Madrid boosted as Bale makes Wales squad after clear scan

By Sports Desk October 04, 2018

Real Madrid have received a boost with Gareth Bale included in the Wales squad to face Spain and Republic of Ireland after a groin scan showed no sign of injury.

Bale went off at half-time in Madrid's 0-0 draw against Atletico Madrid in LaLiga last weekend and was left out for the surprise Champions League loss at CSKA Moscow on Tuesday. 

Reports in the Spanish media claimed the injury was not serious and he would be available to face Deportivo Alaves this weekend, which Giggs revealed the 29-year-old expects to be the case.

"He had a little groin strain, but the scan has come back clear. He expects to be involved at the weekend so that's good," said Giggs.

Bale could then feature against Madrid colleagues including Nacho Fernandez and Sergio Ramos when Spain visit Cardiff next Thursday, but the Wales boss was unwilling to make any guarantees over his selection.

He said: "I think every player's motivation will be high for a number of reasons; playing for your country first and foremost, you're playing against a very good team, it's a chance to test yourself and it's at a different stadium.

"With Gareth playing in Spain there will be added motivation for sure.

"I think every player will want to be involved in this game because it's a fantastic game. It's my decision. I'll analyse the lads, what they're like when they turn up."

 

Wales squad in full:

Wayne Hennessey (Crystal Palace), Danny Ward (Leicester City), Adam Davies (Barnsley); Ashley Williams (Stoke City), James Chester (Aston Villa), Ben Davies (Tottenham), Chris Gunter (Reading), Connor Roberts (Swansea City), Chris Mepham (Brentford), Jazz Richards (Cardiff City), Ethan Ampadu (Chelsea), Paul Dummett (Newcastle United), Declan John (Swansea City); Joe Allen (Stoke City), Aaron Ramsey (Arsenal), Andy King (Leicester City), David Brooks (Bournemouth), Matthew Smith (Twente, on loan from Manchester City); Gareth Bale (Real Madrid), Ben Woodburn (Sheffield United), Harry Wilson (Derby County), Tom Lawrence (Derby County), Sam Vokes (Burnley), George Thomas (Scunthorpe United), Tyler Roberts (Leeds United).

Related items

  • Zidane unfazed by Mourinho speculation Zidane unfazed by Mourinho speculation

    Under-fire coach Zinedine Zidane insists he has no regrets about returning to Real Madrid and says he is not affected by speculation that Jose Mourinho could replace him.

    The Frenchman has struggled to rekindle the magic that saw him win three consecutive Champions League titles between 2016 and 2018 since replacing Santiago Solari in March.

    Los Blancos have won just two of their four LaLiga games so far this season and slipped to a humbling 3-0 defeat to Paris Saint-Germain in the Champions League on Wednesday.

    That defeat has led to fresh questions about his future, with the Madrid board rumoured to be considering swapping Zidane for former boss Mourinho.

    However, Zidane says he is unfazed by the speculation and remains focused on preparing his side to face Sevilla in LaLiga on Sunday.

    "If I read the press, it says I'm gone," he told a media conference. "I feel strong. I have learned to never back down and to keep working until the very last moment.

    "I'm not thinking about leaving. I'm only thinking of winning tomorrow. The difficulties that they speak of on the outside are something we can't control.

    "I made the decision to come back because I liked the look of the new project. Now I am here, I will try. We have to be together to achieve our objectives."

    Asked about speculation that Mourinho could replace him, Zidane added: "It doesn't bother me to hear about Mourinho; it is what it is. Here, you lose one game and you have to change everything."

    Sevilla are top of LaLiga after three wins from their opening four games and Zidane says his players need to continue working hard if they are to return to winning ways.

    "We must give everything we can to win the game," he said. "It's a difficult stadium but it's always going to be like that.

    "We have to keep working hard, prepare well for games and change things around. That's football. We have a chance to change it round quickly. That's what helps me get through.

    "We can't talk about everything that goes on outside the club and respond to all the criticism."

  • Rumour Has It: Zidane angers Real Madrid board with decision Rumour Has It: Zidane angers Real Madrid board with decision

    Zinedine Zidane is already under pressure at Real Madrid and his latest move displeased the LaLiga giants' board.

    Madrid have made a slow start to the season, winning two of four LaLiga games and suffering a humbling defeat to Paris Saint-Germain in the Champions League.

    A decision Zidane made after that loss has reportedly upset the leaders at Madrid.

     

    TOP STORY – ZIDANE ANGERS REAL MADRID BOARD WITH DECISION

    Zidane's decision to give his players a day off on Thursday in the wake of their PSG defeat angered Real Madrid's board, according to Mundo Deportivo.

    The latest report just adds to what has been a tough return to the Santiago Bernabeu for Zidane, back at the helm for a second stint.

    With plenty of talk around his future, Sport reports it would cost Madrid €80million to sack Zidane, who signed a three-year deal in March.

     

    ROUND-UP

    - The man Zidane replaced, Santiago Solari, is close to landing a new job. Solari is the favourite to be the first coach of MLS side Inter Miami, according to beIN SPORTS.

    - Juventus knew what they needed in the close season. Calciomercato says the Serie A champions prioritised the signing of Matthijs de Ligt for a reported €75m from Ajax over trying to land Joao Felix, who ended up at Atletico Madrid from Benfica.

    - Nemanja Matic appears on the way out at Manchester United and Inter have been offered the midfielder, according to Calciomercato. However, the report says Matic is not a priority for Antonio Conte.

    - Staying at Old Trafford and Manchester United are holding contract talks with 19-year-old midfielder Angel Gomes, according to the Manchester Evening News. Gomes is in the final year of his current deal and Barcelona are reportedly interested.

    - Premier League clubs are on alert with Barcelona wanting to raise funds by selling midfielder Ivan Rakitic and defender Samuel Umtiti, according to the Daily Mail. The LaLiga giants are reportedly looking to raise at least €124m this season.

    - AC Milan have held talks about possibly signing 20-year-old San Lorenzo forward Adolfo Gaich, according to Calciomercato. The Serie A side opted not to pursue a deal for the one-time Argentina international in the close season.

  • Neymar is happy in Brazil squad – Tite Neymar is happy in Brazil squad – Tite

    Tite insisted Neymar is happy playing for Brazil amid uncertainty at club level for the Paris Saint-Germain star.

    Neymar was booed by PSG fans during his first appearance of the season for the Ligue 1 giants last week, but the forward scored a late winner against Strasbourg.

    The 27-year-old had already played for Brazil after a transfer saga during which he was expected to join Barcelona, and Tite said the star was happy with the national team.

    "Neymar is happy. Neymar is happy in the Brazil national squad," Tite told a news conference on Friday.

    "And I'm talking about the national squad and to all the people who are near us and know how our daily routine is like here. Because this is a theme of conversation among us. He is happy here.

    "We can't control other situations … what I can say is that, yes, he is happy and showed this during the matches more than any other thing."

    Neymar was named in Brazil's squad for friendlies against Senegal and Nigeria in Singapore next month.

    Asked about the quality of the opposition, Tite said it was difficult to organise matches against top nations, revealing a proposed meeting with Germany never eventuated.

    "That's a calendar issue. We just can't change it. We get in touch with all the best national squads. And, when we can't play against them, it's because we've tried but they didn't want to play against us," he said.

    "Can I give Germany [as an] example? Germany proposed us a date. We said yes. Then they proposed another day. We said yes again. Then they informed us that they didn't want to play anymore. I'm giving you information."

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.