EPL

Leeds boss Bielsa admits sending spy to Derby

By Sports Desk January 11, 2019

Marcelo Bielsa has accepted full responsibility for the Leeds United spying scandal but showed no remorse in a remarkable defence of his actions.

The Football Association (FA) is to investigate the incident after Derby County - ahead of Friday's Championship clash between the clubs - claimed a man caught by police acting "suspiciously" near their training ground was a Leeds employee.

Law enforcement personnel were called to Derby's training centre on Thursday after concerns about the behaviour of the individual outside the premises.

Police confirmed a man was found and questioned at the perimeter fence of the complex, before being sent on his way with no arrest made.

Media reports claimed the man involved was a "spy" sent by Leeds and Bielsa confirmed those allegations, revealing that he personally sent the man in question without notifying the club.

"It's true that there was someone from Leeds," Bielsa told Sky Sports. "The responsibility is with me.

"There are some decisions I need to give, it doesn't matter if it is legal or not. For me it is enough that Derby and [Rams boss] Frank [Lampard] felt it was not the right thing to do and that we didn't behave well.

"Yesterday I talked to Frank and, for him, he felt I didn't respect fair play rules. I have a different point of view on it.

"But the important thing is what Frank and Derby think of it.

"I'm the only person responsible for it because I didn't ask the permission of the club to do it.

"Without trying to find a justification, I've been using these practices since the qualifications for the World Cup with Argentina. 

"This is not unlawful, we've been doing it publicly, we talk about it in the press. For some it's the wrong thing and for some it's not."

Thursday's discussion between the pair did little to placate Lampard, who struggled to hide his anger in his own pre-match interview with Sky.

The former Chelsea and England midfield also claimed Leeds sent a spy to Derby training before the sides met in August at Pride Park – a game United won 4-1.

"If we're going to start talking about 'culturally I did it somewhere else and it was fine', then that doesn't work for me because I don't believe it is fine on that level," Lampard said.

"It's disrupted our build-up to this game and the unfortunate thing for us is it disrupted us at our end without us doing anything.

"People are going to say I'm standing here trying to make an excuse pre-game – I will speak like this after the game and more if I have to, win lose or draw, because of what's happened.

"What I will say is we were training the day before the game on team tactics, team shape, personnel, how we're going to press, how we're going to work off the ball.

"If somebody wants to say that's not relevant and that won't affect a game… if tactics aren't relevant then Pep Guardiola, [Mauricio] Pochettino, Jurgen Klopp and all the great managers, they're just lucky."

Lampard added: "Obviously it's not just Derby County. We had somebody the day before our first game against them that we lost 4-1.

"Now, Leeds can beat you 4-1 – they're a fantastic team. But we had someone in the bushes that day. It's twice this season now.

"The man was asked to leave but it wasn't followed up like it was this time."

Leeds are top of the Championship table despite losing their past three games in all competitions, while Derby occupy the final play-off spot in sixth.

Related items

  • Pellegrini: Arnautovic available for the right price Pellegrini: Arnautovic available for the right price

    Manuel Pellegrini admitted West Ham would consider selling Marko Arnautovic if the price is right.

    The forward has been linked with a move to the Chinese Super League and his brother and agent recently said Arnautovic was keen for a transfer to go through.

    Last week, West Ham issued a statement prior to their Premier League game against Arsenal insisting the Austrian was not for sale.

    However, Arnautovic appeared to wave goodbye to supporters at the London Stadium when he was substituted during the win over the Gunners, and Pellegrini has now suggested that stance may soften were an acceptable bid to come in.

    "When you have such a high offer, everyone wants to leave but he has a contract here," the Hammers boss told reporters.

    "We will know what will happen about it in the coming days.

    "If I say the player must stay, the player will stay. But I think as a manager the best thing is to take the solution that is best for the player and the club, both together.

    "If it's a good deal for both parties we will arrange to be without Marko."

  • Jamaica international Gordon seals deal with USL club OKC Energy Jamaica international Gordon seals deal with USL club OKC Energy

    Jamaica international Omar Gordon has joined USL Championship club OKC Energy in a move away from Jamaican Premier League club Montego Bay United.

    The 27-year-old striker is fresh from completing a loan spell at USL Western Conference team San Antonio where he made a solid impression.  Gordon scored six goals in seven appearances and notched four assists.

    Locally, Gordon made a measurable impression with 125 appearances for Montego Bay United, a club he joined in 2011.  He scored 37 goals and helped the club to the Jamaican National Premier League title in 2014 and 2016.

    Energy FC Head Coach Steve Cooke admitted he was pleased to have acquired the player’s services.

    “Having watched him at close quarters playing for San Antonio last year, we always knew he was a threat against us, “Cooke said.

    “He’s big, he’s strong, he’s powerful and he’s got the pace to get in behind – great 1-v-1 attacking defenders. I think he can contribute goals, assists and really take the game to the other teams.”

    Gordon has also previously competed on loan in the United States with Indy Eleven during the 2016 season when he recorded three goals in 20 appearances for the club. 

  • Everton do not have financial conditions to enter transfer market - Silva Everton do not have financial conditions to enter transfer market - Silva

    Everton do not have the "financial conditions" to sign players in the January transfer window, according to Marco Silva.

    The Toffees are 10th in the Premier League having responded to back-to-back defeats to Brighton and Hove Albion and Leicester City with a 2-0 home victory over Bournemouth.

    Reports suggest their forward line is set to be depleted with Oumar Niasse said to be nearing a loan move to Cardiff City.

    But they may not be able replace the forward, with boss Silva telling reporters: "When you asked me the last few weeks the possible players coming or not in the market, I told you that you just can't sign someone if someone leaves the club or we sell someone.

    "We don't have the financial conditions to go in the market, [that] is the feedback I have at the moment. I have to find different solutions."

    Everton are thought to be keen on signing Michy Batshuayi from Chelsea following his struggles while out on loan at Valencia during the first half of the campaign.

    However, Silva added: "It is not the moment for us to talk about player A, B, C or D [and] if they could interest our model as a team.

    "We have to work with the players we have here, develop them, let them get better every day. This is our job.

    "What can happen in the market you know already, what are our possibilities as a club and my possibilities as a manager to do or not."

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.