Bonucci returns to Juventus training

By Sports Desk February 12, 2019

Leonardo Bonucci has returned to Juventus training after two weeks out with an ankle injury, the Serie A champions have confirmed.

The centre-back had to be replaced before half-time in Juve's 2-1 win over Lazio on January 27 after being hurt earlier in the game.

Juve's initial medical update said he had suffered from a sprain to his right ankle, while reports claimed he was looking at up to a month out.

That put him in real doubt of facing Atletico Madrid in Juve's Champions League last-16 first leg on February 20.

However, he was able to take part in Juve's entire training session on Tuesday, suggesting he could yet win his race to be fit for the trip to Madrid.

Cristiano Ronaldo, Giorgio Chiellini and Douglas Costa all underwent "personalised training" away from the main group, with the latter said to be showing good signs of progress in his recovery from a thigh problem.

Related items

  • Tuchel hopeful of new Alves deal at PSG Tuchel hopeful of new Alves deal at PSG

    Thomas Tuchel is hopeful Dani Alves will agree a new contract with Paris Saint-Germain as he confirmed the player is in negotiations with the club.

    Alves has become a key man since joining PSG from Juventus in 2017, but the two-year deal he signed at Parc des Princes expires at the end of this season.

    Reports in recent days suggested the Ligue 1 champions had taken steps to extend the right-back's stay in the capital for another year, though.

    And while head coach Tuchel is not involved in the talks, he is keen to see a positive outcome.

    "[Negotiating contracts] is not my job," he told a news conference ahead of the clash with Nimes. "Dani is Dani. He is very important, and his attitude is great.

    "But I am not involved in these negotiations. I hope the club and his agents will come to an agreement."

    Meanwhile, Tuchel confirmed that only Neymar and Edinson Cavani are certain to miss Saturday’s Ligue 1 clash.

    However, he is wary of risking those who are showing signs of fatigue, with a Coupe de France meeting with Dijon and a league game at Caen to come before the Champions League last-16 second leg against Manchester United on March 6.

    "Only Neymar and Cavani will be absent. All the others are available," he said. "There is fatigue and some small injuries, but nothing serious.

    "[Thomas] Meunier will definitely be back and [Juan] Bernat is available.

    "There are some guys who have played six or seven consecutive matches. We must be attentive and take stock with the medical staff and players.

    "It is hard to do, but we must protect the players."

  • Klopp ponders PSG's Manchester United blueprint Klopp ponders PSG's Manchester United blueprint

    Liverpool will attempt to become the second team to beat Manchester United under Ole Gunnar Solskjaer on Sunday following Paris Saint-Germain's Champions League victory at Old Trafford.

    A composed 2-0 win, featuring goals from Presnel Kimpembe and Kylian Mbappe for the Ligue 1 giants, won the admiration of Jurgen Klopp.

    But the Liverpool boss is unsure to what extent the circumstances of that game can be replicated after United were derailed mid-match by injuries to influential attackers Jesse Lingard and Anthony Martial – both of whom are in line to return as Klopp's men aim to avoid defeat and return to the top of the Premier League.

    "Result-wise [PSG] were the only team, but Tottenham played a pretty good game against United to be honest," he told a news conference, referencing United's 1-0 win at Wembley where goalkeeper David de Gea excelled.

    "PSG were pretty cool with the ball, passed a lot, they were really confident, good positioning, passing through the lines and scoring in the right moment."

    United returned to winning ways with a superb 2-0 triumph at Chelsea in the fifth round of the FA Cup on Monday.

    Klopp felt that showed how much the injuries to Lingard and Martial hindered Solskjaer when he was forced into changes on the run, in contrast to the smoothly operating game plan he put together for the trip to Stamford Bridge.

    “You saw against Chelsea that United could play pretty well without Lingard and Martial. That was a proper line-up with [Juan] Mata and [Romelu] Lukaku coming in.

    "But changing in the game is different and you cannot really adapt. They played the last six or seven games before that with the same line-up and then they had to adapt in 15 minutes, and it didn't really work out.

    "PSG used that, it was a bit of luck for PSG but they played a really good game. They were very demanding, looked in charge in most situations and didn't give a lot of counter-attacks away, which is a very big thing against United.

    "Whichever line-up they have, whoever they play will attack quickly on the offensive wings. You need to be 100 per cent concentrated, and PSG did well, scored good goals in the right moments and that always helps in football."

    Klopp will welcome back Virgil van Dijk after his star centre-back sat out Tuesday's 0-0 draw at home to Bayern Munich in the Champions League through suspension.

    Fellow defenders Dejan Lovren and Joe Gomez remain sidelined, but the former Borussia Dortmund boss reported fitness concerns are decreasing elsewhere in his squad ahead of a pivotal period in the season.

    "Dejan is not in, Joe is not in, and I think pretty much all the rest are in training," he added.

    "Rhian Brewster is only in little parts, Ox [Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain] is in bigger parts but not ready to play. The rest should be.

    "Usually now I get a message that somebody is ill, so I am a bit nervous about that, but until now I didn't hear anything!"

  • AEK Athens handed suspended European competition ban AEK Athens handed suspended European competition ban

    AEK Athens have been hit with a one-season ban from European competition after fan violence in a Champions League game against Ajax, but UEFA has suspended the punishment for two years.

    Home fans were pictured throwing flares and other missiles into the away section of the Olympic Stadium ahead of November's group game between the sides, which Ajax won 2-0.

    Some images showed flames erupting on the terrace and riot police were also seen striking Ajax fans, some of whom were left with bloodied faces.

    AEK were charged by UEFA following the game and the organisation's Control, Ethics and Disciplinary Body announced the Greek club's punishment on Friday.

    A statement said: "The UEFA Control, Ethics and Disciplinary Body has decided: To exclude AEK Athens from participating in the next UEFA club competition for which it will otherwise qualify. This sanction is suspended for a probationary period of two years.

    "To order the club to play its next two UEFA competition matches as host club behind closed doors. To fine AEK Athens €80,000."

    Ajax were also charged by UEFA after the game but proceedings against the Dutch club have now been closed.

    AEK are third in the Greek Super League after 21 rounds of games, sitting outside the Champions League qualification places.

    "Our club apologised publicly and immediately, and recognised its part of responsibility about what happened," said a club statement in response to UEFA's punishment.

    "The most important thing for all of us is to realise and think about that this decision does not mean the end of this incident, but the beginning of an extremely difficult road of complete compliance with the actual meaning of this decision, along with the need of taking drastic action in order to avoid finding ourselves at this position ever again, because in that case there will be no return!"

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.