EFL

Police make arrest after Millwall v Everton violence

By Sports Desk February 06, 2019

A man has been arrested following an investigation into the violent scenes that marred last month's FA Cup fourth-round tie between Millwall and Everton.

The Metropolitan Police has announced a 27-year-old has been bailed to return to a central London police station on February 28 on suspicion of wounding with intent, attempted grievous bodily harm and violent disorder.

Everton fan Jay Burns suffered a facial gash requiring 25 stitches when he was attacked before the match and the arrest made is in relation to "a life-changing injury one male suffered to his face during the disorder".

Detective Sergeant Matt Simpson of the Metropolitan Police's Public Order Investigation Team said: "The disorder which we witnessed on Saturday, January 26 was absolutely shocking. It involved dozens of people and lasted for a number of hours.
 
"We are carrying out a large-scale investigation into the disorder, which left at least one person with a serious injury.

"We have hours of CCTV and hundreds of images, which we are closely reviewing, and we have a team of experts working to identify those involved. 
  
"In the very near future we will be issuing images of those we want to trace and we will be asking for the media's support in doing so. We are dedicated to identifying those involved and bringing them to justice for the chaos and disruption they caused."

The Football Association is investigating allegations of racist chanting from a section of Millwall fans during the match.

Millwall condemned footage appearing to show several derogatory chants that was shared on social media as "abhorrent" and vowed to issue life ban for anyone found to be involved.

On Wednesday, the Championship club's chief executive Steve Kavanagh told talkSPORT they would close the section of the East Upper stand where the chanting came from in a bid to address problems that left he and his colleagues on the board "disgusted and very upset".

In the fifth round of the FA Cup, Millwall will travel to AFC Wimbledon following their 3-2 upset win over Everton.

Related items

  • Arsenal boss Emery wants 'three or four' new signings Arsenal boss Emery wants 'three or four' new signings

    Arsenal head coach Unai Emery said he wants to sign "three or four players" ahead of the 2019-20 Premier League season.

    It has been a quiet transfer window so far for Arsenal, who have been linked with moves for Celtic left-back Kieran Tierney, Saint-Etienne teenager William Saliba, Real Madrid's Dani Ceballos and Crystal Palace star Wilfried Zaha.

    However, Arsenal are reportedly close to signing Saliba in a deal which would see the 18-year-old loaned back to Saint-Etienne until the end of the season.

    Speaking to reporters following Arsenal's 3-0 win over Fiorentina at the International Champions Cup on Saturday, Emery said: "I am patient because we want to choose the best solution.

    "Some players are very expensive and we are waiting for this possibility because we don't want now to go to the second line of players. We are waiting and really we have very good young players.

    "We are aware we also need to improve some areas in this squad. But I only want to sign three or four players only if we can be sure they are coming to improve our squad.

    "There are a lot of names and the club is working. Edu is very close to me every day and also with the Kroenke family.

    "I want to send a message to all our supporters that we want to [build] the best squad possible."

    While Arsenal try to sign players, Eddie Nketiah has impressed on the United States tour and the 20-year-old continued his fine form against Fiorentina in Charlotte.

    After scoring a late winner against Bayern Munich on Wednesday, Nketiah netted a brace to lead Arsenal past Fiorentina in North Carolina.

    Asked if Nketiah will remain at Arsenal instead of being loaned out, Emery said: "I spoke with him and with the club. He has started with a doubt if it is better for him to stay here with us or leave to play more minutes with another team.

    "But we have examples last year of some players who wanted to go away and didn’t play all we wanted. I said to him to first be focused here. If you earn the right to be with us it’s because I can promise you that you are going to have minutes. But in those minutes you need to learn.

    "And in the pre-season at the moment he’s playing like we want. The young players who are here, this is the moment for them to show how we can use them to help us in the season."

  • Maguire not affected by United and City speculation – Morgan Maguire not affected by United and City speculation – Morgan

    Leicester City star Harry Maguire has not been affected by links to Manchester United and Manchester City, insisted captain Wes Morgan.

    Maguire has emerged as a target for Manchester neighbours United and City, with the Red Devils reportedly the favourites to sign the England centre-back.

    Leicester have rejected two bids for Maguire, who is thought to be valued at £80million by the Premier League side, as the 26-year-old's future continues to dominate headlines.

    Amid the transfer rumours, Leicester defender Morgan said in-demand team-mate Maguire has not changed.

    "He has been the same Harry that we know and love," said Morgan. "You can see in the games he's putting 100 per cent effort into everything he does and his quality is there for everyone to see. 

    "I don't know what's going to happen in the future but for now he's still a Leicester player and we enjoy having him here. He's said nothing.

    "There's going to be speculation because he's a top-class player who has done well at international level. Big teams are going to take an interest and that goes for many of our top players. People want our best players and he is one of them.

    "In training, it's the same old banter, the same old training. He's part of Leicester so we just treat him the same."

     

  • Bale close to leaving Real Madrid – Zidane Bale close to leaving Real Madrid – Zidane

    Zinedine Zidane said Gareth Bale is close to leaving Real Madrid after he was left out of Saturday's International Champions Cup clash against Bayern Munich.

    Bale has been deemed surplus to requirements by head coach Zidane and the Welsh star was absent as Madrid lost 3-1 to Bayern in Houston.

    The 30-year-old, who has three seasons remaining on his contract, has been linked to former club Tottenham, Manchester United and Bayern.

    And Bale's future is close to being resolved, with Zidane determined to sell the Wales international sooner rather than later.

    Asked why Bale was left out of the squad on Saturday, Zidane told reporters: "Bale did not play because he is very close to leaving.

    "We hope he leaves soon, it would be best for everyone. We are working on his transfer to a new team."

    "I have nothing personal against him, but there comes a time where things are done because they must be done, I have to make decisions, we have to change," he added.

    "The exit is the coach's decision, and also of the player, who knows the situation.

    "The situation will change, I do not know if in 24 or 48 hours, but it will, and it's a good thing for everyone."

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.