Olufolasade Adamolekun.

  • FIFA abandons plans for 48-team World Cup in Qatar FIFA abandons plans for 48-team World Cup in Qatar

    FIFA has abandoned plans to increase the number of teams at the 2022 World Cup in Qatar to 48.

    World football's governing body said there was insufficient time to consider the proposed expansion of the tournament due to logistical concerns.

    A plan backed by president Gianni Infantino had been put forward that would have seen some of Qatar's Gulf neighbours stage some of the extra matches, having conceded it would be "difficult" to host all such games in Qatar alone.

    However, in a statement released on Wednesday, FIFA confirmed it would need more time to consider all possible requirements of an expanded tournament, with a deadline on the decision set for next month.

    It therefore says the 2022 finals will consist of 32 teams, as originally planned.

    "In line with the conclusions of the feasibility study approved by the FIFA Council at its last meeting, FIFA and Qatar have jointly explored all possibilities to increase the number of participant teams from 32 to 48 teams by involving neighbouring countries at the FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022," the statement said.

    "Following a thorough and comprehensive consultation process with the involvement of all the relevant stakeholders, it was concluded that under the current circumstances such a proposal could not be made now.

    "Additionally, FIFA and Qatar have once again explored the feasibility of Qatar hosting a 48-team tournament by in particular lowering certain key FIFA requirements.

    "A joint analysis, in this respect, concluded that due to the advanced stage of preparations and the need for a detailed assessment of the potential logistical impact on the host country, more time would be required and a decision could not be taken before the deadline of June.

    "It was therefore decided not to further pursue this option.

    "The FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022 will therefore remain as originally planned with 32 teams and no proposal will be submitted at the next FIFA Congress on 5 June."

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.