Kovac defends tactics after Lewandowski criticism

By Sports Desk March 15, 2019

Niko Kovac has defended his tactics in Bayern Munich's Champions League defeat to Liverpool after criticism from Robert Lewandowski.

Bayern left Anfield last month with what was widely regarded as a commendable 0-0 draw, but they were second best in Wednesday's return leg in Munich, losing 3-1 to Jurgen Klopp's side.

An angry Lewandowski was left with little doubt that the team's tactics were to blame, saying: "I think we played too deep, didn't want to make too many risks, and I don't know why."

Kovac disagrees with Lewandowski's assessment, however, and believes that Bayern were simply beaten by the better team.

"The approach was exactly the same as against Wolfsburg or Borussia Monchengladbach [games they won resoundingly] so I cannot agree with the criticism," he told a media conference ahead of Bayern's Bundesliga clash with Mainz on Sunday.

"We played against a better opponent who deserved to win.

"We did not get the support he [Lewandowski] needs. We played against the best defence in the Premier League.

"We can only be as good as the opponent allows and if you have few balls as a striker, disappointment is normal."

A run of 12 wins in their last 13 league games has lifted Bayern above Borussia Dortmund on goal difference at the Bundesliga summit and Kovac does not believe Wednesday's disappointment will derail their bid for a seventh consecutive title.

"We're doing well in both competitions [Bundesliga and DFB-Pokal] and we've made up 10 points," he added. "They are all professionals and they have the quality to turn the disappointment into victories.

"I expect a difficult game. Mainz is an uncomfortable team, but my team has shown that they keep coming back.

"We have to break their resistance and win the game so the players can relax and go to their national teams."

Related items

  • Sanches ready to stay at Bayern as Boateng returns to Munich Sanches ready to stay at Bayern as Boateng returns to Munich

    Renato Sanches is content to adhere to Niko Kovac's instruction by remaining at Bayern Munich, so long as he gets opportunities to play.

    Restricted to four Bundesliga starts last season, midfielder Sanches boosted his case for first-team opportunities with a strong showing in the 3-1 victory over Real Madrid in the International Champions Cup (ICC).

    The Portugal international helped Bayern established superiority during the opening 45 minutes and could take on a more prominent role following the end of James Rodriguez's two-season loan deal.

    Speaking ahead of the Madrid match, Kovac confirmed the club had told Sanches to forget about finding new employers, advice that has been heeded by the player.

    "I'm ready to stay," Sanches told Bild.

    "I had good talks with the coach and [club chairman Karl-Heinz Rummenigge]. I think I will stay. Kovac is the boss, he makes the decisions.

    "As long as I play, I'm happy."

    Bayern have one final ICC fixture to come against AC Milan, though Jerome Boateng will not be involved as he returns to Munich for personal reasons.

    The centre-back, another player that seemed headed for the exit towards the end of the 2018-19 season, impressed against LaLiga giants Madrid, keeping Eden Hazard and company goalless until the 84th minute.

    Club captain Manuel Neuer welcomed the increasing likelihood of Boateng and Sanches staying in Bavaria.

    "We all played well today, Renato as well as Jerome," goalkeeper Neuer said after seeing off Los Blancos in Houston.

    "We know what these players are capable of and we're of course happy if they stay."

  • Arsenal boss Emery wants 'three or four' new signings Arsenal boss Emery wants 'three or four' new signings

    Arsenal head coach Unai Emery said he wants to sign "three or four players" ahead of the 2019-20 Premier League season.

    It has been a quiet transfer window so far for Arsenal, who have been linked with moves for Celtic left-back Kieran Tierney, Saint-Etienne teenager William Saliba, Real Madrid's Dani Ceballos and Crystal Palace star Wilfried Zaha.

    However, Arsenal are reportedly close to signing Saliba in a deal which would see the 18-year-old loaned back to Saint-Etienne until the end of the season.

    Speaking to reporters following Arsenal's 3-0 win over Fiorentina at the International Champions Cup on Saturday, Emery said: "I am patient because we want to choose the best solution.

    "Some players are very expensive and we are waiting for this possibility because we don't want now to go to the second line of players. We are waiting and really we have very good young players.

    "We are aware we also need to improve some areas in this squad. But I only want to sign three or four players only if we can be sure they are coming to improve our squad.

    "There are a lot of names and the club is working. Edu is very close to me every day and also with the Kroenke family.

    "I want to send a message to all our supporters that we want to [build] the best squad possible."

    While Arsenal try to sign players, Eddie Nketiah has impressed on the United States tour and the 20-year-old continued his fine form against Fiorentina in Charlotte.

    After scoring a late winner against Bayern Munich on Wednesday, Nketiah netted a brace to lead Arsenal past Fiorentina in North Carolina.

    Asked if Nketiah will remain at Arsenal instead of being loaned out, Emery said: "I spoke with him and with the club. He has started with a doubt if it is better for him to stay here with us or leave to play more minutes with another team.

    "But we have examples last year of some players who wanted to go away and didn’t play all we wanted. I said to him to first be focused here. If you earn the right to be with us it’s because I can promise you that you are going to have minutes. But in those minutes you need to learn.

    "And in the pre-season at the moment he’s playing like we want. The young players who are here, this is the moment for them to show how we can use them to help us in the season."

  • Maguire not affected by United and City speculation – Morgan Maguire not affected by United and City speculation – Morgan

    Leicester City star Harry Maguire has not been affected by links to Manchester United and Manchester City, insisted captain Wes Morgan.

    Maguire has emerged as a target for Manchester neighbours United and City, with the Red Devils reportedly the favourites to sign the England centre-back.

    Leicester have rejected two bids for Maguire, who is thought to be valued at £80million by the Premier League side, as the 26-year-old's future continues to dominate headlines.

    Amid the transfer rumours, Leicester defender Morgan said in-demand team-mate Maguire has not changed.

    "He has been the same Harry that we know and love," said Morgan. "You can see in the games he's putting 100 per cent effort into everything he does and his quality is there for everyone to see. 

    "I don't know what's going to happen in the future but for now he's still a Leicester player and we enjoy having him here. He's said nothing.

    "There's going to be speculation because he's a top-class player who has done well at international level. Big teams are going to take an interest and that goes for many of our top players. People want our best players and he is one of them.

    "In training, it's the same old banter, the same old training. He's part of Leicester so we just treat him the same."

     

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.