AC Milan 3 Cagliari 0: Paqueta and Piatek boost Rossoneri's top-four hopes

By Sports Desk February 10, 2019

Lucas Paqueta's first AC Milan strike and another Krzysztof Piatek goal helped Gennaro Gattuso's side to a 3-0 home win over Cagliari that moved the Rossoneri back up to fourth place in the Serie A table.

Wins for Atalanta, Roma and Lazio earlier in the weekend had shunted Milan down to seventh ahead of Sunday's clash with Rolando Maran's side at San Siro.

But a freak own goal from defender Luca Ceppitelli gave Milan an early lead and their advantage was swiftly doubled by Brazilian attacker Paqueta.

Piatek wrapped up the scoring after the break with his fourth Milan goal and Gianluigi Donnarumma marked his 150th Rossoneri appearance with some fine saves in keeping a well-earned clean sheet that keeps his side's Champions League qualification hopes on track.

Milan had only won one of their past four home league games but they made a strong start, with Alessio Cragno making a smart stop to keep out Hakan Calhanoglu's powerful strike.

And Cragno was beaten in the 13th minute when his save from a Suso's shot deflected back into his own net off the arm of unfortunate Cagliari captain Ceppitelli.

Milan made it 2-0 in the 22nd minute as Paqueta scored his first goal for the club, arriving at the back post to send a controlled volley past Cragno from Davide Calabria's right-wing cross.

Donnarumma saved well from Joao Pedro before the break and the same combination resulted in a key moment on the hour.

Milan's goalkeeper parried Joao Pedro's effort and on the rebound the Cagliari striker hit the crossbar with a chip when he had to score.

That miss was soon punished as Piatek hit his 15th Serie A goal of the season, the in-form forward pouncing on the loose ball after Cragno rushed off his line to block Calhanoglu's shot.


What does it mean? Paqueta and Piatek boost Milan

The arrivals of Paqueta and Piatek have added attacking thrust to the Rossoneri at a time when they looked to be running out of steam with Gonzalo Higuain as their figurehead. Milan have only lost once since the middle of November in the league. Their momentum is growing again.


Donnarumma shines on landmark

Playing his 150th game for Milan despite being just 19, Donnarumma made a quite brilliant save low to his left to keep out Joao Pedro with his side 2-0 up. Piatek soon secured the points but had Donnarumma been beaten the door would have been open for a Cagliari comeback.


Joao Pedro tries to be too clever

Having been superbly denied by Donnarumma - who could only push the ball back out into the six-yard box - Joao Pedro should have tapped in the rebound. Instead, he tried to chip the Italy international and was left embarrassed as his overhit effort came back off the woodwork.


What's next?

Milan are away to top-four rivals Atalanta on Saturday, the same day Cagliari host Parma.

Related items

  • Koulibaly not drawn on future after Napoli loss Koulibaly not drawn on future after Napoli loss

    Napoli defender Kalidou Koulibaly refused to be drawn on his future, but played down suggestions he was too good to be in the Serie A.

    Koulibaly, 27, has been linked with a move to Manchester United and coach Carlo Ancelotti said the centre-back was worth €150million, but not for sale.

    After Napoli lost to Arsenal in the Europa League quarter-finals, the Senegal international was asked if the Serie A was enough for him.

    "Why? I grew up in this league. It's the league that made me the player I am today," Koulibaly said.

    "To me what matters most is to finish the season well, then we'll see.

    "I am sorry because we wanted to go through."

    Alexandre Lacazette's first-half goal saw Arsenal beat Napoli 1-0 in the second leg, wrapping up a 3-0 aggregate success.

    Koulibaly was saddened by his side's defeat and lamented their first-leg performance in London.

    "It's our fault, we should have been a bit tougher, have more anger to score goals, and we didn't have it," he said.

    "But at this level, when you do a wrong first half as we did the first leg, it's hard to come back. We saw it tonight and we are very sorry."

  • Manchester City lay on Wembley coaches for fans Manchester City lay on Wembley coaches for fans

    Manchester City's players will fund coach travel for supporters attending next month's FA Cup final against Watford. 

    Each member of the City first-team squad will fund a bus, making 26 in total, subject to demand. 

    "The support from our fans throughout the season has been nothing short of incredible," City captain Vincent Kompany told his club's official website. 

    "Travelling to so many games in league and cup competitions, both home and away, is not easy to do and is something that every player in our squad values and appreciates." 

    City were knocked out of the Champions League on away goals by Tottenham on Wednesday when a dramatic tie ended 4-4 on aggregate at the Etihad Stadium. 

    Pep Guardiola's team remain in contention for an unprecedented domestic treble, as they continue to march on blow-for-blow with Liverpool at the top of the Premier League after lifting the EFL Cup thanks to a penalty shoot-out triumph over Chelsea February. 

    Those exertions mean the Watford game will be City's fifth trip to Wembley this season, with supporters having criticised both high ticket prices and limited public transport provision back to Manchester from London following kick-offs in the late afternoon.

    "Although last night’s result [against Tottenham] was not the one that we had hoped for, it was very special to hear our fans in full voice for 90 minutes backing the team," Kompany added. 

    "We still have so much to fight for this season and this is our way of saying thank you to them for being with us every step of the way." 

  • Real Madrid have €500m to spend, says Capello Real Madrid have €500m to spend, says Capello

    Former Real Madrid boss Fabio Capello has claimed that his old club have €500million to spend in the transfer market.

    Los Blancos have endured a poor season, sitting 13 points off the pace in LaLiga having been humiliated by Ajax in the Champions League round of 16 and outclassed by Barcelona in the Copa del Rey semi-finals.

    Madrid have been linked with high-profile moves for Manchester United's Paul Pogba and Chelsea's Eden Hazard and Capello expects them to spend big.

    "They told me Real Madrid have €500million to spend on signings," he told Sky Sport Italia.

    "I was in Barcelona this week and someone who knows Real Madrid really well told me that."

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.