UEFA could ban Manchester City from 2019-20 Champions League over FFP

By Sports Desk December 04, 2018

Manchester City could potentially be banned from next season's Champions League due to alleged Financial Fair Play (FFP) breaches, with UEFA president Aleksander Ceferin say an investigation could be concluded: "very soon".

German magazine Der Spiegel made a number of claims against City last month in a series of articles based on documents purportedly attained from whistleblowers Football Leaks.

Der Spiegel's reporting accused Sheikh Mansour's City regime of topping up multi-million-pound sponsorship deals with Abu Dhabi companies, using their owner's fortune, in order to meet UEFA's FFP stipulations.

Further allegations claimed City were cut a favourable FFP settlement when they were punished for overspending by UEFA in 2014.

The Premier League champions dismissed the stories and said: "the attempt to damage the club's reputation is organised and clear".

UEFA said soon after that it could re-open investigations should more information become available to them, and Ceferin this week referred to City's case as "concrete", with findings expected in the near future after media reports suggested a Champions League ban is a possibility.

"We are assessing the situation," he told reporters in Dublin. "We have an independent body working on it. Very soon you will have an answer on what will happen in this concrete case."

FIFA president Gianni Infantino was UEFA general secretary at the time of City's 2014 FFP settlement and defended the agreements reached with them and Ligue 1 giants Paris Saint-Germain

"Our goal at UEFA was always to keep the clubs with us, not to kick them out, so you negotiate and seek solutions. That was my job as general secretary," he told Swiss publication Blick last month.

"The fact is, in the history of FFP, 30 violations have been detected. With all but one club, there were agreements - agreements and negotiations are expressly allowed."

Related items

  • Mourinho created unhealthy atmosphere – Sanchez Mourinho created unhealthy atmosphere – Sanchez

    Alexis Sanchez said former Manchester United manager Jose Mourinho created an unhealthy atmosphere at Old Trafford.

    Mourinho was sacked in December and replaced by caretaker boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer amid reports of dressing-room unrest at United.

    Sanchez was lured from Premier League rivals Arsenal to United by Mourinho in January last year, however, the 30-year-old forward fell out of favour prior to the Portuguese's departure.

    Chile international Sanchez – who has only scored five goals in all competitions since arriving in Manchester – said he lost his confidence under Mourinho.

    "Mourinho is one of the best coaches in the world, in the way that he coaches, how he studies videos, the way he goes about things," Sanchez told the BBC.

    "But within the group there was that feeling that you were in the team, then out. Sometimes I didn't play, then I did, then I didn't and as a player you lose confidence.

    "Then an atmosphere was created that wasn't healthy."

    Sanchez, who is in doubt for United's FA Cup fifth-round trip to Chelsea on Monday, added: "I've played football since I was five and if I have the ball taken away from me, it's as if I lose my joy."

  • Robben: Anfield is the worst stadium Robben: Anfield is the worst stadium

    Bayern Munich veteran Arjen Robben said Anfield is his "worst stadium" ahead of the Champions League last-16 tie against Liverpool.

    Bundesliga champions Bayern will travel to last season's runners-up and Premier League leaders Liverpool for the first leg on Tuesday.

    Robben – who will leave Bayern at the end of the season – has some unhappy memories of Anfield from his time with Chelsea.

    Chelsea were edged 1-0 on aggregate by eventual winners Liverpool in the 2004-05 Champions League semi-finals, while Robben and his team-mates lost on penalties to the Reds at the same stage of the tournament in 2006-07.

    "I think, if you ask [about] the worst stadium for me, it's probably Liverpool," the 35-year-old Dutch winger told The Guardian. "You always have your favourite opponent and there always has to be a negative one."

    Reflecting on the two semi-final defeats to Liverpool in Europe, Robben added: "At that time [Liverpool] were really capable of being this cup fighter team, also in the FA Cup or [League] Cup.

    "In one or two games they could really live up to it and perform; just not the whole season, which was maybe too much. That was their biggest quality: they were there at the moment they needed to be there.

    "Now I think it changed and they developed really well. The manager has done a great job. Last year they were in the Champions League final and at the moment they are top [of the Premier League]. It's a long, long time ago that they won the league and that's the one they're dreaming of."

     

  • Valverde not nervous about Messi penalties after spot-kick miss Valverde not nervous about Messi penalties after spot-kick miss

    Barcelona head coach Ernesto Valverde is not worried about Lionel Messi taking penalties after the superstar scored one and failed to convert another against Real Valladolid.

    It was a mixed evening for Messi at Camp Nou, where the Barca captain's 43rd-minute penalty led the LaLiga leaders to a 1-0 victory on Saturday.

    Messi – who has scored 30 or more goals in each of his last 11 seasons in all competitions for Barca – should have had a second but the five-time Ballon d'Or winner saw his 85th-minute spot-kick kept out by Jordi Masip.

    "No, no, I'm not particularly nervous. I was convinced he was going to score both," Valverde replied when asked if he was anxious about Messi taking penalties.

    "Leo is a safe bet. He could have scored more goals as well."

    Barca were far from their best but the defending champions still managed to get past visitors Valladolid as they returned to winning ways.

    Three consecutive draws against Valencia and Athletic Bilbao in LaLiga, and Real Madrid in the Copa del Rey semi-finals, raised eyebrows and while Valverde acknowledged Barca's shortcomings on Saturday, he is confident his side will rediscover their best.

    Barca travel to French side Lyon for the opening leg of their Champions League last-16 tie on Tuesday.

    "In the first half, we had very little fluidity in attack and did not move the ball with the necessary speed," Valverde told reporters.

    "They changed their system and we were not fluent and could not circulate things quickly but their goalkeeper did well. Some games are won like that, though, and Tuesday [against Lyon] will be another challenge for us.

    "I see the team as being ready to give their best now and get back to that. Sometimes you won't be brilliant in every game but there are four important matches coming up and we will go step by step."

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.