EFL

Mikel joins Middlesbrough on short-term deal

By Sports Desk January 24, 2019

John Obi Mikel has joined Middlesbrough on a short-term deal, the Championship club have confirmed.

The 31-year-old has finalised his move to the Riverside Stadium after leaving Chinese side Tianjin Teda at the end of the Super League season in November.

Mikel is Boro's second signing this month, following the loan arrival of Rajiv van La Parra from Huddersfield Town.

The midfielder spent 11 years in England with Chelsea, winning two Premier League titles, three FA Cups, the EFL Cup, the Europa League and the Champions League.

The Nigeria international, who played at last year's World Cup, had been linked with moves to Ligue 1 and the Bundesliga, as well as Saudi Arabian side Al Nassr, before agreeing to sign for Boro.

Tony Pulis' side sit fifth in the Championship table after 28 matches, seven points behind leaders Leeds United.

Related items

  • Rumour Has It: Barca, Madrid and Liverpool targeting Napoli's Fabian Rumour Has It: Barca, Madrid and Liverpool targeting Napoli's Fabian

    There could be a fight to prise Fabian Ruiz from Napoli.

    Fabian has established himself as one of Europe's premier midfielders and the Spaniard is reportedly attracting interest.

    Two LaLiga giants and the Champions League holders are said to be eyeing Fabian.

     

    TOP STORY - THREE-WAY BATTLE FOR FABIAN

    Barcelona, Real Madrid and Liverpool are chasing Napoli star Fabian Ruiz, according to the Daily Mail.

    Fabian swapped Real Betis for Napoli in 2018 and the Spain international has quickly become one of Europe's most sought-after midfielders.

    Now three of the biggest clubs in the world are reportedly eyeing the 23-year-old.

    ROUND-UP

    - The Sun reports Manchester United are preparing a January move for Bournemouth striker Callum Wilson. The Red Devils have limited options up front following the departures of Romelu Lukaku and Alexis Sanchez. Wilson, who has already scored three goals this season, fits the bill at Old Trafford as manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer eyes talented English players.

    Juventus, Liverpool and Manchester City are all interested in Real Madrid playmaker Isco, claims Calciomercato.

    Barcelona are set to offer 16-year-old sensation Ansu Fati a new five-year deal to fend off interest from European rivals, claims the Daily Mail.

    - League One side Southend United want to hire former Celtic, Barca and Manchester United striker Henrik Larsson as their manager, says the Daily Mail. Southend are second bottom in the league after eight games, while Larsson was last in charge of Helsingborg before quitting in August.

    - According to Globo Esporte, Flamengo are negotiating to bring Fredy Guarin to the club. The 33-year-old former Inter midfielder is a free agent after leaving Chinese side Shanghai Shenhua.

  • Sancho: My future? I just want to do well with Dortmund Sancho: My future? I just want to do well with Dortmund

    Jadon Sancho said he does not know what the future holds but the Borussia Dortmund star wants to win titles with the German side amid growing links to Manchester United.

    Sancho has reportedly emerged as United's top transfer target following previous speculation over a move to Old Trafford during the off-season.

    The 19-year-old England international produced another impressive display as Dortmund drew 0-0 with Barcelona in their Champions League opener on Tuesday.

    Asked about his future post-game, Sancho told Viasport: "I can't tell the future. I just take it game by game. I just wanna give 100 per cent for Borussia Dortmund.

    "I really wanna do well with Dortmund. Obviously I want to win titles and give everything."

    Sancho has established himself as one of Europe's best talents after leaving Premier League champions Manchester City in 2017.

    He scored 12 goals and supplied 14 assists as Dortmund finished runners-up to Bayern Munich in the Bundesliga last season, while Sancho already has two goals and four league assists this term.

    "It's crazy. Everything has come so fast," Sancho told Viasat. "But I have a great team. They keep me humbled. I just take it game by game and give 100 per cent."

    Dortmund sporting director Michael Zorc was asked about Sancho prior to the goalless draw against LaLiga champions Barca on Tuesday.

    "We didn't talk to them [United]," Zorc told Viasport. "They were asking us for a meeting [during the off-season]. Sancho is not for sale."

  • Was ISSA's handling of lightning strike incident adequate enough? Was ISSA's handling of lightning strike incident adequate enough?
© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.