Manchester United to face Barcelona in Champions League quarter-finals

By Sports Desk March 15, 2019

Barcelona and Manchester United will face each other in the pick of the Champions League quarter-final contests.

United defied the odds in reaching the last eight, as they progressed past Paris Saint-Germain on away goals after a 3-3 aggregate draw despite losing the first leg at home 2-0.

If they are to get to the semi-finals they will certainly have done so the hard way, as they are due to face LaLiga champions Barcelona and Lionel Messi in the quarter-finals.

Ernesto Valverde's men trounced Lyon 5-1 on Wednesday – Messi starring with two goals and assists – to ease into the next round, having played out a goalless stalemate in France.

Whoever progresses from that repeat of the 2008-09 and 2010-11 finals will play either Liverpool or Porto, having defeated Bayern Munich and Roma, respectively in the round of 16.

Jurgen Klopp's Reds are among the favourites having gone all the way to the final last year before losing to Real Madrid.

Ajax impressively beat the defending champions 5-3, owing much of that to a virtuoso display from Dusan Tadic in the 4-1 win at the Santiago Bernabeu last week.

Their reward is another major challenge, as they prepare to go up against Juventus and Cristiano Ronaldo, who inspired their turnaround against Atletico Madrid – scoring a second-leg hat-trick to secure a 3-0 win as they battled back to progress 3-2.

The other tie is an all-English affair, with Manchester City and Tottenham set to tussle for the right to play against either Ajax or Juve in the last four.

 

Champions League quarter-final draw:

Ajax v Juventus
Liverpool v Porto
Tottenham v Manchester City
Barcelona v Manchester United

 

Related items

  • Rumour Has It: Tottenham interested in Bale return Rumour Has It: Tottenham interested in Bale return

    Real Madrid potentially have an avenue to sell Gareth Bale and it would see the attacker return to familiar surroundings.

    Bale is reportedly set to leave the Santiago Bernabeu this close season, although the Wales international's agent has repeatedly said the 30-year-old wants to stay.

    Now, it seems a return to Tottenham is a possibility.

     

    TOP STORY – TOTTENHAM INTERESTED IN BALE

    Tottenham have told Real Madrid they are ready to pay between £45million (€50m) and £55m (€60m) for Bale, according to Marca.

    Bale spent six seasons at Spurs before his move to Madrid, twice named the PFA Players' Player of the Year.

    However, the report also says Tottenham are unable to afford Bale's £15.3m (€17m) net wages per season.

    ROUND-UP

    - David de Gea is ready to sign a new deal with Manchester United. Reports in United Kingdom say the Premier League giants are confident the goalkeeper, who is out of contract next year, will re-sign, The Mirror saying De Gea will become the world's highest paid shot-stopper with a £375,000-per-week deal.

    - Unsurprisingly, Neymar still wants out of Paris Saint-Germain. According to Le Parisien, the Brazil star – linked with a return to Barcelona – met with Leonardo and told the sporting director he wanted to leave the Ligue 1 champions.

    - Just as it looked like Manchester United had done a deal for Harry Maguire, it seems they still have work to do. Citing unnamed sources, ESPN FC say United are "miles away" from meeting Leicester City's £80m valuation for the defender. According to the Mirror, United are reluctant to pay more than the £75m Liverpool needed to land Virgil van Dijk last year.

    - Staying at Old Trafford, it seems Manchester United are preparing a bid for Sporting CP midfielder Bruno Fernandes. The Independent say United will put in a concrete bid for Fernandes in the next three weeks.

    - A move that appears close to getting done is Matthijs de Ligt's switch from Ajax to Juventus. The Serie A champions have agreed a €75m deal, including bonuses, with the Eredivisie side, according to Sky Sport.

    - Romelu Lukaku is still a reported target for Inter, but any progress between the Serie A outfit and Manchester United seems to be slow. Sky Sport say Inter are not confident about reaching an agreement, with United wanting €87.8m (£79m) for the striker.

  • Solskjaer warns of centre-back cull if Man United sign Maguire Solskjaer warns of centre-back cull if Man United sign Maguire

    Ole Gunnar Solskjaer said Manchester United will have to reduce their centre-back options if they prise Harry Maguire from Leicester City.

    United have been linked with Maguire throughout the off-season, reports claiming the Red Devils are close to agreeing a world-record fee for a defender.

    Solskjaer has an array of options in the centre-back area, with Victor Lindelof, Eric Bailly, Chris Smalling, Phil Jones, Marcos Rojo and Axel Tuanzebe all on tour in Australia.

    When asked about his stockpile of defenders, Solskjaer told reporters in Perth on Tuesday: "Of course, there's a limit of players.

    "Whoever performs will be part of the team and whoever doesn't has a fight to get back in.

    "There's been loads of speculation but I can't really say anything. We'll work to find a relationship with the ones we've got."

    Tuanzebe, 21, is back with United following an impressive loan spell at Aston Villa, who he helped secure promotion to the Premier League last season.

    Solskjaer, who confirmed Fred, Matteo Darmian and Dean Henderson will join the squad for the next part of their pre-season tour in Singapore, added: "Axel has got a great chance of staying here and playing. He had a great season last year.

    "It was a stop-start season with injuries, but he's really proven that he is capable of playing at that level, he got promoted with Villa and he's come back very strong, focused.

    "He did well in the first game here, so he's one of the young, exciting players that I can't wait to see more."

    United will face rivals Leeds United in Perth on Wednesday following their 2-0 win over Perth Glory on Saturday.

  • Solskjaer hopeful over De Gea contract Solskjaer hopeful over De Gea contract

    Ole Gunnar Solskjaer is hopeful David de Gea will agree a new contract with Manchester United amid reports the goalkeeper is set to re-sign.

    De Gea, 28, is out of contract next year, but reports suggest the Spain international is set to sign a long-term deal worth about £350,000 per week.

    Speaking at a news conference on Tuesday, United manager Solskjaer tried to give little away about De Gea's future.

    "Hopefully we can agree a new contract with David," he said, via the Evening Standard.

    "That will be up to the club and David to announce."

    De Gea has been one of several United players linked with a move away, along with the likes of Paul Pogba and Romelu Lukaku.

    Pogba is reportedly a target for Real Madrid, while Lukaku has been linked with a switch to Serie A outfit Inter.

    Solskjaer, whose team face Leeds United in a friendly in Perth on Wednesday, said whoever was in his squad for their Premier League opener against Chelsea on August 11 would be eager to perform for the Red Devils.

    "The day we start the league, I'm sure everyone who's here will give absolutely everything for Man United," he said when asked if Lukaku would be happy if he stayed.

    "We're going to have a strong team with players who want to give everything and there's always rumours, speculations about Man United players.

    "But when the league starts we batten the hatches down and we stick together as a team."

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.