Bernardo Silva keen to avoid Ronaldo showdown in Champions League

By Sports Desk March 13, 2019

Bernardo Silva has little desire for Manchester City to face a Champions League showdown with his international team-mate Cristiano Ronaldo.

Silva contributed to a glut of goals as City thumped Schalke 7-0 in the last 16 on Tuesday, rounding off a 10-2 win that stands as the second-largest aggregate victory in Champions League history.

But there was drama elsewhere on the same night as Ronaldo netted a hat-trick in Juventus' 3-0 triumph over Atletico Madrid, the Italian team overturning a 2-0 first-leg deficit to progress.

Ronaldo is a five-time winner of Europe's premier club competition and now the driving force as Serie A giants Juve try to claim their first continental triumph for 23 years.

The Champions League is the remaining major honour on City's hitlist following their Abu Dhabi takeover in 2008 and Silva - who penned a long-term contract extension less than 24 hours after the Schalke game - feels drawing Ronaldo and Juventus would be unhelpful in pursuit of their goal.

"I wouldn't like it very much to be honest," he said. "I know him, I know what he's capable of and once again he proved it.

"When you are playing in a competition like the Champions League you have to know that you can get drawn against these kind of teams, these kind of players.

"It is a good thing. It means you are playing the best competitions, the best games and we will see who we are playing against.

"Of course, to play against Cristiano and Messi it is always complicated."

Ronaldo is poised to return to international duty ahead of Portugal's participation in the inaugural Nations League Finals on home soil this June.

The 34-year-old has not featured since the 2018 World Cup and, while effusively praising Silva's contribution at club level this season, City boss Pep Guardiola claimed his man had become Portugal's "biggest star".

"I think people interpreted things a little different to what he meant," the former Monaco favourite said, while insisting Ronaldo had not brought up the subsequent comparison between the two.

"What Cristiano has done over the last 15 years in football means he is probably one of the best players ever in the history of football. So there's no comparison to him."

City remain in contention for an unprecedented quadruple, having pipped Chelsea to the EFL Cup last month, but Silva feels last season's chastening Champions League quarter-final loss to Premier League title rivals Liverpool serves as a warning that they should not get ahead of themselves.

"I think it’s still early. Quarter-finals, we have to go stage by stage," he said.

"Of course, we have big ambition to do as well as possible in this competition because we know we have a good team."

On the 5-1 aggregate loss to Jurgen Klopp's side last season, Silva added: "When you make bad games, when you make mistakes you have to learn from them. 

"That game, especially away was a difficult game for us. We tried to learn from that and we will try in the future not to make the same mistakes."

Related items

  • PSG question claims of fans carrying weapons ahead of Chelsea clash PSG question claims of fans carrying weapons ahead of Chelsea clash

    Paris Saint-Germain have questioned the veracity of claims that fans were caught with drugs and weapons ahead of the Women's Champions League clash against Chelsea.

    The Metropolitan Police said "Weapons, including knives and knuckledusters, were recovered along with class A drugs," from a coach carrying supporters to the game on Thursday.

    "One man from the coach was arrested for possession of class A drugs and the remaining passengers were escorted from the area by police," the Met added in a statement to the BBC.

    Around 50 PSG supporters were reportedly denied entry to the quarter-final first-leg match at Kingsmeadow, which finished 2-0 to the home side, while there were also claims part of the stadium and some London stations were vandalised.

    However, PSG issued a statement on Friday insisting English police had not provided them any evidence to support the allegations made against their fans.

    "We repeat that the local authorities have not provided any evidence of wrongdoing, at least no fact of such gravity that would justify such a ban from attending a match," the club said.

    "All of our supporters were searched, and if any of these searches or facts had been under criminal law, we can imagine the supporters concerned would not have been able to leave British territory without being disturbed.

    "Surprisingly, we note that Chelsea, on the morning of the match, did not want our supporters' presence, arguing alleged damage to the stadium which, according to local testimonies, was prior to the arrival of our fans in London...

    "We express our fullest support to fans of Paris Saint-Germain who, in the middle of the week, had arranged their schedule to come and support our women's team and we're counting on their fervour during the return match next Wednesday in Paris."

  • No offers yet for Jovic, insist Frankfurt No offers yet for Jovic, insist Frankfurt

    Eintracht Frankfurt are yet to receive an offer for striker Luka Jovic, according to a senior club official.

    Barcelona are reportedly readying a €50million bid for the Serbia international, who scored his side's goal in the 1-1 friendly draw with Germany this week.

    Manchester City have also been linked with Jovic, who has scored 15 goals in only 18 Bundesliga starts in 2018-19.

    However, Frankfurt's supervisory board chairman Wolfgang Steubing says they have not yet received any offer for the prized 21-year-old.

    "The numbers that are rampant across social media are not yet on our table," said Steubing at a panel discussion in Frankfurt.

    "There is definitely no offer. But maybe that will happen."

    Jovic is on loan at Frankfurt from Benfica, but the Bundesliga club have the option to sign the player outright for a reported €7m fee.

    Barca are favourites to secure his signature as they seek a long-term successor to Luis Suarez.

  • Pickford defends form amid scrutiny over England spot Pickford defends form amid scrutiny over England spot

    Jordan Pickford insists his error-strewn display at Newcastle United was an aberration, as his place as England's number one comes under scrutiny. 

    The 25-year-old gave away a penalty at St James' Park, which he then saved, before conceding three times as Everton let slip a 2-0 lead to lose 3-2. 

    Pickford's performances this season have seen his position as Gareth Southgate's first choice appear precarious, with positive displays undermined by high-profile errors such as the one that allowed Divock Origi to score an injury-time winner in the Merseyside derby at Anfield. 

    Pickford admits the occasion rather got to him in the Newcastle defeat, but he is adamant his form as a whole has remained strong. 

    "With me being a Sunderland lad, in front of 52,000 Newcastle fans hurling abuse at you for the full game, maybe it did get to me a little bit too much," he said, as quoted by The Guardian. 

    "But I'm only 25 and, as a learning curve for me, that's how I can improve. Next time I go there, I won't be getting involved as much. 

    "Apart from the Newcastle game, I've been doing well, and I think I bounced back from that with a solid performance against Chelsea [in a 2-0 win]. That shows my mentality and my character, and the manager has put his faith in me to start against the Czech Republic [in Euro 2020 qualifying on Friday].  

    "Since the World Cup, I've seen the good side, getting rounds of applause in stadiums. That's different class, and what the England squad have hopefully done for the nation. But I won't be getting that at Newcastle ever. That's something I've got to deal with." 

    England's Euro 2020 qualifying opener against the Czech Republic at Wembley on Friday will include a tribute to Gordon Banks, the 1966 World Cup-winning goalkeeper who died last month. 

    Pickford says all the England keepers received backing from Banks before their World Cup campaign last year. 

    "He sent all the goalkeepers a message," said Pickford. "Every player got a message from a different former player in their position – it was a really nice touch.  

    "What a legend of a goalkeeper he was. With his family there, and a minute's applause, hopefully it'll be a special night and I keep a clean sheet for him." 

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.