Barcelona's Bartomeu backs plan to play LaLiga games abroad

By Sports Desk February 12, 2019

Barcelona president Josep Maria Bartomeu says multiple LaLiga matches each season should be played outside of Spain.

Girona's home game against Barcelona last month was initially planned to be played at Miami's Hard Rock Stadium as part of a new deal between the league and media company Relevent Sports.

But Barcelona withdrew from the proposal citing "a lack of consensus over this proposal", with the Royal Spanish Football Federation and FIFA both having come out against the plan.

Barca defender Gerard Pique also voiced his concerns while the Association of Spanish Footballers said the body was not consulted over the idea.

Bartomeu, though, has indicated Barcelona are open to playing future LaLiga matches abroad.

"If we want LaLiga to be strong, we are to play in these games," Bartomeu said to BBC Sport.

"At Barca we have sometimes been talking to LaLiga and have been telling them that if you want to promote LaLiga more and more, then we should have three games of the year outside - one in America, one in the Middle East and one in Asia.

"We have to go and be closer to the fans. We do the summer tours in July and August to go closer to the fans. It's us showing respect to them, going to Miami would have been respect to our fans in the USA."

LaLiga's chief communications officer Joris Evers confirmed plans to play league games outside of Spain are continuing despite the Miami plan failing.

"Of course, we strongly support any club's international ambitions as we certainly share the vision of bringing La Liga action closer to fans everywhere and making LaLiga a stronger international brand," he told BBC Sport.

"We continue to work towards playing a LaLiga match outside of Spain and want to do that as soon as possible. We are working with all stakeholders to make it happen. We see this as a logical next step in the growth of our league and as a clear benefit to everyone involved."

 

Related items

  • Coutinho arrives in Munich ahead of Bayern loan move Coutinho arrives in Munich ahead of Bayern loan move

    Philippe Coutinho has landed in Germany to finalise his season-long loan move to Bayern Munich.

    The Brazil international is expected to undergo a medical on Sunday before agreeing a deal that includes an option for the Bundesliga champions to purchase him on a permanent basis.

    Barca spokesman Guillermo Amor announced Coutinho's impending departure on Friday, ahead of the club's season-opening loss to Athletic Bilbao.

    Signed from Liverpool in January 2018, the 27-year-old struggled to find his best form at Camp Nou and was restricted to 22 LaLiga starts last season.

    Coutinho had been linked to Paris Saint-Germain as a potential makeweight in a swap deal that would have sent compatriot Neymar back to Barca, while Premier League clubs Arsenal and Tottenham are said to have investigated loan moves before their transfer window closed.

  • Coutinho will be Bundesliga's best 'by far' – Grujic Coutinho will be Bundesliga's best 'by far' – Grujic

    Bayern Munich-bound Philippe Coutinho will be head and shoulders above every other player in the Bundesliga, according to former team-mate Marko Grujic.

    Coutinho, 27, is on the cusp of joining Niko Kovac's side on a season-long loan from Barcelona.

    The agreement will include an option for Bayern to sign the Brazilian on a permanent basis, their sporting director Hasan Salihamidzic confirmed.

    Hertha Berlin midfielder Grujic played alongside Coutinho at Liverpool and thinks German football fans are in for a treat.

    "It's a big deal for the whole Bundesliga that we now have the opportunity to see Coutinho," Grujic told Sport Bild.

    "He is a special, exciting player, capable of crazy things. He has incredible tricks and skills. I enjoyed every training session with him.

    "He will be the best footballer in Germany by far."

    Coutinho is expected to undergo a medical in Bavaria on either Sunday or Monday.

    His new club started their title defence with a 2-2 draw at home to Hertha on Friday, Grujic scoring the second for the visitors before Robert Lewandowski completed his brace to force a share of the spoils.

  • Rumour Has It: Sanchez agrees Inter deal as Madrid make Eriksen move Rumour Has It: Sanchez agrees Inter deal as Madrid make Eriksen move

    First Romelu Lukaku. Now Alexis Sanchez?

    Lukaku left Manchester United for Inter and former team-mate Sanchez could join the powerhouse Belgian in Milan.

    Antonio Conte's Inter are set to be active before the transfer window closes.

     

    TOP STORY – SANCHEZ SET FOR INTER

    Manchester United forward Alexis Sanchez has agreed terms with Inter, according to Sky Italia.

    Sanchez has endured a nightmare spell since joining United from Premier League rivals Arsenal in 2018, managing just five goals in all competitions.

    While United manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has publicly declared Sanchez will play a significant role this season, the Chilean is reportedly poised to join former Red Devils striker Romelu Lukaku at Inter.

     

    ROUND-UP 

    - Real Madrid will make a late €65million (£60m) bid to sign Tottenham midfielder Christian Eriksen, The Sun reports. The Danish star has been linked to Atletico Madrid and Juventus, while Madrid have been talking to Ajax about Donny van de Beek as they struggle to prise Paul Pogba from Manchester United.

    - Le Parisien says Neymar remains convinced he will leave Paris Saint-Germain before the transfer window shuts. It comes as Sport claims Barcelona president Josep Maria Bartomeu has taken command to re-sign the Brazilian, who left for a world-record fee in 2017.

    - According to the Mirror, Manchester United are ready to pay defender Marcos Rojo to leave Old Trafford. With two years remaining on his contract, Rojo was linked with a deadline-day move to Everton. The Argentina international is now reportedly pushing for a loan switch to Turkish giants Fenerbahce.

    Bayern Munich want to re-sign Mario Mandzukic from Juventus, claims Bild. Mandzukic spent two years at Bayern, where he won back-to-back Bundesliga titles and the Champions League.

    - It comes as Soccerlink reports Serie A champions Juve have turned to Lyon forward Moussa Dembele, with Inter outcast Mauro Icardi proving difficult to sign.

    Napoli are preparing to relaunch a €60m bid to sign Icardi, according to Corriere dello Sport. Juventus are willing to offer Paulo Dybala in a swap deal but Inter are reluctant to deal with the Bianconeri. Napoli are also reportedly set to complete the signing of PSV's Hirving Lozano, who will undergo a medical on Wednesday.

    AC Milan have asked Tottenham for full-back Serge Aurier on loan with an option to buy, claims Soccerlink.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.