Ronaldo and Dybala can play together, insists Allegri

By Sports Desk February 10, 2019

Massimiliano Allegri insisted Cristiano Ronaldo and Paulo Dybala can play together despite seeing Juventus return to winning ways after dropping the Argentinian.

Dybala was made to apologise after he stormed off the touchline during Juve's 3-3 draw with Parma and he was among the substitutes as the Bianconeri bounced back with a 3-0 win at Sassuolo.

Allegri brought Dybala on for the final seven minutes of the game, by which time goals from Sami Khedira and Ronaldo had put the Serie A champions in control, and Emre Can added a third as the visitors went 11 points clear at the top of the table.

Allegri explained his team selection to Sky Sport Italia, saying: "I compliment the team for a clean sheet, which is very important. We're in good shape.

"Ronaldo and Dybala can certainly play together and they will do, but we need everyone to work hard in order to keep the team balanced.

"It all depends on who you are playing against. If the opponents are really clammed up, you need to pass around them. If they leave gaps, you pass between the lines.

"Sassuolo have a strong midfield, so I had to balance my team that way."

Dybala has scored just two Serie A goals in 20 appearances this season and is set to fall well short of the 22-goal haul he achieved in 2017-18.

Allegri explained the 25-year-old remains an important player but indicated the arrival of Ronaldo this season had made Dybala less effective in certain games.

"Players are disappointed, but every now and then sitting on the bench is necessary to recharge the batteries and rediscover the right mental toughness," said Allegri.

"Different players have different characteristics. Dybala is playing the same role as he did last year and the year before.

"It's just having Ronaldo, who is more of a striker, we need someone to find the space. We still need bodies in the box.

"You can play Dybala and Ronaldo, it just depends on the situations. Ronaldo played with Karim Benzema and Gareth Bale, so it's not like they're insane at Real Madrid.

"Everyone needs the right partner. Mario Mandzukic is very helpful for Dybala and for Ronaldo."

Related items

  • Fazio pens Roma extension Fazio pens Roma extension

    Federico Fazio has signed a two-year contract extension with Roma, the Serie A club have confirmed.

    The centre-back's fresh terms at the Stadio Olimpico run until June 30, 2021.

    "It's my second renewal with the club and I am incredibly pleased," said the 32-year-old Argentina international, who moved to the Italian capital on an initial loan deal from Tottenham in 2016.

    "From the very first day here I have felt that the club has confidence in me, something that is important to every player. 

    "I've sensed that belief from everyone who works at Trigoria [Roma's training ground] – a place I want to stay at for the long-term."

    In three seasons with the Giallorossi, Fazio has made 135 appearances and scored 11 goals.

    "Federico is a key player within our squad, and because of that we are delighted to be able to extend his contract," said Roma's sporting director Gianluca Petrachi.

    "We will be relying on his ability and his experience, qualities which will also be hugely important in the growth and development of our younger players.

    "Federico will be a mentor for our defence and for our lads."

    Roma open their Serie A campaign at home to Genoa on Sunday following a busy close season under new head coach Paulo Fonseca.

    Pau Lopez, Bryan Cristante and Amadou Diawara are among those in line to make their competitive debuts.

  • Rumour Has It: Barcelona to submit Neymar bid Rumour Has It: Barcelona to submit Neymar bid

    Neymar continues to dominate the headlines and Barcelona look set to finally get serious in a move for the Paris Saint-Germain star.

    The Brazil international, 27, has been linked with a move from PSG, but progress has seemingly been slow amid links to Barca and Real Madrid.

    It appears Juventus are now ready to join the race, too, as Barcelona prepare to submit an offer.

     

    TOP STORY – BARCELONA TO SUBMIT NEYMAR BID

    Barcelona have decided to submit a formal offer to PSG for Neymar, according to RAC1.

    The cover of Sport reads 'Offer Offical' as Barcelona continue their pursuit of the star they sold to PSG for €222million two years ago.

    They say Barca are hoping to get a deal done and have an option to buy Neymar next season.

     

    ROUND-UP

    - There may yet be a bit to play out in the Neymar saga. AS report Juventus have opened talks with PSG and are keen to sign the Brazil star, willing to offer Neymar the €37m per year net he currently makes at PSG.

    - Paulo Dybala could be part of a Juventus move for Neymar. Dybala was reportedly close to a Premier League switch earlier this month and is valued at €80m and a target for PSG, according to Sport and the Daily Mail, giving the Ligue 1 champions an ideal replacement for Neymar.

    - Christian Eriksen's Tottenham future remains unclear. However, ESPN FC report the Denmark international is only interested in moving to Barcelona, Real Madrid or Juventus if he leaves Tottenham.

    - As Barcelona try to find a deal for Neymar, Nelson Semedo has been one of the players mentioned as part of a potential package. However, Marca report the defender does not want to go to PSG and Barca are aware.

    - Roma are still trying to strengthen their defence and Arsenal's Shkodran Mustafi has emerged as a target, according to TuttoMercatoWeb. The Serie A giants would consider an initial loan move for the defender.

    - Franck Ribery could be close to making a decision on his future. According to Fabrizio Romano, the former Bayern Munich star is in advanced talks with Fiorentina.

  • Klopp: Liverpool couldn't afford Coutinho Klopp: Liverpool couldn't afford Coutinho

    Jurgen Klopp revealed Liverpool could not afford to bring Philippe Coutinho back to Anfield as he backed the attacker to shine at Bayern Munich.

    Coutinho's move to the Bundesliga champions was confirmed on Monday, the Brazil international joining on a season-long loan from Barcelona with Bayern holding an option to buy for €120million.

    The 27-year-old had also been linked with a return to Liverpool, where he starred for five seasons before joining Barca.

    Klopp said the European champions could not spend the money required to sign Coutinho, with Bayern paying an €8.5m loan fee and the star's wages.

    "It sounds a bit strange, but we could not afford it," he said at the Sport Bild awards on Monday.

    "We have already spent the money that we got for him."

    Klopp backed Coutinho to shine for Bayern after struggling to have an impact at Barcelona.

    "He's a great player, a great boy," the former Borussia Dortmund coach said.

    "We were reluctant to sell him, but Barcelona forced us with money, so to speak.

    "He is a player who can change games for the positive. It's not that nice for Dortmund, but it's a great transfer for Bayern and the Bundesliga."

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.