EPL

Benitez blames Dubravka for Wolves' last-gasp equaliser

By Sports Desk February 11, 2019

Rafael Benitez felt Martin Dubravka was partly to blame for Wolves' dramatic late equaliser against Newcastle United on Monday.

The Magpies looked to be heading for victory at Molineux thanks to an Isaac Hayden strike, but Nuno Espirito Santo's side levelled in the fifth minute of injury time through Willy Boly.

The centre-back jumped with Dubravka to meet Adama Traore's looping cross and headed home after the Newcastle goalkeeper failed to catch the ball, with referee Graham Scott deciding no foul had been committed.

Benitez looked furious on the touchline and confronted the officials after the final whistle but, speaking afterwards, he felt Newcastle's defending and Dubravka's failure to punch the cross clear were the more significant problems.

"Everybody knew we had the three points and it was really disappointing to concede the way we conceded," he told Sky Sports.

"They were pushing, and we could do better. With this kind of ball, you can do a little bit better - just punch the ball and finish.

"It was not very clear [if it was a foul], watching the replay, but we have to defend better. We know it's England and people will come against the keeper. You have to be strong enough."

When asked about his remonstrations with the referee, Benitez said: "I was not happy with some decisions but, overall, I think he was fine, so we cannot complain about that.

"We were winning, that is football. In both games [against Wolves this season], we have been really unlucky against a good team."

The result lifts Newcastle a point above the relegation zone, leaving Benitez content with the way his side are playing but feeling there is also scope to get better.

"When you go to the final minute winning, you cannot be happy [with the result]," he said. "The main thing is the team seems to be solid, well-organised. There is plenty of room for improvement."

Wolves boss Nuno was unsure whether the goal should have been allowed to stand, but he felt his side deserved at least a point despite their failure to be more clinical earlier in the game.

"I didn't see the images yet," he told BBC Sport. "I don't judge the work of the referees because it is so hard. The referees are so well prepared and must decide in a second.

"It came late, but the performance deserved goals. We created situations but the final touch was not there. It is something we must improve and be more clinical.

"Credit to Newcastle - they were so organised. [Scoring in the] last minute shows the character of the team."

Related items

  • Reus and Piszczek still out for Borussia Dortmund Reus and Piszczek still out for Borussia Dortmund

    Borussia Dortmund will again be without both Marco Reus and Lukasz Piszczek for Sunday's Bundesliga game against Bayer Leverkusen, head coach Lucien Favre has confirmed.

    Reus, struggling with a thigh issue, has been out since the defeat to Werder Bremen on penalties in the DFB-Pokal, while Piszczek has missed the last three games with a heel problem.

    Dortmund’s season has threatened to derail in their absence, with three consecutive Bundesliga draws cutting their lead at the top to just three points, while Favre's men lost their Champions League last-16 first leg 3-0 at Tottenham.

    And neither Reus nor Piszczek will be back to feature against Leverkusen at Signal Iduna Park.

    "Both will not play on Sunday," Favre told a pre-match news conference.

    Marius Wolf and Thomas Delaney are also doubts, having not trained with the rest of the team on Friday, but Manuel Akanji is close to full fitness.

    Leverkusen are coached by former Dortmund boss Peter Bosz, with BVB sporting director Michael Zorc acknowledging: "When we play against Leverkusen, both clubs know each other very well.

    "There are few secrets. This match will depend on which team performs their game the best."

  • I wish it wasn't 6-0 - Guardiola fears fuelling Chelsea fire I wish it wasn't 6-0 - Guardiola fears fuelling Chelsea fire

    Pep Guardiola fears Manchester City's 6-0 thrashing of Chelsea could prompt a Wembley backlash in Sunday's EFL Cup final.

    Sergio Aguero hit a hat-trick as the reigning Premier League champions ran riot at the Etihad Stadium earlier this month.

    City are also aiming to retain the EFL Cup, which they won with a 3-0 victory over Arsenal last term, but Guardiola feels the motivation for revenge among Maurizio Sarri's under-fire squad will be strong.

    "In that moment I was so happy we beat them 6-0. At this moment today, I would prefer not to have won 6-0 against Chelsea," he told a pre-match news conference.

    "I don't like to play in a short period of time with one team when you beat them before, I don’t like it too much. In part for us, in part for the opponent.

    "They are incredible professional players, they are proud and they will do extra.

    "When we lost 2-0 at Stamford Bridge [in December] we could not accept the defeat again here at home.

    "It is what it is. We are going to face it mentally as well as possible, play the final and improve the type of games we have to play when we are in finals."

    A 2-0 reverse against Manchester United compounded matters for Guardiola's friend and counterpart Sarri, with speculation mounting that the former Napoli boss' job is on the line.

    Parallels have been drawn between Chelsea's woes and Guardiola's uneven first campaign in Manchester, but the Catalan feels he benefits from boardroom support denied to Sarri and his predecessors, such as Antonio Conte.

    "The situation, I think is a little bit different. In my first year the club never doubted me," he said.

    "It was never released in the media that the people are going to sack me if I lose this game or another game. It never happened.

    "It surprised me when Conte won the title and they lose one or two games at the start of the next season and people said he was going to be sacked. The situation is completely different.

    "My opinion about Sarri and his teams is always high. I reviewed the game against us and people don't believe me but they did incredible things.

    "They made mistakes on the first and third goal and Sergio scored an incredible goal. Then it is difficult for the manger and the team, but they did many, many good things.

    "I spoke with my staff and they had the same opinion. We were so clinical in that game, the first four or five times we arrived we scored goals."

    Chelsea's preparations for Sunday's showpiece were unhelpfully hit by news FIFA have punished the club with a two-window ban on registering new players after they contravened rules relating to the signing of youth footballers.

    "In the future, I don't know [what the impact will be] because I am not at Chelsea," Guardiola added. "In terms of the game, not any impact for the players.

    "They will be focused and the manger will be focused to win the game against us."

  • Tuchel hopeful of new Alves deal at PSG Tuchel hopeful of new Alves deal at PSG

    Thomas Tuchel is hopeful Dani Alves will agree a new contract with Paris Saint-Germain as he confirmed the player is in negotiations with the club.

    Alves has become a key man since joining PSG from Juventus in 2017, but the two-year deal he signed at Parc des Princes expires at the end of this season.

    Reports in recent days suggested the Ligue 1 champions had taken steps to extend the right-back's stay in the capital for another year, though.

    And while head coach Tuchel is not involved in the talks, he is keen to see a positive outcome.

    "[Negotiating contracts] is not my job," he told a news conference ahead of the clash with Nimes. "Dani is Dani. He is very important, and his attitude is great.

    "But I am not involved in these negotiations. I hope the club and his agents will come to an agreement."

    Meanwhile, Tuchel confirmed that only Neymar and Edinson Cavani are certain to miss Saturday’s Ligue 1 clash.

    However, he is wary of risking those who are showing signs of fatigue, with a Coupe de France meeting with Dijon and a league game at Caen to come before the Champions League last-16 second leg against Manchester United on March 6.

    "Only Neymar and Cavani will be absent. All the others are available," he said. "There is fatigue and some small injuries, but nothing serious.

    "[Thomas] Meunier will definitely be back and [Juan] Bernat is available.

    "There are some guys who have played six or seven consecutive matches. We must be attentive and take stock with the medical staff and players.

    "It is hard to do, but we must protect the players."

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.