If Real Madrid don't want me, I'll leave – Marcelo

By Sports Desk February 12, 2019

Real Madrid left-back Marcelo is prepared to leave the club if they no longer want him, but he remains optimistic about his standing at the Santiago Bernabeu.

Brazil international Marcelo is enduring one of the most challenging seasons of his career this term, featuring only 12 times from a possible 23 LaLiga games.

Sergio Reguilon has been the main beneficiary of Marcelo's slump, with the Madrid youth product following Santiago Solari up from the club's Castilla side and making nine appearances on the left side of defence.

As such, media speculation has tentatively linked Marcelo with a move – Juventus touted as a potential destination.

Marcelo does not want to leave, but he will do if Madrid decide they want him out.

"If I am on the list of players [Madrid] want to sell, then they can pay me up and all is sorted," the 30-year-old told Esporte Interativo.

"I trust in myself, in my work, but if a day comes when Real Madrid do not want me, I'll go. I will be sad, but I'll go. But I am sure I will not be kicked out."

Marcelo acknowledged that his form this season has not been at his usual standard, though he is convinced that he is in good condition – all he is lacking is confidence.

"The level I have been showing is difficult to always maintain," he added. "I am a little below that level at the moment, but my career has been like that, some little dips, and unfortunately this season I had three injuries in two months.

"I went through a difficult period in my football and within the club, but that phase is over now, I need to play to get back to my usual form and confidence.

"But I feel good now, physically good, I am training strongly. I need to play to get back my confidence, but physically I am good."

Related items

  • England, Chelsea and Arsenal great Cole announces retirement England, Chelsea and Arsenal great Cole announces retirement

    England great Ashley Cole announced he has retired from the game at the age of 38.

    Left-back Cole is one of only nine men to have played over 100 times for the Three Lions, who he represented at the 2002, 2006 and 2010 World Cups.

    The former Chelsea and Arsenal defender won three Premier League titles and seven FA Cups, as well as helping the Blues to win the 2011-12 Champions League.

    He moved to MLS side LA Galaxy in 2016 after a brief spell with Roma before returning to England earlier this year to play under former Chelsea and England team-mate Frank Lampard at Derby County.

    The Rams did not give Cole a new deal after missing out on promotion to the Premier League and he will now pursue a coaching career having played his final match at Wembley in May's play-off final loss to Aston Villa.

    "After hard thinking and consideration, it's time to hang my boots up and think towards my next chapter, which will hopefully be coaching," Cole told Sky Sports. "I'm doing the course at the moment. Now I want to be great at being a coach.

    "As a young kid, I never expected to play one game or to be a professional. So, to be looking back now and to be able to say I played in World Cups and Champions League finals, being lucky enough to lift Premier League titles... it's a young kid's dream. I've fulfilled my dream."

    Cole was part of the so-called 'Golden Generation' of England talents in the 2000s but that team, featuring stars including David Beckham, Steven Gerrard, Michael Owen, John Terry and Lampard, failed to win a major international tournament.

    Asked about what made him most proud, Cole said: "The England caps. I probably didn't grasp it as much as I should. I look back now and I've played for my country not just once but over 100 times.

    "I'm proud of that and it's just a little bit disappointing I didn't get to a final or even a semi-final with England. It's a little bit disappointing."

  • Cuisance signs five-year contract at Bayern Munich Cuisance signs five-year contract at Bayern Munich

    Bayern Munich have completed the signing of midfielder Mickael Cuisance on a five-year contract.

    The France Under-20 international moves to Allianz Arena from Borussia Monchengladbach and will begin training with his new team-mates next week.

    Bayern reportedly paid €10million to prise him from Bundesliga rivals Gladbach.

    The club's sporting director, Hasan Salihamidzic, tipped the former Nancy player to enjoy a bright future in Bavaria.

    "He has a lot of technical skills and great potential," Salihamidzic said.

    "Mickael should develop with us. We are convinced that we will have a lot of fun with him."

    Cuisance broke through for 24 Bundesliga appearances at Gladbach during the 2017-18 season but only one of his 11 top-flight games last term were as part of the starting XI.

    He becomes the fifth French player in Niko Kovac's squad, joining Benjamin Pavard, Lucas Hernandez, Corentin Tolisso and Kingsley Coman.

    "I know this is a big step for me but I feel ready and I'm very proud to be wearing Bayern's jersey," Cuisance said.

    "For me personally, it's great that some French players already play for Bayern. That will certainly help me with the integration into the team."

    Bayern are expected to imminently announce the loan signing of Barcelona star Philippe Coutinho, who is believed to be undergoing a medical on Sunday.

  • Coutinho arrives in Munich ahead of Bayern loan move Coutinho arrives in Munich ahead of Bayern loan move

    Philippe Coutinho has landed in Germany to finalise his season-long loan move to Bayern Munich.

    The Brazil international is expected to undergo a medical on Sunday before agreeing a deal that includes an option for the Bundesliga champions to purchase him on a permanent basis.

    Barca spokesman Guillermo Amor announced Coutinho's impending departure on Friday, ahead of the club's season-opening loss to Athletic Bilbao.

    Signed from Liverpool in January 2018, the 27-year-old struggled to find his best form at Camp Nou and was restricted to 22 LaLiga starts last season.

    Coutinho had been linked to Paris Saint-Germain as a potential makeweight in a swap deal that would have sent compatriot Neymar back to Barca, while Premier League clubs Arsenal and Tottenham are said to have investigated loan moves before their transfer window closed.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.