I don't mind! - Sarri not bothered by sack speculation

By Sports Desk March 13, 2019

Maurizio Sarri has dismissed the latest round of speculation his time at Chelsea is coming to an end. 

With Chelsea sixth in the Premier League and in danger of missing out on qualification for the Champions League, Sarri's future is under threat despite taking Manchester City to penalties in the EFL Cup final. 

Wolves boss Nuno Espirito Santo is reportedly one of the names under consideration by the Chelsea board should Sarri be sacked, but the former Napoli head coach is not thinking about whether he will be in charge for the 2019-20 season. 

"I don't know. I don't mind at the moment," Sarri told reporters ahead of Thursday's Europa League tie against Dynamo Kiev when asked about his future. 

"For me, now, the next match is very important, and the next match in Liverpool against Everton. For me, the next season at the moment is too far [away]. 

"I want to be focused on these matches, first of all. Then we have the international break, and then a lot of matches – I hope, and I think – in the last part of the season. But we need only to be focused on our matches, the next two, which are very important. 

"We want to be in the top four at the end of the Premier League. And, at the end of the Europa League, we want to be in the final."

Gonzalo Higuain is the headline absentee from Chelsea's squad for the game in Kiev, with Danny Drinkwater and Gary Cahill also left at home despite the English side holding a 3-0 lead in the tie.

Sarri confirmed the striker is suffering from illness so is not being risked ahead of Sunday's Premier League game at Everton. 

"He had a fever after the match in the Premier League, for two days," Sarri said. "So yesterday evening, we with the doctor decided to leave him at home to recover for the next match."

Chelsea are highly likely to progress to the quarter-finals having established a strong lead in last week's opening leg, but Sarri is concerned about the surface in Kiev.

"A disaster. The pitch is not good," Sarri stated. "I think that it's dangerous, really dangerous. It's really dangerous to play any football here in this moment, and I think it's really very dangerous for injuries. But the situation is this, so we have to accept the situation.

"We have to play on this pitch. There isn't another solution, but I cannot understand why UEFA are so, so... haven't really given much attention to everything, especially to the player list.

"You have to present the player list at a certain minute, and then we have to play on such a bad pitch. The situation is this, though. I think it will be very difficult, also, for Dynamo because the pitch is no good.

"It's a problem for us, but also for our opponents, I think. I don't know the reason - probably the winter. I played here two years ago and the pitch was wonderful. [Now it is] Very, very dangerous."

Related items

  • Bale backed by just nine per cent of Real Madrid fans Bale backed by just nine per cent of Real Madrid fans

    Gareth Bale's future at Real Madrid has been the subject of constant speculation – and it appears the majority of the Santiago Bernabeu faithful would be glad to see the Welshman move on.

    There is expected to be plenty of transfer activity at Madrid in the coming months after a disappointing season which saw Julen Lopetegui and Santiago Solari both fired, before the club finished some 19 points off the pace in LaLiga under the guidance of the returning Zinedine Zidane. 

    Bale found himself frozen out of the Frenchman's plans towards the end of the season, failing to play a minute of the final three games of the season.

    And when AS polled over five million fans to gauge the popularity of each member of Zidane's squad, Bale received just nine per cent approval.

    Other standout members of the team to have lost the backing of those in the stands were Isco on 31 per cent, Marcelo on 33 and Toni Kroos on 36.

    During the Clasico defeat to Barcelona in March, Bale was jeered by fans when he was replaced by Marco Asensio.

    Dani Carvajal proved to be the most popular member of the Madrid squad with 92 per cent approval, with Vinicius Jr second on 89 and club captain Sergio Ramos third on 84.

    Another player linked heavily with a Bernabeu exit is goalkeeper Keylor Navas, but he got 76 per cent of fans' backing, ahead of Thibaut Courtois, his principle rival for the number one shirt, on 65.

    Ballon d'Or winner Luka Modric only got a middling score, with 63 per cent backing the Croatia star.

  • Man City star Sane is a Bayern target – Hoeness Man City star Sane is a Bayern target – Hoeness

    Manchester City winger Leroy Sane is a target for Bundesliga champions Bayern Munich, club president Uli Hoeness has confirmed.

    The 23-year-old has shone since moving to the Etihad Stadium from Schalke three years ago, but found himself down the pecking order towards the end of the Premier League season.

    Bayern are in the market for reinforcements on the flanks, with Franck Ribery and Arjen Robben both drawing a curtain on their illustrious careers at the Allianz Arena at the end of the campaign.

    Speculation has increased over the previous few weeks that they were looking to Germany international Sane as a potential signing.

    From us all at #FCBayern, DANKE! @R13_official @FranckRibery@ArjenRobben pic.twitter.com/cl9KG92soi

    — #MEIS7ER (@FCBayernEN) May 23, 2019

    When asked by Suddeutsche Zeitung about Bayern's interest in Sane, Hoeness replied: "We are considering him."

    Hoeness' revelation comes just a day after star striker Robert Lewandowski claimed Sane could "immediately take us higher".

    Bayern have also been linked with RB Leipzig star Timo Werner and Atletico Madrid midfielder Rodri.

  • UEFA dismisses Montenegro appeal against stadium ban UEFA dismisses Montenegro appeal against stadium ban

    UEFA has dismissed an appeal from the Football Association of Montenegro over a one-game ban handed out for racist behaviour by their supporters in the Euro 2020 qualifier against England.

    Montenegro were ordered to play their next competitive home fixture behind closed doors, as well as display a banner with the wording '#EqualGame' following incidents during the fixture on March 25.

    England players Callum Hudson-Odoi, Danny Rose and Raheem Sterling were subjected to racist chanting during their side's 5-1 victory in Podgorica.

    While Montenegro challenged the outcome of an Ethics and Disciplinary Body hearing on April 26, UEFA upheld the initial punishments, including a €20,000 fine for setting off fireworks, throwing of objects, crowd disturbances and the blocking of stairways.

    Meanwhile, UEFA announced Bosnia-Herzegovina's appeal against a two-game suspension for Miralem Pjanic was partially upheld.

    The Juventus midfielder was shown a straight red card for a challenge in the second half of the 2-2 Group J draw with Greece on March 26.

    However, Pjanic's ban has been halved, meaning he will only miss the trip to Finland on June 8 before returning for the clash with Italy three days later.

     

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.