Bayern have Lewandowski cover - Rummenigge calm over Wagner sale

By Sports Desk February 01, 2019

Karl-Heinz Rummenigge is not concerned by the prospect of Robert Lewandowski being Bayern Munich's only recognised out-and-out striker for the remainder of the season.

Bayern sanctioned the sale of Sandro Wagner on Wednesday, just a year on from his arrival from Hoffenheim, after the Germany international received a lucrative offer from Chinese Super League side Tianjin Teda.

With Bayern trailing leaders Borussia Dortmund by six points in the Bundesliga table, and still competing in the DFB-Pokal and Champions League, the decision to sell without drafting in a replacement came as a surprise to some.

But Bayern chairman Rummenigge is confident the likes of Thomas Muller or Serge Gnabry could fill the void should something happen to Lewandowski.

"Sandro asked [to leave] because he had an offer from China with an incredibly high salary," Rummenigge told reporters.

"We discussed that with the coach and Niko Kovac thought that with Thomas Muller and Serge Gnabry, in case of doubt, we have alternatives.

"But Robert Lewandowski has never been injured at Bayern Munich since 2014."

Rummenigge also accepted Bayern face a tough task to hunt down a Dortmund side who have lost just once in the league this season.

"Borussia Dortmund are playing a very good and very stable season," he added. 

"Catching them up there again will be very difficult, but we will work to keep the tension at the top alive."

Related items

  • Rumour Has It: Barcelona players losing confidence in Valverde Rumour Has It: Barcelona players losing confidence in Valverde

    Ernesto Valverde is facing a big week at Barcelona.

    Valverde is under pressure early in the season after Barca slumped to a 2-0 loss at Granada to be left with just seven points from their opening five games of the LaLiga season.

    Now, the next week is shaping as crucial for Valverde.

     

    TOP STORY – BARCELONA PLAYERS LOSING CONFIDENCE IN VALVERDE

    Several Barcelona players have started to lose confidence in Valverde, according to ESPN.

    With seven points from five league games, Barcelona have made their worst start to a season since 1994-95.

    Monday's cover of Sport says Valverde needs an urgent reaction, with his side hosting Villarreal on Tuesday and visiting Getafe four days later.

     

    ROUND-UP

    Barcelona are keeping an eye on Napoli midfielder Fabian Ruiz. Barca's sporting director Eric Abidal was present as Fabian scored in Napoli's 4-1 win over Lecce on Saturday, according to Calciomercato.

    AC Milan want to strengthen at right-back and are considering Tottenham defender Serge Aurier, according to Sportmediaset, amid suggestions Andrea Conti is struggling to impress.

    Jose Mourinho has had chances to return to management and the former Real Madrid and Manchester United boss apparently turned down a surprise opportunity last year. Fichajes reports Boca Juniors tried to convince Mourinho to take over, but the Portuguese tactician said he was not yet ready to leave Europe.

    Everton have made a slow start to the Premier League season and are assessing ways to strengthen their attack. The Daily Express reports they are interested in signing Yussuf Poulsen from RB Leipzig. The Denmark international scored 15 Bundesliga goals last season.

  • Ten-man Molynes United stay perfect with win over Arnett Gardens Ten-man Molynes United stay perfect with win over Arnett Gardens

    Newly promoted Molynes United maintained a perfect start to the new Red Stripe Premier League (RSPL) after slipping by former champions Arnett Gardens, despite going down to ten men, at the Waterhouse Stadium on Sunday.

    Nicholas Nelson gave the home team the lead in the lead in the 18th minute but was dramatically sent from the pitch only two minutes after.  His ejection left Arnett with a one-man advantage and plenty of time to turn the game around.  The team seemed to be well on their way to doing just that when Vishineul Harris equalised two minutes in the second half.

    The hosts, however, had more surprises as Tyrique Wilson fired them back into the lead in the 65th minute.  To make matters worse for Arnett, they were themselves reduced to ten men when Kimani Arbourine was sent off in the 82nd minute.  The win marked a fourth in a row for Molynes who top the RSPL standings with 12 points.

    At Harbour View Stadium, defending champions Portmore United secured their first win of the season with a 2-1 win over struggling Harbour View. 

    At the Edward Seaga Stadium, Tivoli Gardens snapped a three-game losing streak to start the season when they defeated Cavalier 2-0.  The match seemed to be headed for an even share of the points but the dismissal of Tivoli’s Clifton Woodbine gave the home team added impetus. 

    Rodrico Wellington gave Tivoli the lead six minutes later before Donovan Dawkins secured the home team their first win of the season in the 88th minute.

    At the Royal Lakes Complex, Dean-Andre Thomas scored a brace to ensure Dunbeholden kept the momentum from a narrow win over Portmore United last week, with a 2-0 win over newcomers Vere United.  Thomas scored from the penalty spot in the 40th minute before adding a second in the 83rd.

    At Effortville, Humble Lion and Waterhouse played to a 0-0 draw.

  • Icardi: I left Inter for PSG to win trophies Icardi: I left Inter for PSG to win trophies

    Mauro Icardi said he left Inter for Ligue 1 champions Paris Saint-Germain to win titles.

    Icardi moved to PSG on an initial season-long loan, with the French giants reportedly holding the option to buy the striker for €70million.

    The 26-year-old, who arrived at Inter from Sampdoria in 2013, scored 111 Serie A goals and 124 goals in all competitions to be eighth on the Nerazzurri's all-time list.

    Icardi – stripped of the Inter captaincy last season and frozen out by head coach Antonio Conte – said the time was right to leave San Siro.

    "I came here to play," Icardi told Canal+. "If you arrive with an option to buy, you know the player has to give his best to ensure the club decides to purchase him outright. We'll see what happens next summer.

    "I was in my seventh year at Inter and my dream was to play in the Champions League with Inter, which I did last season, but we never won anything.

    "I thought the time had come for me to go to a winning club, one that could challenge for and win titles. It's time for me to start winning.

    "The truth is that PSG is a squad full of champions and that is what I wanted."

    Icardi made his debut in PSG's 1-0 win over Strasbourg on September 14 before starting in last week's memorable 3-0 Champions League victory against Real Madrid.

    However, the Argentina international missed Sunday's late triumph at Ligue 1 rivals Lyon.

    "People call me a 'killer' in the penalty area. I am always ready in the box to score goals," Icardi added. "Ever since my debut when very young for Rosario, my objective and obsession has always been to score goals."

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.