Barcelona's Dembele to miss Champions League quarter-finals with torn hamstring

By Sports Desk March 14, 2019

Barcelona have announced Ousmane Dembele will be out for up to a month after tearing his hamstring.

The France international had been a doubt for Wednesday's 5-1 Champions League win over Lyon due to a hamstring strain, only to feature off the bench and score late on.

However, that cameo appears to have done little good for the World Cup-winner's condition, as Barca now expect him to be out for three to four weeks.

A four-week absence would mean Dembele missing both legs of Barcelona's Champions League quarter-final, plus LaLiga meetings against Real Betis, Espanyol, Villarreal, Huesca and second-placed Atletico Madrid.

After a difficult first season, the 21-year-old former Borussia Dortmund winger has shown signs of settling at Barca this term, scoring 14 goals in 35 matches across all competitions.

Dembele's form has been disrupted since the turn of the year, though, as he missed five matches in January and February due to an ankle injury. Another spell on the sidelines now awaits.

Related items

  • No offers yet for Jovic, insist Frankfurt No offers yet for Jovic, insist Frankfurt

    Eintracht Frankfurt are yet to receive an offer for striker Luka Jovic, according to a senior club official.

    Barcelona are reportedly readying a €50million bid for the Serbia international, who scored his side's goal in the 1-1 friendly draw with Germany this week.

    Manchester City have also been linked with Jovic, who has scored 15 goals in only 18 Bundesliga starts in 2018-19.

    However, Frankfurt's supervisory board chairman Wolfgang Steubing says they have not yet received any offer for the prized 21-year-old.

    "The numbers that are rampant across social media are not yet on our table," said Steubing at a panel discussion in Frankfurt.

    "There is definitely no offer. But maybe that will happen."

    Jovic is on loan at Frankfurt from Benfica, but the Bundesliga club have the option to sign the player outright for a reported €7m fee.

    Barca are favourites to secure his signature as they seek a long-term successor to Luis Suarez.

  • Varane refuses to discuss Madrid future Varane refuses to discuss Madrid future

    Real Madrid defender Raphael Varane refused to discuss his future amid growing speculation.

    According to reports, Varane is considering leaving Madrid as he seeks a new challenge having won four Champions Leagues and two LaLiga titles since arriving in 2011.

    The 25-year-old, however, was not willing to talk about his future at the Santiago Bernabeu.

    "I do not want to talk about my future," Varane – who is preparing for France's Euro 2020 qualifiers against Moldova and Iceland – told Le Parisien.

    "I am not one to discuss my future publicly."

    Varane has been reunited with countryman Zinedine Zidane, who returned to Madrid as head coach following Santiago Solari's sacking.

    Zidane left the Spanish capital after guiding Madrid to a third consecutive Champions League title before being re-appointed earlier this month.

    "Nine months is not a long time. It was as if it was yesterday," Varane said.

    "I appreciate him both as a person and as a coach. He has been very important to me."

  • Real Madrid and Barcelona want Skriniar – agency Real Madrid and Barcelona want Skriniar – agency
© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.