EPL

Injured Lovren banned for social media post

By Sports Desk January 11, 2019

Dejan Lovren has been given a one-match ban by UEFA for comments made on social media following Croatia's Nations League win over Spain.

Having already criticised Sergio Ramos in the build-up to the game in November, the Liverpool man was filmed in an Instagram video calling the Spain squad "p******", before uploading a picture of him beating Ramos in an aerial duel in a separate post.

Ramos had attempted to defuse the feud in a pre-game news conference, insisting he had no interest in responding to the initial criticism, but Lovren claimed Luis Enrique's side lacked class in defeat.

"We showed bigger balls than them," the 29-year-old told reporters after full-time.

"They were rude on the pitch, no fair play. We lost [the reverse fixture] 6-0 but were fair.

"Only [Alvaro] Morata congratulated us now. I've never experienced that and I am glad because they thought they were bigger than us and we proved them wrong."

UEFA found him guilty of insulting behaviour and suspended him for Croatia's Euro 2020 qualifier against Azerbaijan on March 21.

Lovren was a mainstay at the heart of the Croatia defence that reached the World Cup final in July and has largely impressed in Liverpool establishing a four-point lead at the top of the Premier League.

The 29-year-old will miss Saturday's trip to Brighton and Hove Albion, however, after sustaining a hamstring problem early in Monday's FA Cup defeat at Wolves.

Asked how long he would be out, Reds boss Jurgen Klopp said: "I don’t know. It is serious otherwise he would play, but it is not that serious. It is a muscle thing and I would expect him back after maybe Crystal Palace, I am not sure. We have to see.”

Related items

  • Solskjaer: Lukaku is big part of Man United squad Solskjaer: Lukaku is big part of Man United squad

    Manchester United caretaker manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer insisted Romelu Lukaku is a "big part" of his squad, despite the Belgian striker finding himself on the bench at Old Trafford.

    Lukaku has only started one match since Solskjaer replaced Jose Mourinho last month - a FA Cup third-round victory over Reading - amid a six-game winning streak.

    The Belgium international has made three substitute appearances in the Premier League, scoring twice, as Solskjaer prefers a front three of Marcus Rashford, Anthony Martial and Jesse Lingard.

    However, Solskjaer said Lukaku remains an important member of United's side ahead of Saturday's clash with Brighton and Hove Albion.

    "He's a big part of the squad, definitely, with his personality around the place," Solskjaer said. "There's no one scoring as many goals as him in training. 

    "There are the three who play the most but then you've got [Romelu Lukaku], you've got Juan [Mata], you've got Alexis [Sanchez], so I've got a front six I can rotate with and Rom is definitely going to be playing games."

    Solskjaer, whose in-form United are sixth and level on points with fifth-placed Arsenal, continued: "I used to be one of four strikers when we played with two. Now we have six forwards and we play with three most of the time.

    "We'll be OK to be able to rotate and there’s enough games and playing time. 

    "It's about taking the chances when you get them, and to be fair, Rom has scored three already and Marcus has scored three. Paul [Pogba]'s scored four since I came here. It's up to the strikers to take them."

  • Chelsea not ready to rest Jorginho - Sarri Chelsea not ready to rest Jorginho - Sarri

    Maurizio Sarri will avoid resting a tiring Jorginho because he believes Chelsea are not ready for the tactical change the midfielder's absence would force.

    Italy international Jorginho has started all but one of the club's Premier League fixtures to date and has featured 25 times in all competitions.

    Cesc Fabregas' departure for Monaco has left Chelsea with no natural alternative at the base of midfield and Sarri admitted a heavy workload is beginning to affect his deep-lying playmaker.

    The Blues are reportedly chasing Zenit Saint Petersburg's Leandro Paredes to provide Jorginho with relief but, for now, the 27-year-old will be asked to continue, with Sarri opposing a switch that might accommodate two holding midfielders.

    "We are not ready to change at the moment," Sarri said.

    "I can change when we are at 100 per cent in what I want to see. If [using] a 4-3-3 we are at the top, we can try to change. But not at the moment.

    "It's very difficult to say a percentage but, in England, it's very difficult to arrive at the top because this one was the first week without three matches since August.

    "So, for the first time in the last four months, we had time to try to improve. So it's not easy in this situation to improve a lot in such little time.

    "Jorginho has played with me for four seasons. It's very difficult for him to improve more. He played very well for 20 matches, I think.

    "Now, maybe, in the last two matches he was a little bit tired. He moved the ball a little bit slowly than before. But I think that it's normal.

    "You cannot stay at the top for 60 matches, so it's normal to have a different period, a period when you are not so lucid as usual. But it's not a big problem. Of course, it's the reason I said we needed a replacement for Cesc."

    Chelsea could secure at least one new arrival in the near future with Gonzalo Higuain, on loan at AC Milan from Juventus, believed to be on the cusp of swapping San Siro for Stamford Bridge.

    The striker flourished under Sarri at Napoli but the Blues boss distanced himself from being a factor in the success of transfer market moves, insisting his position does not rely on the effectiveness of new arrivals.

    "Not at all. I don't think so. My job is on the pitch," he said.

    "I don't want to be involved because I want to spend my energy on something different, on the pitch. Otherwise, for me, it's a problem. If I spend 50 per cent of my mental energy on something different, I am in trouble on the pitch."

  • Norwich City 3 Birmingham City 1: Canaries end winless run to go second Norwich City 3 Birmingham City 1: Canaries end winless run to go second

    Norwich City moved back into the Championship's top two with a 3-1 victory over play-off hopefuls Birmingham City at Carrow Road on Friday.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.