EPL

December PL awards 'icing on the cake' for Klopp and Van Dijk

By Sports Desk January 11, 2019

Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp celebrated "the icing on the cake" after he and Virgil van Dijk won the Premier League's monthly awards for a flawless December.

The league-leading Reds won seven games from seven for the month as they built a seven-point advantage over champions Manchester City at the end of the calendar year.

City subsequently began 2019 by beating Liverpool to trim that lead, but Manager of the Month Klopp was still able to reflect on a superb month as he collected his award on Friday.

"It's nice, the icing on the cake," he said. "It was a very successful but difficult month.

"Each game felt like the most important one of the season. It was unbelievable. The intensity was massive but that's what made it a special month."

Van Dijk took the Player of the Month honours and had been the subject of praise from his manager earlier in the day ahead of the trip to Brighton and Hove Albion.

"Virgil has outstanding potential," Klopp told a news conference. "He is a fantastic person, he is physically strong and he has all the technical things you need.

"There are so many things that are already good and many things he can also improve. I don't have to judge him now and compare him to other players in the past."

Related items

  • Barcelona 3 Levante 0 (4-2 agg): Dembele at the double as Barca advance Barcelona 3 Levante 0 (4-2 agg): Dembele at the double as Barca advance

    Ousmane Dembele's brace and a second-half goal from Lionel Messi ensured Barcelona beat Levante 3-0 at Camp Nou, as they comfortably overturned a first-leg deficit to progress to the Copa del Rey quarter-finals.

    Trailing 2-1 in the tie, Ernesto Valverde handed a start to Messi and he played a part in both of Dembele's goals before making sure of the aggregate victory by finding the net himself just after the break.

    However, Levante president Quico Catalan had already said his club will challenge Barcelona's progression, with reports in Spain suggesting the LaLiga champions fielded an ineligible player in the previous meeting.

    Defender Chumi featured in that game, even though he had been due to serve a suspension after picking up five bookings in the Segunda Division B, and Catalan told reporters prior to kick-off on Thursday that Levante would lodge an official complaint to the Royal Spanish Football Federation.

    The selection of Messi, who did not feature in the first leg, was an indication of Barcelona's intent to progress, and the Argentinian twice came close to scoring in the opening 25 minutes, with goalkeeper Aitor Fernandez parrying away a free-kick before diverting another try wide with his foot.

    Yet Barca soon went ahead on aggregate as Dembele benefitted from two moments of good fortune to score twice in as many minutes.

    First, the ball looped up off the Frenchman and went in following Erick Cabaco's desperate slide tackle, before Dembele's weak finish from a tight angle was helped in by Fernandez's foot to make it 2-0.

    Messi was then played in by Dembele only to see his effort from point-blank range denied by Fernandez, the keeper then thwarting Philippe Coutinho and Messi again before the break.

    Barca's aggregate lead was only a solitary goal until Messi finally got on the scoresheet nine minutes into the second half.

    Dembele was involved as he threaded a superb pass through to Nelson Semedo, who squared the ball for Messi to slot past Fernandez for the home side's third.

    A hat-trick alluded Dembele, though, as he fired just wide late on, while the woodwork denied Emmanuel Boateng scoring for Levante in stoppage time.
     

    What does it mean? Barca through, for now

    Levante president Catalan's comments prior to kick-off did not serve as a distraction to Barcelona, who did the job on the pitch. As it stands, they will be in Friday's last-eight draw, though the powers-that-be may have something to say about that.

    Dembele at the double

    He only scored four times in his debut campaign at Camp Nou but Dembele already has a dozen in 2018-19. There was a degree of luck in both of the 21-year-old's first-half goals, but his link-up play with Messi suggests he is beginning to feel more at home.

    Chance to impress passes Coutinho by

    Dembele is not the only one to have experienced early struggles in his Barcelona career, with Coutinho as yet failing to hit the same heights he reached at Liverpool prior to his January 2018 move. The Brazilian, who was withdrawn for Luis Suarez just after the hour mark, has still not scored from open play since October.

    What's next?

    Leaders Barcelona will look to make it seven wins in a row in LaLiga when they host Leganes on Sunday, with Levante hosting Real Valladolid on the same day.

  • Levante to lodge complaint over Barcelona Copa selection Levante to lodge complaint over Barcelona Copa selection

    Levante president Quico Catalan has confirmed his club will lodge an official complaint to the Spanish Football Federation over their Copa del Rey tie with Barcelona, with reports suggesting the LaLiga champions fielded an ineligible player in the first leg.

    Barca slipped to a surprise 2-1 loss in the first meeting last week, their first defeat in all competitions since a 4-3 reverse at home to Real Betis last November.

    Ernesto Valverde named a much-changed line-up for that fixture, including selecting Chumi in his starting XI.

    However, the Barcelona B defender was due to serve a suspension after picking up five bookings in the Segunda Division B.

    The return leg was held at Camp Nou on Thursday and Catalan confirmed Levante will go the authorities and make a legal case over the matter, regardless of whether they advance or not.

    "It is not an easy situation, us sporting people like to win on the pitch," Catalan said to reporters prior to kick-off.

    "Whatever happens, Levante will go before the federation with this situation tomorrow (Friday).

    "There will be a complaint if we do not qualify. And if we do, there will be a report to the federation to explain what has happened.

    "We understand there is sufficient precedent which allows Levante to, unfortunately, go ahead to the Federation with these facts.

    "Our legal department will keep working and will work all night to prepare the details of the statement we will send tomorrow. But we understand that we have the precedent and the solid foundations to do so."

  • Everton do not have financial conditions to enter transfer market - Silva Everton do not have financial conditions to enter transfer market - Silva

    Everton do not have the "financial conditions" to sign players in the January transfer window, according to Marco Silva.

    The Toffees are 10th in the Premier League having responded to back-to-back defeats to Brighton and Hove Albion and Leicester City with a 2-0 home victory over Bournemouth.

    Reports suggest their forward line is set to be depleted with Oumar Niasse said to be nearing a loan move to Cardiff City.

    But they may not be able replace the forward, with boss Silva telling reporters: "When you asked me the last few weeks the possible players coming or not in the market, I told you that you just can't sign someone if someone leaves the club or we sell someone.

    "We don't have the financial conditions to go in the market, [that] is the feedback I have at the moment. I have to find different solutions."

    Everton are thought to be keen on signing Michy Batshuayi from Chelsea following his struggles while out on loan at Valencia during the first half of the campaign.

    However, Silva added: "It is not the moment for us to talk about player A, B, C or D [and] if they could interest our model as a team.

    "We have to work with the players we have here, develop them, let them get better every day. This is our job.

    "What can happen in the market you know already, what are our possibilities as a club and my possibilities as a manager to do or not."

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.