Low announces new-look Germany squad after axing Bayern Munich trio

By Sports Desk March 15, 2019

Joachim Low has called up three new players in his first Germany squad since controversially axing senior trio Thomas Muller, Mats Hummels and Jerome Boateng.

Low confirmed last week that the World Cup-winning trio will not be part of his plans for their Euro 2020 qualifying campaign, which starts against Netherlands on March 24, four days after a friendly with Serbia.

Low has instead turned to RB Leipzig defender Lukas Klostermann, Hertha Berlin midfielder Niklas Stark and Werder Bremen's exciting forward Maximilian Eggestein as he looks to reverse Die Mannschaft's fortunes after a calamitous World Cup campaign in Russia last year.

Muller, Hummels and Boateng have all expressed disappointment with the communication surrounding the decision to drop them from the squad and Low says he understands their frustrations.

"I understand that the players are incredibly disappointed," he told a media conference.

"I told them that I would be planning without them for the European Championships qualification and I wanted to be honest."

Barcelona goalkeeper Marc-Andre ter Stegen and Manchester City's Ilkay Gundogan have been recalled after missing the squad for November's Nations League meeting with Netherlands and friendly against Russia.

There is no place, however, for Jonas Hector, Julian Draxler, Sebastian Rudy and Mark Uth, who were all included in the initial squad for their last fixtures.

Germany squad in full: Manuel Neuer (Bayern Munich), Marc-Andre ter Stegen (Barcelona) Kevin Trapp (Eintracht Frankfurt - on loan from Paris Saint-Germain); Matthias Ginter (Borussia Monchengladbach), Thilo Kehrer (Paris Saint-Germain), Antonio Rudiger (Chelsea), Nico Schulz (Hoffenheim), Niklas Sule (Bayern Munich), Jonathan Tah (Bayer Leverkusen), Marcel Halstenberg (RB Leipzig), Lukas Klostermann (RB Leipzig), Niklas Stark (Hertha Berlin); Julian Brandt (Bayer Leverkusen), Leon Goretzka (Bayern Munich), Kai Havertz (Bayer Leverkusen), Joshua Kimmich (Bayern Munich), Ilkay Gundogan (Manchester City), Serge Gnabry (Bayern Munich), Toni Kroos (Real Madrid), Marco Reus (Borussia Dortmund), Leroy Sane (Manchester City); Timo Werner (RB Leipzig), Maximilian Eggestein (Werder Bremen).

Related items

  • No offers yet for Jovic, insist Frankfurt No offers yet for Jovic, insist Frankfurt

    Eintracht Frankfurt are yet to receive an offer for striker Luka Jovic, according to a senior club official.

    Barcelona are reportedly readying a €50million bid for the Serbia international, who scored his side's goal in the 1-1 friendly draw with Germany this week.

    Manchester City have also been linked with Jovic, who has scored 15 goals in only 18 Bundesliga starts in 2018-19.

    However, Frankfurt's supervisory board chairman Wolfgang Steubing says they have not yet received any offer for the prized 21-year-old.

    "The numbers that are rampant across social media are not yet on our table," said Steubing at a panel discussion in Frankfurt.

    "There is definitely no offer. But maybe that will happen."

    Jovic is on loan at Frankfurt from Benfica, but the Bundesliga club have the option to sign the player outright for a reported €7m fee.

    Barca are favourites to secure his signature as they seek a long-term successor to Luis Suarez.

  • Jamaica Olympic Association covers salaries for OIympic football coaches Jamaica Olympic Association covers salaries for OIympic football coaches

    The Jamaica Olympic Association (JOA) on Tuesday presented the Jamaica Football Federation (JFF) with a cheque for JMD$3.5million that will cover the salaries of the coaches of the men’s national Under-23 football team - Donovan Duckie and Merron Gordon.

  • O'Neill wants more goal threat from Northern Ireland O'Neill wants more goal threat from Northern Ireland

    Michael O'Neill wants Northern Ireland to be more 'polished' in the final third after his side beat Estonia 2-0 in their first Euro 2020 qualifier.

    Niall McGinn's strike and a Steven Davis penalty earned Northern Ireland three points in their Group C opener on Thursday, as they claimed a first competitive victory in nine matches.

    Profligacy frustrated Northern Ireland throughout their UEFA Nations League campaign, and Paddy McNair missed two gilt-edged chances to make the win more comfortable, with only a fine save from Bailey Peacock-Farrell keeping the hosts ahead before Davis made sure of the points.

    And O'Neill, who was impressed by his side's patience, acknowledged that Northern Ireland must be more clinical if they are to qualify from a group that also includes heavyweights Germany and Netherlands.

    "Delighted with the result. It wasn't going to be a straight-forward game, and we didn't score early – Paddy had a great chance and he knows he should score," O'Neill told reporters.

    "Once you get the opening goal it takes a bit of the tension out of it and the team can start to relax a little bit, and because we didn't manage to get that in the first half Estonia had a bit of belief.

    "Second half I think we played very well, created opportunities, scored a good goal and deserved the penalty as well.

    "It was very important [to be patient]. It's difficult having chances and not taking them – subconsciously you think something might go the other way.

    "But we know as a team we need to improve at times in the final third. The final ball at times, there were some great balls but we didn’t seem to get anything on those. We need to be more polished in the final third.

    "We just need to threaten more in behind, at times the combination between full-back and winger as well and the final combination and finish needs to be more polished."

    Northern Ireland face Belarus in their next Euro 2020 qualifier on Sunday, before taking on both Estonia and Belarus once more in June.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.