Atletico suffer Lucas blow but Costa trains with squad

By Sports Desk February 12, 2019

Atletico Madrid have confirmed defender Lucas Hernandez sustained a knee injury in the derby defeat to Real Madrid - but there was good news for the club concerning Diego Costa's comeback.

After suffering discomfort in the 3-1 loss at the Wanda Metropolitano on Saturday, Lucas - who played the entire game - has been diagnosed with a sprain in the medial side of the right knee.

The France international - heavily linked with Bayern Munich in the January transfer window - damaged the medial collateral ligament in the same knee in December, though Atletico have not said how long the defender will be out of action following the latest setback.

Atletico travel to Rayo Vallecano in LaLiga action at the weekend before hosting Juventus next Wednesday in the first leg of their Champions League last-16 tie.

The Spanish club said last month they hoped Costa would be back in time to feature against Juve, having undergone surgery on a foot injury late in 2018.

The striker was pictured in training with his team-mates on Tuesday, raising hopes he may be in contention to face the Serie A champions.

Defender Stefan Savic - who suffered a grade two hamstring tear in the 1-0 win over Levante on January 13 - was also back on duty with Diego Simeone's squad.

Related items

  • Coutinho arrives in Munich ahead of Bayern loan move Coutinho arrives in Munich ahead of Bayern loan move

    Philippe Coutinho has landed in Germany to finalise his season-long loan move to Bayern Munich.

    The Brazil international is expected to undergo a medical on Sunday before agreeing a deal that includes an option for the Bundesliga champions to purchase him on a permanent basis.

    Barca spokesman Guillermo Amor announced Coutinho's impending departure on Friday, ahead of the club's season-opening loss to Athletic Bilbao.

    Signed from Liverpool in January 2018, the 27-year-old struggled to find his best form at Camp Nou and was restricted to 22 LaLiga starts last season.

    Coutinho had been linked to Paris Saint-Germain as a potential makeweight in a swap deal that would have sent compatriot Neymar back to Barca, while Premier League clubs Arsenal and Tottenham are said to have investigated loan moves before their transfer window closed.

  • Rumour Has It: Sanchez agrees Inter deal as Madrid make Eriksen move Rumour Has It: Sanchez agrees Inter deal as Madrid make Eriksen move

    First Romelu Lukaku. Now Alexis Sanchez?

    Lukaku left Manchester United for Inter and former team-mate Sanchez could join the powerhouse Belgian in Milan.

    Antonio Conte's Inter are set to be active before the transfer window closes.

     

    TOP STORY – SANCHEZ SET FOR INTER

    Manchester United forward Alexis Sanchez has agreed terms with Inter, according to Sky Italia.

    Sanchez has endured a nightmare spell since joining United from Premier League rivals Arsenal in 2018, managing just five goals in all competitions.

    While United manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has publicly declared Sanchez will play a significant role this season, the Chilean is reportedly poised to join former Red Devils striker Romelu Lukaku at Inter.

     

    ROUND-UP 

    - Real Madrid will make a late €65million (£60m) bid to sign Tottenham midfielder Christian Eriksen, The Sun reports. The Danish star has been linked to Atletico Madrid and Juventus, while Madrid have been talking to Ajax about Donny van de Beek as they struggle to prise Paul Pogba from Manchester United.

    - Le Parisien says Neymar remains convinced he will leave Paris Saint-Germain before the transfer window shuts. It comes as Sport claims Barcelona president Josep Maria Bartomeu has taken command to re-sign the Brazilian, who left for a world-record fee in 2017.

    - According to the Mirror, Manchester United are ready to pay defender Marcos Rojo to leave Old Trafford. With two years remaining on his contract, Rojo was linked with a deadline-day move to Everton. The Argentina international is now reportedly pushing for a loan switch to Turkish giants Fenerbahce.

    Bayern Munich want to re-sign Mario Mandzukic from Juventus, claims Bild. Mandzukic spent two years at Bayern, where he won back-to-back Bundesliga titles and the Champions League.

    - It comes as Soccerlink reports Serie A champions Juve have turned to Lyon forward Moussa Dembele, with Inter outcast Mauro Icardi proving difficult to sign.

    Napoli are preparing to relaunch a €60m bid to sign Icardi, according to Corriere dello Sport. Juventus are willing to offer Paulo Dybala in a swap deal but Inter are reluctant to deal with the Bianconeri. Napoli are also reportedly set to complete the signing of PSV's Hirving Lozano, who will undergo a medical on Wednesday.

    AC Milan have asked Tottenham for full-back Serge Aurier on loan with an option to buy, claims Soccerlink.

  • Dortmund want to get better every day – Favre eyes improvement despite 5-1 rout Dortmund want to get better every day – Favre eyes improvement despite 5-1 rout

    Borussia Dortmund head coach Lucien Favre said his Bundesliga hopefuls can get even better following their 5-1 demolition of Augsburg.

    Last season's runners-up Dortmund recorded their biggest-ever opening-day victory in the club's 52 seasons in the Bundesliga thanks to Saturday's rout of visiting Augsburg.

    Florian Niederlechner gave Augsburg a shock first-minute lead, but that advantage was wiped out by Dortmund's Paco Alcacer two minutes later at Signal-Iduna Park.

    It was one-way traffic from that point as Dortmund – who surrendered a nine-point lead to Bayern Munich last season – pilled on four unanswered goals in the second half via Jadon Sancho, captain Marco Reus, Alcacer and Julian Brandt.

    "We upped the tempo in the second period, which was very good," Favre told Sky. "The result was then clear and deserved. But we also still have a few things to work on.

    "We want to get better every day. What's important for me is that the players make progress – both individually and collectively too.

    Reus, who scored Dortmund's third goal 12 minutes into the second half, added: "There was a lot of excitement to be playing our first game at home. The stadium was sold out and the fans were immense once again; especially after we went 1-0 down, they were extremely loud.

    "We never doubted we could win this match. It obviously wasn't all perfect, we would've liked to have gone 2-1 up before the interval. At the break we said we needed to play with more purpose. That's how we then created our chances.

    "The fact we were playing towards the South Stand in the second half gave us the push we needed, as it always does. You get the feeling you can apply even more pressure, that you're more on your game. We're happy we scored four goals in front of the South Stand."

    Germany international Nico Schulz made his Bundesliga debut for Dortmund, alongside fellow new signings Mats Hummels and Thorgan Hazard, after arriving from Hoffenheim in the off-season.

    "That was a very, very good start," Schulz said. "We went about the match the way we'd set out to. We kept our cool after conceding and we're delighted to get our first three points. We went 2-1 ahead relatively early and we had more space after that. Then it got slightly easier for us.

    "The chants by the fans are an honour for me, of course. Obviously, the best way to pay them back will be with my performances."

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.