EFL

Villa defender De Laet joins Melbourne City on loan

By Sports Desk September 13, 2018

Aston Villa defender Ritchie De Laet joined A-League club Melbourne City on a season-long loan. 

The two-time Belgium international, 29, reunites with City coach Warren Joyce, who worked with De Laet at Royal Antwerp and while in charge of Manchester United's reserves.

De Laet, who was part of Leicester City's Premier League-winning squad in the first half of 2015-16, has struggled for game time since joining Villa two years ago.

"Ritchie has a lot of experience at a very high level and his quality and versatility provides us with a number of options," Joyce said of De Laet, who joins City as a marquee player.

"I know Ritchie well having coached him before during my time in England and Belgium. He can play as a defender or across the midfield with quality on the ball to help link defence and attack."

De Laet spent the second half of last campaign on loan at Royal Antwerp, the club where he started his professional career.

He is keen to reunite with Joyce as City prepare for their A-League campaign, which begins with a derby clash against Victory on October 20.

"I'm excited to join a club like Melbourne City with big ambitions, that plays attractive football and has a very strong coaching group, led by a coach I know well, Warren Joyce," De Laet said.

"I enjoyed playing under Warren earlier in my career. He's a coach that's always looking to help improve players and demands hard work.

"I'm looking forward to getting out in front of the fans and helping contribute to the team this year."

 

Related items

  • Giroud will stay at Chelsea, insists Sarri Giroud will stay at Chelsea, insists Sarri

    Olivier Giroud will stay at Chelsea next season even if he is frustrated with a lack of playing time, according to head coach Maurizio Sarri.

    The striker admitted this week that he is unhappy with his role as a back-up to Gonzalo Higuain and Eden Hazard in attack, having made only seven Premier League starts in 2018-19.

    The 32-year-old has been linked with a return to France with Lyon, although any transfer plans are complicated by Chelsea having been banned by FIFA from registering new players for the next two transfer windows for breaking rules related to the signing of overseas youngsters.

    And Sarri says they intend to keep Giroud, having already decided to take up the option to extend his contract for a further 12 months.

    "He is sure, because the club has an option for another year, another season," he told Sky Sports News when asked if Giroud is unsure of his future.

    "I spoke to the club two days ago and we agreed to exercise the option. So, he will remain.

    "He cannot do anything, but I spoke with the club and I spoke with Marina [Granovskaia] two days ago and Olivier will remain with us and she didn't say to me anything about this question."

    Giroud was on target in Thursday's 4-3 Europa League win over Slavia Prague as the Blues progressed to the semi-finals 5-3 on aggregate. 

  • Koulibaly not drawn on future after Napoli loss Koulibaly not drawn on future after Napoli loss

    Napoli defender Kalidou Koulibaly refused to be drawn on his future, but played down suggestions he was too good to be in the Serie A.

    Koulibaly, 27, has been linked with a move to Manchester United and coach Carlo Ancelotti said the centre-back was worth €150million, but not for sale.

    After Napoli lost to Arsenal in the Europa League quarter-finals, the Senegal international was asked if the Serie A was enough for him.

    "Why? I grew up in this league. It's the league that made me the player I am today," Koulibaly said.

    "To me what matters most is to finish the season well, then we'll see.

    "I am sorry because we wanted to go through."

    Alexandre Lacazette's first-half goal saw Arsenal beat Napoli 1-0 in the second leg, wrapping up a 3-0 aggregate success.

    Koulibaly was saddened by his side's defeat and lamented their first-leg performance in London.

    "It's our fault, we should have been a bit tougher, have more anger to score goals, and we didn't have it," he said.

    "But at this level, when you do a wrong first half as we did the first leg, it's hard to come back. We saw it tonight and we are very sorry."

  • Manchester City lay on Wembley coaches for fans Manchester City lay on Wembley coaches for fans

    Manchester City's players will fund coach travel for supporters attending next month's FA Cup final against Watford. 

    Each member of the City first-team squad will fund a bus, making 26 in total, subject to demand. 

    "The support from our fans throughout the season has been nothing short of incredible," City captain Vincent Kompany told his club's official website. 

    "Travelling to so many games in league and cup competitions, both home and away, is not easy to do and is something that every player in our squad values and appreciates." 

    City were knocked out of the Champions League on away goals by Tottenham on Wednesday when a dramatic tie ended 4-4 on aggregate at the Etihad Stadium. 

    Pep Guardiola's team remain in contention for an unprecedented domestic treble, as they continue to march on blow-for-blow with Liverpool at the top of the Premier League after lifting the EFL Cup thanks to a penalty shoot-out triumph over Chelsea February. 

    Those exertions mean the Watford game will be City's fifth trip to Wembley this season, with supporters having criticised both high ticket prices and limited public transport provision back to Manchester from London following kick-offs in the late afternoon.

    "Although last night’s result [against Tottenham] was not the one that we had hoped for, it was very special to hear our fans in full voice for 90 minutes backing the team," Kompany added. 

    "We still have so much to fight for this season and this is our way of saying thank you to them for being with us every step of the way." 

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.