EPL

Azpilicueta apologises for Chelsea's record Premier League loss

By Sports Desk February 10, 2019

Chelsea captain Cesar Azpilicueta apologised to the club's fans after Manchester City's 6-0 win at the Etihad Stadium on Sunday.

City's demolition of the Blues was their heaviest defeat in the Premier League, making it four away losses in a row in all competitions for Maurizio Sarri's side.

Sergio Aguero hit a hat-trick, Raheem Sterling scored twice and Ilkay Gundogan was also on target as City ran riot to reclaim top spot from Liverpool.

Chelsea slipped to sixth place on goal difference and are a point behind Manchester United in fourth as the race for Champions League qualification continues.

The Blues have now lost three straight Premier League away games by an aggregate 12-0 scoreline and defender Azpilicueta acknowledged they were far from good enough.

"It is one of the worst nights in my career. It is difficult to explain what happened," he said to Sky Sports.

"The first five or six minutes went well but that is not enough. It is very frustrating and disappointing. We are conceding a lot of goals and we cannot accept that.

"When you lose 6-0 we have to accept we didn't play well and made errors. We knew it would be tough.

"When we won at Stamford Bridge [a 2-0 victory in December] it was because we played well and were together. Today was not the case.

"All I can do is apologise to the fans because it is not acceptable."

Related items

  • Khedira thanks fans for support following discovery of heart problem Khedira thanks fans for support following discovery of heart problem

    Juventus midfielder Sami Khedira has thanked fans for their support after he underwent treatment on a heart problem.

    Khedira withdrew from the squad to face Atletico Madrid in the Champions League on Wednesday following the detection of an irregular heartbeat.

    He is not expected to return until late March after Juve confirmed he had been treated successfully but the Germany international later tweeted his thanks and wished his team-mates well for their last-16 clash with Atleti at the Wanda Metropolitano.

    "I've had a successful interventional therapy today in the morning with an ablation of an arrhythmogenic atrial focus," he posted. 

    "Everything went perfectly well and I will be able to get back to work after a short rest. Thank you so much for all your messages and get well wishes!

    "A big thank you to Prof. F. Gaita as well. Now I'm wishing my team-mates all the best for tonight's game in Madrid."

    Khedira, who joined from Real Madrid in 2015, has made 15 appearances in all competitions for Juve this season.

  • Rayo facing rap after Atletico fans display alleged racist flags Rayo facing rap after Atletico fans display alleged racist flags

    Rayo Vallecano are set to be disciplined by the Royal Spanish Football Federation (RFEF) following the display of "racist and xenophobic flags" at the club's Estadio de Vallecas during the clash with Atletico Madrid, despite them appearing in the away supporters' area of the ground.

    The RFEF has initiated a disciplinary case against Rayo even though flags with racist symbols were allegedly displayed by Atletico's ultras.

    Antoine Griezmann's goal settled Saturday's LaLiga clash that ended 1-0, after which complaints were made to the RFEF's competition committee.

    A statement on RFEF's official website said: "In relation to the display of racist and xenophobic flags at the Vallecas stadium…in particular at the area occupied by the fans of Atletico de Madrid, the Department of Integrity and Security of the RFEF denounced this circumstance on Monday, February 18 to the Professional Football Competition Committee, which in its meeting today has agreed the initiation of extraordinary record against Rayo Vallecano de Madrid in its capacity as organiser of the meeting.

    "After the complaint presented to the Competition Committee on Tuesday, the State Commission was informed…this circumstance referred to the exhibition of the aforementioned flags and their denunciation to the Committee of Competition.

    "Therefore, the Competition Committee initiates disciplinary actions based exclusively on the complaint filed on the 18th by the Department of Integrity and Security of RFEF, without any other communication or denunciation having been received from other institutions or sports authorities."

  • Plaudits premature, says Milan star Piatek Plaudits premature, says Milan star Piatek

    Krzysztof Piatek insists he is not yet worthy of some of the praise that has come his way since his move to AC Milan in January.

    The Poland international has scored six goals in five matches since arriving from Genoa for a reported fee of €35million, sparking optimism that he could be the man to fire the club out of the doldrums.

    Milan's only silverware since winning the 2010-11 Serie A title is a pair of Supercoppa Italiana trophies.

    But while Piatek hopes to play his part in restoring Milan to the top of Italian and European football, he is a reluctant recipient of the early plaudits.

    "If I had all the qualities the newspapers are talking about, I'd be the best player in history," Piatek told Przeglad Sportowy. 

    "I hope that Milan will be great again thanks to me and that one day I will be really worthy of those comparisons. 

    "In my opinion certain headlines are exaggerated. I take only a part of that praise. 

    "I'm satisfied with the goals, not the fact that thanks to them I made headlines."

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.